Jump to content
rllmuk
skittles

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, strider said:

Will that work on Steam, though?

 

Yup - on every PC game they sell there should be a symbol saying what platform it's on (Steam, GOG etc) - I picked up Monster Hunter from CD-Keys with no issues.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider said:

I may have ordered a new PC :ph34r:

Does anyone have any advice for good things to buy from the steam sale?

I've picked up Yakuza 0 but I'm eyeing up Monster Hunter World as I'd imagine that will be a good showcase for showing off my new system.

I've added Bullet Storm to my list too as I loved the original and always had issues previously running it in Steam.

 

 

The Yakuza games are coming to Game Pass (0 and Kiwami are already on there right now), if that's a series you want to play all of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skittles said:

Can play a lot of games in 3 months..

 

Excactly.

 

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Build the best spec you can now, but get a second hand GTX 1060 for about £100-120. That'll play anything current at decent 1080p settings. Then go big on a GPU upgrade when the new stuff hits and sell the 1060.

 

It's tempting but I part of the upgrade rationale is VR.  I think what I'm more likely to do is get a 2070 super now and then a 4070 in 2.5 years when they appear.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

 

I don't blame you and genuinely think it's a good idea. I have a 2070 Super in my home desktop and a GTX 1060 laptop and I'm more than happy with the laptop performance. Plus, I think things are pretty flat for the next few months release wise, so I'd just be plumbing through my back catalogue anyway.

 

I think DLSS 2.0 will bring some good longevity out of RTX cards. My first thought was gotta dump the 2080ti I own so put it into the 3080/3090 or whatever is coming but when I saw everyone recently played Cyberpunk with DLSS 2.0 from day one and the absolute magic that is and I think I will just hold on to it and hope DLSS 2.0 keeps coming to big games. No one needs native res in demanding titles anymore because of it and it now is the thing that 10 series cards are truly missing out on.

 

So if you're getting a 20 series card now - it'll be okay I think.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gabe said:

 

The Yakuza games are coming to Game Pass (0 and Kiwami are already on there right now), if that's a series you want to play all of.

I have 0 so I quite like the sound of the second one. I did subscribe to Game Pass the other day but I'm currently on Windows 7 which I'm guessing is why I couldn't get it to install.

Am I right in thinking that my existing Xbox One games will run on PC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider said:

I have 0 so I quite like the sound of the second one. I did subscribe to Game Pass the other day but I'm currently on Windows 7 which I'm guessing is why I couldn't get it to install.

Am I right in thinking that my existing Xbox One games will run on PC?

 

No, but it would be a lovely idea :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Uzi said:

 

I think DLSS 2.0 will bring some good longevity out of RTX cards. My first thought was gotta dump the 2080ti I own so put it into the 3080/3090 or whatever is coming but when I saw everyone recently played Cyberpunk with DLSS 2.0 from day one and the absolute magic that is and I think I will just hold on to it and hope DLSS 2.0 keeps coming to big games. No one needs native res in demanding titles anymore because of it and it now is the thing that 10 series cards are truly missing out on.

 

So if you're getting a 20 series card now - it'll be okay I think.

 

Thank you for reminding me about DLSS - that might well stay my hand :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Uzi said:

 

I think DLSS 2.0 will bring some good longevity out of RTX cards. My first thought was gotta dump the 2080ti I own so put it into the 3080/3090 or whatever is coming but when I saw everyone recently played Cyberpunk with DLSS 2.0 from day one and the absolute magic that is and I think I will just hold on to it and hope DLSS 2.0 keeps coming to big games. No one needs native res in demanding titles anymore because of it and it now is the thing that 10 series cards are truly missing out on.

 

So if you're getting a 20 series card now - it'll be okay I think.

I love that I understood absolutely nothing. So much to learn.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

No, but it would be a lovely idea :(

I've just found the list and I have Forza Horizon 3 and 4, Gears 4, Enter The Gungeon and that's about it.

For some reason I thought all my Xbox Live Arcade games would be compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, strider said:

Am I right in thinking that my existing Xbox One games will run on PC?

 

I would love to be able to access Xbox 360 digital games.  I had bought Outrun C2C on the 360 which I missed out on Steam due to delisting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, simms said:

 

I would love to be able to access Xbox 360 digital games.  I had bought Outrun C2C on the 360 which I missed out on Steam due to delisting.

Same here. The new PC I just bought doesn't come with a drive so I'm going to have to get an external one so I can play OutRun. It's the only physical game I own. I'm gutted I wasn't into PC games when it first game out because it looks glorious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys know about the Outrun 2 PC patch that gives you 4K and force feedback, yeah?

 

Or if you have an Nvidia GPU you can emulate the arcade original...

 

edit: I’ve just been made aware there is an AMD shader fix in the latest version of Teknoparrot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's tonight sorted. Old system is 7 years old so time for a refresh. Thought about waiting for new cards or zen 3 or whatever but fuck it. Time to jump.

 

IMG_20200630_132118_compress22.thumb.jpg.103f3bd26852338b7b14572e04d938b3.jpg

 

Fractal Define 7 case

Ryzen 7 3700X

X570 mobo

32gb ram

2 nvme drives

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Oh, and a 2070 Super.

Excellent spec btw - if it had to recommend the best bang for buck high end system you hit the mark both CPU and GPU wise! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Uzi said:

Excellent spec btw - if it had to recommend the best bang for buck high end system you hit the mark both CPU and GPU wise! 

 

I think the CPU might be a little out for gaming but I also work as a software developer and edit some photos so a few more cores and threads is a big win for me there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

 

I think the CPU might be a little out for gaming but I also work as a software developer and edit some photos so a few more cores and threads is a big win for me there.

 

True the 3600 might do most people for gaming alone (and I wouldn't class it as a high end cpu - just an insanely good value one that is perfect for gaming atm) but if you're already investing that much in a system I would go for a 3700/X because it matches the core and thread zen count of consoles. I think as the gen goes along - CPU and core usage will go up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just taken a brief break from work to read up about DLSS 2.0. Really, astonishing stuff, and should put existing RTX cards way out in front of the upcoming consoles.

 

It's too bad my 1080Ti doesn't have tensor cores. :( For Cyberpunk I think I should be alright, still. I'll just have to lock at 60fps and play on Medium/High (which will still look great, especially at 4K). ENB will likely be out of the equation.

Anyone know when the 30 series might be coming? I need to plan carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I've just taken a brief break from work to read up about DLSS 2.0. Really, astonishing stuff, and should put existing RTX cards way out in front of the upcoming consoles.

 

It's too bad my 1080Ti doesn't have tensor cores. :( For Cyberpunk I think I should be alright, still. I'll just have to lock at 60fps and play on Medium/High (which will still look great, especially at 4K). ENB will likely be out of the equation.

Anyone know when the 30 series might be coming? I need to plan carefully.

 

Being announced in August is the current info

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had no confirmation of my new PC. It turns out that I wasn't signed in and it matched the order to a ten-year old email address.

Anyway it's all sorted now so I just have to play the waiting game while it's assembled and built.

It's like ordering the world's most expensive pizza :lol:459531386_pizzapc.thumb.png.a8e6b326d24bdc95dbfe906b85ed1bbd.png

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

That's tonight sorted. Old system is 7 years old so time for a refresh. Thought about waiting for new cards or zen 3 or whatever but fuck it. Time to jump.

 

IMG_20200630_132118_compress22.thumb.jpg.103f3bd26852338b7b14572e04d938b3.jpg

 

Fractal Define 7 case

Ryzen 7 3700X

X570 mobo

32gb ram

2 nvme drives

 

I want to believe that the lego sets are part of the build somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, cowfields said:

 

I want to believe that the lego sets are part of the build somehow.

 

Should have skipped buying a case and built one instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StoooTube said:

You guys know about the Outrun 2 PC patch that gives you 4K and force feedback, yeah?

 

Or if you have an Nvidia GPU you can emulate the arcade original...

 

edit: I’ve just been made aware there is an AMD shader fix in the latest version of Teknoparrot 

 

Tell me more!!  Ar we taking about Outrun C2C or the original Outrun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, simms said:

 

Tell me more!!  Ar we taking about Outrun C2C or the original Outrun?


For PC Outrun C2C there’s a resolution patch and FFB patch, you’ll find all the info here:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/OutRun_2006:_Coast_2_Coast
 

Alternatively you can emulate the Lindbergh Arcade version of Outrun 2 SP SDX with Teknoparrot. There’s a few patches - such as a patch for AMD / Nvidia shaders, resolutions up to 4K. You should also get FFB with this too (I haven’t tried this yet). Have a google for Teknoparrot and see how you get on. If you get stuck give me a shout as I set it up tonight with all the up to date files. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, strider said:

Same here. The new PC I just bought doesn't come with a drive so I'm going to have to get an external one so I can play OutRun. It's the only physical game I own. I'm gutted I wasn't into PC games when it first game out because it looks glorious.

 

The sad thing is, there is a Steam copy.  You just can't buy it anymore because bastards.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After getting held up by finding a baby bat on my landing and getting someone out to take care of it I finally got my build done.

 

Booted first time and all elements reporting as expected.

 

No flashing lights here (I specifically picked a 'black' motherboard) and cables pretty tidy first go.

 

IMG_20200630_230238_compress1.thumb.jpg.ab1444620da0ec7db104e3f1a7d8e9e9.jpg

 

IMG_20200630_230252_compress60.thumb.jpg.cd4b7ecca6b5b8100ffbf891da53e7b4.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

The sad thing is, there is a Steam copy.  You just can't buy it anymore because bastards.

image.png.ad790a84fad0bac68eba3135787b8455.png

:D 

  • Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2020 at 10:32, JoeK said:

Ryzen can have issues with slower RAM speeds for sure. Really, the a 3700 should have at least 3200mhz in it.

 

I know when I upgraded my 2700 to a 3900 last year, I had no end of issues even with the 3200 I had in it. Only by upgrading once again to a higher speed that it was sorted out.

 

I'd imagine though if Scan have bunged in the 3000 speed in it, they'd have tested it to make sure it runs okay though, so possibly not too much to worry about there - I trust Scan a fair old bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

 

image.png.a5da6a425000eed141b461f35daac8d6.png

 

o/, etc

 

Ditto :) But that's not gonna help Strider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.