rllmuk
skittles

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

1 minute ago, strider said:

Will that work on Steam, though?

Yup - on every PC game they sell there should be a symbol saying what platform it's on (Steam, GOG etc) - I picked up Monster Hunter from CD-Keys with no issues.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, strider said:

I may have ordered a new PC :ph34r:

Does anyone have any advice for good things to buy from the steam sale?

I've picked up Yakuza 0 but I'm eyeing up Monster Hunter World as I'd imagine that will be a good showcase for showing off my new system.

I've added Bullet Storm to my list too as I loved the original and always had issues previously running it in Steam.

The Yakuza games are coming to Game Pass (0 and Kiwami are already on there right now), if that's a series you want to play all of.

2 hours ago, skittles said:

Can play a lot of games in 3 months..

Excactly.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Build the best spec you can now, but get a second hand GTX 1060 for about £100-120. That'll play anything current at decent 1080p settings. Then go big on a GPU upgrade when the new stuff hits and sell the 1060.

It's tempting but I part of the upgrade rationale is VR.  I think what I'm more likely to do is get a 2070 super now and then a 4070 in 2.5 years when they appear.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I don't blame you and genuinely think it's a good idea. I have a 2070 Super in my home desktop and a GTX 1060 laptop and I'm more than happy with the laptop performance. Plus, I think things are pretty flat for the next few months release wise, so I'd just be plumbing through my back catalogue anyway.

I think DLSS 2.0 will bring some good longevity out of RTX cards. My first thought was gotta dump the 2080ti I own so put it into the 3080/3090 or whatever is coming but when I saw everyone recently played Cyberpunk with DLSS 2.0 from day one and the absolute magic that is and I think I will just hold on to it and hope DLSS 2.0 keeps coming to big games. No one needs native res in demanding titles anymore because of it and it now is the thing that 10 series cards are truly missing out on.

So if you're getting a 20 series card now - it'll be okay I think.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The Yakuza games are coming to Game Pass (0 and Kiwami are already on there right now), if that's a series you want to play all of.

I have 0 so I quite like the sound of the second one. I did subscribe to Game Pass the other day but I'm currently on Windows 7 which I'm guessing is why I couldn't get it to install.

Am I right in thinking that my existing Xbox One games will run on PC?

1 minute ago, strider said:

I have 0 so I quite like the sound of the second one. I did subscribe to Game Pass the other day but I'm currently on Windows 7 which I'm guessing is why I couldn't get it to install.

No, but it would be a lovely idea :(

27 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I think DLSS 2.0 will bring some good longevity out of RTX cards. My first thought was gotta dump the 2080ti I own so put it into the 3080/3090 or whatever is coming but when I saw everyone recently played Cyberpunk with DLSS 2.0 from day one and the absolute magic that is and I think I will just hold on to it and hope DLSS 2.0 keeps coming to big games. No one needs native res in demanding titles anymore because of it and it now is the thing that 10 series cards are truly missing out on.

Thank you for reminding me about DLSS - that might well stay my hand :) 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I love that I understood absolutely nothing. So much to learn.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

No, but it would be a lovely idea :(

I've just found the list and I have Forza Horizon 3 and 4, Gears 4, Enter The Gungeon and that's about it.

For some reason I thought all my Xbox Live Arcade games would be compatible.

23 minutes ago, strider said:

I would love to be able to access Xbox 360 digital games.  I had bought Outrun C2C on the 360 which I missed out on Steam due to delisting.

18 minutes ago, simms said:

I would love to be able to access Xbox 360 digital games.  I had bought Outrun C2C on the 360 which I missed out on Steam due to delisting.

Same here. The new PC I just bought doesn't come with a drive so I'm going to have to get an external one so I can play OutRun. It's the only physical game I own. I'm gutted I wasn't into PC games when it first game out because it looks glorious.

You guys know about the Outrun 2 PC patch that gives you 4K and force feedback, yeah?

Or if you have an Nvidia GPU you can emulate the arcade original...

edit: I’ve just been made aware there is an AMD shader fix in the latest version of Teknoparrot 

That's tonight sorted. Old system is 7 years old so time for a refresh. Thought about waiting for new cards or zen 3 or whatever but fuck it. Time to jump.

IMG_20200630_132118_compress22.thumb.jpg.103f3bd26852338b7b14572e04d938b3.jpg

Fractal Define 7 case

Ryzen 7 3700X

X570 mobo

32gb ram

2 nvme drives

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Oh, and a 2070 Super.

Excellent spec btw - if it had to recommend the best bang for buck high end system you hit the mark both CPU and GPU wise! 

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

Excellent spec btw - if it had to recommend the best bang for buck high end system you hit the mark both CPU and GPU wise! 

I think the CPU might be a little out for gaming but I also work as a software developer and edit some photos so a few more cores and threads is a big win for me there.

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I think the CPU might be a little out for gaming but I also work as a software developer and edit some photos so a few more cores and threads is a big win for me there.

True the 3600 might do most people for gaming alone (and I wouldn't class it as a high end cpu - just an insanely good value one that is perfect for gaming atm) but if you're already investing that much in a system I would go for a 3700/X because it matches the core and thread zen count of consoles. I think as the gen goes along - CPU and core usage will go up.

I've just taken a brief break from work to read up about DLSS 2.0. Really, astonishing stuff, and should put existing RTX cards way out in front of the upcoming consoles.

It's too bad my 1080Ti doesn't have tensor cores. :( For Cyberpunk I think I should be alright, still. I'll just have to lock at 60fps and play on Medium/High (which will still look great, especially at 4K). ENB will likely be out of the equation.

Anyone know when the 30 series might be coming? I need to plan carefully.

11 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I've just taken a brief break from work to read up about DLSS 2.0. Really, astonishing stuff, and should put existing RTX cards way out in front of the upcoming consoles.

It's too bad my 1080Ti doesn't have tensor cores. :( For Cyberpunk I think I should be alright, still. I'll just have to lock at 60fps and play on Medium/High (which will still look great, especially at 4K). ENB will likely be out of the equation.

Anyone know when the 30 series might be coming? I need to plan carefully.

Being announced in August is the current info

• Upvote 1

Had no confirmation of my new PC. It turns out that I wasn't signed in and it matched the order to a ten-year old email address.

Anyway it's all sorted now so I just have to play the waiting game while it's assembled and built.

It's like ordering the world's most expensive pizza :lol:459531386_pizzapc.thumb.png.a8e6b326d24bdc95dbfe906b85ed1bbd.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

That's tonight sorted. Old system is 7 years old so time for a refresh. Thought about waiting for new cards or zen 3 or whatever but fuck it. Time to jump.

IMG_20200630_132118_compress22.thumb.jpg.103f3bd26852338b7b14572e04d938b3.jpg

Fractal Define 7 case

Ryzen 7 3700X

X570 mobo

32gb ram

2 nvme drives

I want to believe that the lego sets are part of the build somehow.

47 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I want to believe that the lego sets are part of the build somehow.

Should have skipped buying a case and built one instead.

5 hours ago, StoooTube said:

You guys know about the Outrun 2 PC patch that gives you 4K and force feedback, yeah?

Or if you have an Nvidia GPU you can emulate the arcade original...

edit: I’ve just been made aware there is an AMD shader fix in the latest version of Teknoparrot 

Tell me more!!  Ar we taking about Outrun C2C or the original Outrun?

2 hours ago, simms said:

Tell me more!!  Ar we taking about Outrun C2C or the original Outrun?

For PC Outrun C2C there’s a resolution patch and FFB patch, you’ll find all the info here:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/OutRun_2006:_Coast_2_Coast

Alternatively you can emulate the Lindbergh Arcade version of Outrun 2 SP SDX with Teknoparrot. There’s a few patches - such as a patch for AMD / Nvidia shaders, resolutions up to 4K. You should also get FFB with this too (I haven’t tried this yet). Have a google for Teknoparrot and see how you get on. If you get stuck give me a shout as I set it up tonight with all the up to date files. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, strider said:

Same here. The new PC I just bought doesn't come with a drive so I'm going to have to get an external one so I can play OutRun. It's the only physical game I own. I'm gutted I wasn't into PC games when it first game out because it looks glorious.

The sad thing is, there is a Steam copy.  You just can't buy it anymore because bastards.

• Upvote 1

After getting held up by finding a baby bat on my landing and getting someone out to take care of it I finally got my build done.

Booted first time and all elements reporting as expected.

No flashing lights here (I specifically picked a 'black' motherboard) and cables pretty tidy first go.

IMG_20200630_230238_compress1.thumb.jpg.ab1444620da0ec7db104e3f1a7d8e9e9.jpg

IMG_20200630_230252_compress60.thumb.jpg.cd4b7ecca6b5b8100ffbf891da53e7b4.jpg

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The sad thing is, there is a Steam copy.  You just can't buy it anymore because bastards.

image.png.ad790a84fad0bac68eba3135787b8455.png

:D 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

On 29/06/2020 at 10:32, JoeK said:

Ryzen can have issues with slower RAM speeds for sure. Really, the a 3700 should have at least 3200mhz in it.

I know when I upgraded my 2700 to a 3900 last year, I had no end of issues even with the 3200 I had in it. Only by upgrading once again to a higher speed that it was sorted out.

I'd imagine though if Scan have bunged in the 3000 speed in it, they'd have tested it to make sure it runs okay though, so possibly not too much to worry about there - I trust Scan a fair old bit.

8 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

image.png.a5da6a425000eed141b461f35daac8d6.png

o/, etc

Ditto :) But that's not gonna help Strider.