Jump to content
rllmuk
skittles

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, skittles said:

Is there a big difference in the AMD ryzen 5 3600 and the AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X

 

?

I ask because I just got a discount code for this brand and am considering if I should jump up to the 7 3700x. Any thoughts on these two as a comparison?

 

 

Screenshot_20200629-164201.png

Screenshot_20200627-122912.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, strider said:

 

On pure specs to me, that looks really good.

 

The only thing that immediately leaps out is that machine might be very slightly held back by them going slightly slow on that RAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

On pure specs to me, that looks really good.

 

The only thing that immediately leaps out is that machine might be very slightly held back by them going slightly slow on that RAM.

Is that cheap to replace? Otherwise I can simply add the 2070 to that Chillblast build and then it comes to the same price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly will be by the time it's remotely an issue.

 

It's not a big difference, they're shipping 3000 but that machine would benefit from 3200 or even 3600 iirc.

 

The experts here will probably be able to do a better job of explaining if it matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen can have issues with slower RAM speeds for sure. Really, the a 3700 should have at least 3200mhz in it.

 

I know when I upgraded my 2700 to a 3900 last year, I had no end of issues even with the 3200 I had in it. Only by upgrading once again to a higher speed that it was sorted out.

 

I'd imagine though if Scan have bunged in the 3000 speed in it, they'd have tested it to make sure it runs okay though, so possibly not too much to worry about there - I trust Scan a fair old bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, milko said:

 

There's sometimes a bit of a saving due to buying it all from the same place prebuilt, I think of it as being a bit like how buying a complete bicycle is usually a lot cheaper than buying all the components and a frame. The difference is usually in the details, the compromises tend to be on the less-obvious parts so maybe the motherboard is a slightly less good one than you might have chosen, the HDD a smidge slower model, the PSU not as beefy. Or on a bike when the rear mech is the prestige model and the rest of the drivetrain is a step lower. The difference is definitely less pronounced on PCs though, must be some razor thin margins out there.

 

 

Indeed. My gpu is made by Palit which wouldn't of been my 1st choice of manufacturer.  I'm usually a MSI or Asus guy. Also I always go with an Intel and Nvidia combo while it's not best bang for buck I found there have been less compatibility issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeK said:

I'd imagine though if Scan have bunged in the 3000 speed in it, they'd have tested it to make sure it runs okay though, so possibly not too much to worry about there - I trust Scan a fair old bit.

I've been recommended Scan via DM so I think I'm inclined to go for that one. Out of interest, what sort of framerate would I get if I picked up a 4K monitor down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intel CPU's aren't as fussed about ram speed as AMD/Ryzen are - 3000 should be fine for now 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Uzi said:

As nice as it is to get interest into the pc building/gaming realm - this is an awkward time to do it because of the new GPU tech literally a few months ago. I would recommend to anyone who can wait to hold off until later in the year for better options just around the corner.

 

Yep, you don't want to be buying a 2070 for close to RRP, when the new cards won't be much more.  Also, 2nd hand prices on the previous gen will plummet, meaning bargains to be had!  

 

What's the latest release rumour, August/September?  3090/80 first, then 3070 a month or so after?  It's not long to wait for something that could save you £'s or mean you can get a super shiny new GPU...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

 

Yep, you don't want to be buying a 2070 for close to RRP, when the new cards won't be much more.  Also, 2nd hand prices on the previous gen will plummet, meaning bargains to be had!  

 

What's the latest release rumour, August/September?  3090/80 first, then 3070 a month or so after?  It's not long to wait for something that could save you £'s or mean you can get a super shiny new GPU...

 

Yep around then - the main point is AMD are rumoured to also release RDNA2 cards around the same time which may actually bring some competition into the higher end GPU market which hasn't been seen in years. Even if the Nvidia cards are better (which history suggest they will be) - they will be more price sensitive to competition if AMD hit low enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uzi said:

 

Yep around then - the main point is AMD are rumoured to also release RDNA2 cards around the same time which may actually bring some competition into the higher end GPU market which hasn't been seen in years. Even if the Nvidia cards are better (which history suggest they will be) - they will be more price sensitive to competition if AMD hit low enough. 

 

Nvidia don't ever tend to really price their cards relative to AMD though, do they, because they just don't have the market share? The 5700 & 5700XT offer comfortably better £/performance than the green team equivalents and yet prices haven't really budged all that much. I don't think that's going to change overnight, either - it'll need probably a few gens of AMD being objectively better before they become a serious enough threat that Nvidia actually have to step-up their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

 

Nvidia don't ever tend to really price their cards relative to AMD though, do they, because they just don't have the market share? The 5700 & 5700XT offer comfortably better £/performance than the green team equivalents and yet prices haven't really budged all that much. I don't think that's going to change overnight, either - it'll need probably a few gens of AMD being objectively better before they become a serious enough threat that Nvidia actually have to step-up their game.

 

Intel probably thought the same for years and they haven't adapted and Ryzen has been doing well as a result.

 

Not saying it will happen - saying it has been years and years since AMD haven even seriously attempted to compete in the higher end and they're powering both the PS5 and xbox series X so will be interesting what they can do with even higher end PC. I wouldn't totally count them out not making nvidia even take note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Uzi Hopefully it does have an impact, yes, because consumers will benefit. Guess it is an exciting time regardless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uzi said:

 

Intel probably thought the same for years and they haven't adapted and Ryzen has been doing well as a result.

 

Not saying it will happen - saying it has been years and years since AMD haven even seriously attempted to compete in the higher end and they're powering both the PS5 and xbox series X so will be interesting what they can do with even higher end PC. I wouldn't totally count them out not making nvidia even take note.

Nvidia haven't been sat around with thumbs in their ass like Intel. AMD have nothing to compete with the 1080ti yet Nvidia have released two completely updated and faster architectures in that time. Nvidia compete in the datacentre market which has the benefit of pushing along their consumer parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, skittles said:

Is there a big difference in the AMD ryzen 5 3600 and the AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X

 

?

 

The 3700x has more cores and threads, but it's also over £100 more than the 3600. I'd say the 3600 is much better value.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2020 at 13:17, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

See the problem is,  this bugger at nasty old Currys is 1399  https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/pc-specialist-vortex-st-s-gaming-pc-intel-core-i7-rtx-2070-super-2-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10196471-pdt.html

 

one of Rllmuk or a friends could probaby make that for about 1100


This one has twice the SSD size and a 10th gen processor for the same price. The clock speed is marginally lower (2.9 vs 3) - don’t know how that all nets out performance wise, but the extra storage space might be nice: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/pc-specialist-vortex-st-s-gaming-pc-intel-core-i7-rtx-2070-super-2-tb-hdd-512-gb-ssd-10205562-pdt.html

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went all ARGB on mine. Other than a couple of main power cables it would have been a cable-less build otherwise. :/


IMG-20200629-222659.jpg

IMG-20200629-222646.jpgIMG-20200629-222854.jpg


The cooling just about breaks even with seven fans (lol), and I had to take the glass off last summer, but it looks great. Actually it looks a lot more Cyberpunk without the glass on.

 

I like the rubber handles. I can quickly whip it out and lug it downstairs for 4K in the living room using just one hand.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mitchell said:

 

Yep, you don't want to be buying a 2070 for close to RRP, when the new cards won't be much more.  Also, 2nd hand prices on the previous gen will plummet, meaning bargains to be had!  

 

What's the latest release rumour, August/September?  3090/80 first, then 3070 a month or so after?  It's not long to wait for something that could save you £'s or mean you can get a super shiny new GPU...

 

The problem for me is, likely I'm going to furloughed until the end of Sept.

 

No point buying a shiny now and then going back in October and having fuck all time to play with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

The problem for me is, likely I'm going to furloughed until the end of Sept.

 

No point buying a shiny now and then going back in October and having fuck all time to play with it.

Can play a lot of games in 3 months..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Build the best spec you can now, but get a second hand GTX 1060 for about £100-120. That'll play anything current at decent 1080p settings. Then go big on a GPU upgrade when the new stuff hits and sell the 1060.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have ordered a new PC :ph34r:

Does anyone have any advice for good things to buy from the steam sale?

I've picked up Yakuza 0 but I'm eyeing up Monster Hunter World as I'd imagine that will be a good showcase for showing off my new system.

I've added Bullet Storm to my list too as I loved the original and always had issues previously running it in Steam.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Build the best spec you can now, but get a second hand GTX 1060 for about £100-120. That'll play anything current at decent 1080p settings. Then go big on a GPU upgrade when the new stuff hits and sell the 1060.


Sad as it may be I’m actually contemplating picking up a more base line graphics card and selling off my 2080ti whilst the prices are still high enough to make the thought of a 3080/90 (whatever it is) more palatable :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeK said:


Sad as it may be I’m actually contemplating picking up a more base line graphics card and selling off my 2080ti whilst the prices are still high enough to make the thought of a 3080/90 (whatever it is) more palatable :p 

 

I don't blame you and genuinely think it's a good idea. I have a 2070 Super in my home desktop and a GTX 1060 laptop and I'm more than happy with the laptop performance. Plus, I think things are pretty flat for the next few months release wise, so I'd just be plumbing through my back catalogue anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, strider said:

I may have ordered a new PC :ph34r:

Does anyone have any advice for good things to buy from the steam sale?

I've picked up Yakuza 0 but I'm eyeing up Monster Hunter World as I'd imagine that will be a good showcase for showing off my new system.

I've added Bullet Storm to my list too as I loved the original and always had issues previously running it in Steam.

 

Check CD Keys, it was 9.99 on there the other day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Steam sales are not quite what they used to be - it's actually very rare I buy direct from Steam these days ...unless it's something I'm really not sure about and want to return if I don't get on with it.

 

Although looking at my Steam Library this doesn't happen an awful lot ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Danster said:

Check CD Keys, it was 9.99 on there the other day

Will that work on Steam, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.