rllmuk
skittles

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

On 30/06/2020 at 10:07, strider said:

I may have ordered a new PC :ph34r:

Does anyone have any advice for good things to buy from the steam sale?

I've picked up Yakuza 0 but I'm eyeing up Monster Hunter World as I'd imagine that will be a good showcase for showing off my new system.

I've added Bullet Storm to my list too as I loved the original and always had issues previously running it in Steam.

Do you have Game Pass Ultimate/Game Pass PC?   You'll have quite a few decent games from that if you do.

3 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Do you have Game Pass Ultimate/Game Pass PC?   You'll have quite a few decent games from that if you do.

Is that the Microsoft thing?

I did join it but it won't load as I'm currently on Windows 7 still

Just now, strider said:

Is that the Microsoft thing?

I did join it but it won't load as I'm currently on Windows 7 still

Yup.  A crap load of games to play. All first party MS games day one too (and game save sync'd to xbox if you have one of those)

Just now, rafaqat said:

Yup.  A crap load of games to play. All first party MS games day one too (and game save sync'd to xbox if you have one of those)

Nice I'll certainly be up for that then when my PC turns up in a couple of weeks :)

Ok. Can we please explain what exactly I need to do front the moment I turn on my PC.

3 minutes ago, skittles said:

Ok. Can we please explain what exactly I need to do front the moment I turn on my PC.

Download chrome and then www.rllmukforum.com

• Upvote 9

@skittles You should sign up for a Steam account now so you can buy games in the sale (even before you have your PC). Sign up for Epic, too, so you can grab the freebies.

Then, when you get the machine, install the relevant launchers --> ??? --> Profit.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, skittles said:

Play a game and marvel at not being locked into 30 fps gameplay.

• Upvote 2

Just now, vezna said:

Play a game and marvel at not being locked into 30 fps gameplay.

I'm purposely playing Farcry Primal at 30 on high settings so I can be blown away when I move over to 60. It makes such a huge difference to how a game plays for me.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, layten said:

image.png.ad790a84fad0bac68eba3135787b8455.png

:D 

11 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

image.png.a5da6a425000eed141b461f35daac8d6.png

o/, etc

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Ditto :) But that's not gonna help Strider.

:( wish I could say the same.  I'm hoping for Sega to re-licenced with Ferrari or I'll settle for a change of cars

Just now, strider said:

I'm purposely playing Farcry Primal at 30 on high settings so I can be blown away when I move over to 60. It makes such a huge difference to how a game plays for me.

True although you perhaps still have the move from 60 to 120 or 144 to come yet. Whether or not you get much mileage from that upgrade perhaps depends on what you play. If I play Apex Legends at 1080p 144 fps my competitive abilities improve remarkably. At 1440p and 80/90 fps I’ll literally hold teams back. At 1080p 144fps I can certainly contribute. That’s the beauty and curse of PC gaming. 

1 minute ago, simms said:

:( wish I could say the same.  I'm hoping for Sega to re-licenced with Ferrari or I'll settle for a change of cars

I would sell my firstborn (not yet born, so pre-order) for that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, strider said:

Nice I'll certainly be up for that then when my PC turns up in a couple of weeks :)

Ive got a similar specced machine.  Exciting, essentially you're getting an Xbox series X in two weeks with backward compatibility to upres and framerate the shit out of everything with a few extras like RTX to try with supported software.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, vezna said:

True although you perhaps still have the move from 60 to 120 or 144 to come yet. Whether or not you get much mileage from that upgrade perhaps depends on what you play. If I play Apex Legends at 1080p 144 fps my competitive abilities improve remarkably. At 1440p and 80/90 fps I’ll literally hold teams back. At 1080p 144fps I can certainly contribute. That’s the beauty and curse of PC gaming. 

Does it make that much difference? I remember running DMC as it ran at 140fps on my PC and I certainly didn't notice it feeling any more fluent than when it ran at 60. It certainly didn't look more fluid to my eyes.

I've ordered this https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/3xs-pc-of-the-month so hopefully that will reach the 120 you're mentioning.

I don't really play online games so hopefully that side of it shouldn't be an issue. I hate the idea of letting people down in-game because my system doesn't have the required grunt.

24 minutes ago, strider said:

You'll want to get any last games of non-60fps Monster Hunter in too, there's no coming back from that :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, strider said:

Does it make that much difference? I remember running DMC as it ran at 140fps on my PC and I certainly didn't notice it feeling any more fluent than when it ran at 60. It certainly didn't look more fluid to my eyes.

I've ordered this https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/3xs-pc-of-the-month so hopefully that will reach the 120 you're mentioning.

I don't really play online games so hopefully that side of it shouldn't be an issue. I hate the idea of letting people down in-game because my system doesn't have the required grunt.

For me it does. Those super competitive streamers on Twitch are using 240hz monitors. They are the absolute elite though so anything to give any slight advantage is well liked. 

None of this is particularly applicable to yourself though obviously.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

@skittles You should sign up for a Steam account now so you can buy games in the sale (even before you have your PC). Sign up for Epic, too, so you can grab the freebies.

Then, when you get the machine, install the relevant launchers --> ??? --> Profit.

Thank you. Second question what is a launch ?

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Overclock the shit out of it.

I've heard my friends say I could take this to 4k hz to 4.4 or something . What exactly does this mean? How do I do it and why would I do it? What performance would I see?

18 minutes ago, skittles said:

I've heard my friends say I could take this to 4k hz to 4.4 or something . What exactly does this mean? How do I do it and why would I do it? What performance would I see?

You don't really need to overclock Ryzen CPUs as they will boost as high as your cooling allows basically. You can get a 2070 Super up to 2080 performance though very easily.

2 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

You'll want to get any last games of non-60fps Monster Hunter in too, there's no coming back from that :ph34r:

I bought it in the steam sale so will have a look at that and see how it runs on my current system :)

2 hours ago, vezna said:

For me it does. Those super competitive streamers on Twitch are using 240hz monitors. They are the absolute elite though so anything to give any slight advantage is well liked. 

None of this is particularly applicable to yourself though obviously.

I'll certainly consider it when I get around to a new monitor but it's not on the horizon for a while. I'm not very good at those sorts of games so steer clear of them :)

3 hours ago, skittles said:

Cup of tea.

Also https://ninite.com/ is very much your friend.

1 hour ago, skittles said:

Thank you. Second question what is a launch ?

Each storefront (Steam, Epic, EA, Ubisoft etc) have their own launchers where you download and launch your games (and they'll auto-update too once you have them installed).

The main ones are:

store.steampowered.com

epicgames.com

https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/store/download

uplay.ubisoft.com

gog.com

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

I tried to load up Monster Hunter today, just so I can see how it compares but it keeps crashing. I got to the title screen one and it showed everything as being on low settings.
I tried updating my drivers but it won't do it, possibly because it wants windows 10 and I'm on 7. Oh well. Not long to wait.

Arriving tomorrow. 3-6pm.. Extremely excited to spend all weekend gaming.

• Upvote 6

Ah the fun of PC gaming... decided my existing 24" monitors weren't big or high res enough. So now two 27" 1440p and 165Hz jobs on the way :lol:

I got myself a cheap, refurbished small form factor PC earlier this year, i5-3470, bought a low profile GTX1050Ti for it and added a 2Tb drive I had lying around for a nice, capable wee machine that's my first PC that could be called a gaming PC for fifteen years. Didn't cost much more than an XBox One S and seems to be about the same performance wise.

Got Alan Wake running high settings at 60fps and it seems to be handling the Master Chief Collection nicely. Had few of the problems that out me off PC gaming ages ago and it's been an absolute joy to play on. 

Absolutely binged on the Steam summer sale, buying as many shmups as I could and some old faves from the 360 era.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, skittles said:

Arriving tomorrow. 3-6pm.. Extremely excited to spend all weekend gaming.

Enjoy! :) As a newcomer to PC gaming there has never been a better time to start. So much variety on offer. Have fun! My advice is just get a couple of games first that you really like the look of and stick with them first. Otherwise you'll be all over the place and just end up playing bits and pieces.

Other thing to be careful of is the Steam sales. Quite easy to go a bit bonkers in these and end up with a backlog of games that never get played because there is always another sale :D Again just grab a couple of games you really want to play now and stick any others you are interested in on the wishlist. Steam will email you when they come up on offer again. And they do. So no need to panic buy! I speak from experience with this (looks at my Steam digital pile of shame - at least it's not physically on a shelf staring at me I guess!!!).

Have an awesome weekend and happy gaming!