rllmuk
skittles

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

Thanks man! First port of call is Anno 1800 and Valorant with the boys!

2 hours to go..

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, skittles said:

Should I be thinking about upgrading my monitor? https://prismplus.sg/collections/gaming-monitors/products/prism-x290

Is 100hz enough?

Unless you plan to play lots of competitive FPS games then 100hz is more than adequate. You may want to buy a 1440p, or QHD, as it's sometimes called, monitor in future, though. Your system will more than be able to handle it at 60FPS+ and, as you tend to sit closer to monitors than you do TVs, you'll definitely notice the improvement in res. I'm not sure what the deal is where you live, but in the UK you can get 27-32" 1440p monitors for around £200 at 75Hz. Higher Hz cost more, as ever.

Don't worry about it for now, though. Enjoy your weekend!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, skittles said:

It's good spec, though can't say I've heard of the brand.

Your system will struggle to hit 144Fps at that (ultra-wide) 1440p resolution, however, on more modern games at high settings. If you're planning on playing lots of Overwatch on medium or high then that looks like a nice monitor, but otherwise I think you'd be better saving your money and buying a monitor at the same res but with a lower refresh rate.

7 hours ago, Yartek said:

Absolutely binged on the Steam summer sale, buying as many shmups as I could and some old faves from the 360p era.

I've been surprised by how many shmups are coming over to Steam. It's weird that the Psikyo shooters don't allow you to save scores (I'm not sure if this is updated yet) but games like Raiden III and Ikaruga are certainly making me think about selling off my physical versions.

Oh and now I'm working permanently from home I've discovered that my new monitor actually swivels so I can enjoy games in Tate mode :)

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, strider said:

I've been surprised by how many shmups are coming over to Steam. It's weird that the Psikyo shooters don't allow you to save scores (I'm not sure if this is updated yet) but games like Raiden III and Ikaruga are certainly making me think about selling off my physical versions.

Oh and now I'm working permanently from home I've discovered that my new monitor actually swivels so I can enjoy games in Tate mode :)

Just picked up Raiden Legacy for £2.19! Steal. Just been playing it actually is a package of four Raiden games - Raiden, Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2 and Raiden Fighters Jet! Awesome fun!

Just need to invest in proper joystick and I'm set! :) 

Not to say all shmups are Japanese but theres been an explosion of Japanese games in general on Steam over the last few years with publishers falling over themselves to get back catalogues on Steam as they tend to sell well.  I just wish I had the time to play everything.

• Upvote 1

One thing to remember, a good monitor will outlive the PC.

Which means, especially if you're buying a new one for a current PC, buy for your next PC, don't think "I play 1080P now" if you can help it.  My 2 older monitors are from 2010 and 2011.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if you wouldn't mind indulging me on one last laptop question. 

I'm after the Zephyrus G14, but the only variant I can find in the UK with an RTX 2060 is a QHD screen, which I understand will impact the framerate. However, I have a 1080p monitor at home I could easily link to - so my question is: if I find some games running poorly on 1440p, would outputting only to an external 1080p monitor give me exactly the same grunt as if the internal display was 1080p? And if that 1080p monitor had a 120hz refresh rate, would that effectively be using the laptop power as efficiently as it would if its internal screen was the same? 

Finally (sorry) would knocking down the laptop screen to 1080 resolution if needed have any significant drawbacks?

Sorry!  

In serious need of some cable management but my God it's wonderful. 

Played a few rounds of Valorant with friends  Can I use my controller? ;) takes some getting used to but I made a fair few frags.

Will sync everything up and take a better photo soon.

IMG_20200703_184146.jpg

IMG-20200703-WA0054.jpeg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

One thing to remember, a good monitor will outlive the PC.

Which means, especially if you're buying a new one for a current PC, buy for your next PC, don't think "I play 1080P now" if you can help it.  My 2 older monitors are from 2010 and 2011.

Ditto for keyboards & mice! Same to a degree for cases and PSUs too! I tend to buy best of breed of all three every so many years and upgrade when there is significant reason.

Last monitor upgrade I did for example was to move from a 21.5" 1080p screen to a 27" 4K screen in anticipation of the upcoming changes. My mouse and keyboard I've had for years. The case I have reused countless times. The PSU I upgraded last time because I wanted something really quiet and have more grunt for a more powerful GPU.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bm said:

I wonder if you wouldn't mind indulging me on one last laptop question. 

I'm after the Zephyrus G14, but the only variant I can find in the UK with an RTX 2060 is a QHD screen, which I understand will impact the framerate. However, I have a 1080p monitor at home I could easily link to - so my question is: if I find some games running poorly on 1440p, would outputting only to an external 1080p monitor give me exactly the same grunt as if the internal display was 1080p? And if that 1080p monitor had a 120hz refresh rate, would that effectively be using the laptop power as efficiently as it would if its internal screen was the same? 

Finally (sorry) would knocking down the laptop screen to 1080 resolution if needed have any significant drawbacks?

Sorry!  

Almost certainly you're fine either way.

But you don't need to knock down the laptop's screen, just set the game to run at that res and you can keep using whatever res for windows just fine.

The only downside is if you're picky you might notice a small number of scaling issues, shimmering etc.  I doubt you will ever notice in practice.

• Upvote 1

@skittles - definitely get yourself a decent chair if you're going to be playing for any length of time. That wooden (looks like) dining chair in the pic there will break your arse.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, bm said:

(2060 with QHD post)

Just following on from @Dudley's comments - like he says, you'll probably find a 2060 and a QHD Monitor a good match.

Usually, as mentioned, you can drop your resolution in the game itself to whatever makes sense to your monitor, and then it'll just switch to that when it loads up. Some more modern titles have an option called Render Resolution, which will bump down the internal resolution of the game while keeping elements like the UI crisp. Even more modern titles do this sort of thing dynamically to meet a certain framerate if you let it, but most of the time you'll see where performance is suffering and do something about it elsewhere.

Worst comes to worst, you can drop some detail settings. You might notice things like texture quality, resolution and anti-aliasing more if you knocked them down compared to, say, shadow detail (which I'll always butcher 100% of the time to keep well above 60fps on everything ever), but you'll figure out your preference - Which is a nice thing about PC gaming, honestly.

• Upvote 2

So, in your view what is the point of diminishing returns for PC cost vs noticeable real-world game performance gains?

I ask because I saw one of the usual builders had an SLI 2080Ti and Xenon CPU build that was the thick end of £20K. Twenty thousand Great British Pounds. 

Which, I imagine, most would think is overkill.

So, rig-posturing aside, where’s the reasonable investment limit, if you want amazing, and perceptibly better performance and pretties from all current and announced games?

25 minutes ago, jonamok said:

where’s the reasonable investment limit

image.png.c95fde40cc85ecfe4a28fdb24fa3c98e.png

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jonamok said:

So, in your view what is the point of diminishing returns for PC cost vs noticeable real-world game performance gains?

I ask because I saw one of the usual builders had an SLI 2080Ti and Xenon CPU build that was the thick end of £20K. Twenty thousand Great British Pounds. 

So, rig-posturing aside, where’s the reasonable investment limit, if you want amazing, and perceptibly better performance and pretties from all current and announced games?

You'll get a 'perceptibly better' upgrade compared with consoles just from the boost 60 FPS gives you over 30 - it genuinely does make a difference, and once you've played at 60, it's difficult not to notice a game running at anything less.

But, if you want something that can run everything on Ultra, in 4K and at 60FPS or more then, as a rough estimate, you'll need to spend at least £2000, likely more: a 2080, maybe even a 2080 Super, GPU will be £750+, then the same again for a Ryzen 9 chip, or the Intel equivalent, 32GB of RAM will be around £150, fans, PSU, case, SSD, etc. -  all of that stuff will drive you up to £2K and beyond pretty quickly, then you'll need a 4K monitor or OLED TV to get the best out of it, which is another grand at least, so you're looking at £3-4K all in. If you want ray tracing turned on as well then that will hit your performance pretty hard, so to mainain a high FPS you'll have to spend more on a more powerful GPU - the 2080 Ti is pretty much your only option at this level.

£20,000 is silly money, though, and overkill.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, jonamok said:

My son's rig I got him last august was £2720 but that was absolute top end at the time and still is pretty much i9 9900k, 2080 Ti, 16gb ram, 970 Evo Plus NVME, after he got that in August, I ended up buying him a 240hz Monitor at Christmas for £429, he already had a £200 Keyboard from his old rig and a £70 mouse. it's not a cheap hobby if you're chasing the top specs, but you can absolutely build something around a grand that will last 5 years and run everything at 1080p at least at 60fps i think.

• Upvote 2

The default argument I use every time someone’s jaw drops when I tell them of my latest upgrade is that out of everything I use at home my PC is the thing that I use most. Games are a big part of it, but it’s my work machine, it’s my help with all the other hobbies I do (music, art, design etc) and it’s my gateway to the world.

Obviously, not a huge amount of that is completely true, but it works pretty well in justifying things to certain parties without causing the arguments to last too long.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

My son's rig I got him last august was £2720 but that was absolute top end at the time and still is pretty much i9 9900k, 2080 Ti, 16gb ram, 970 Evo Plus NVME, after he got that in August, I ended up buying him a 240hz Monitor at Christmas for £429, he already had a £200 Keyboard from his old rig and a £70 mouse. it's not a cheap hobby if you're chasing the top specs, but you can absolutely build something around a grand that will last 5 years and run everything at 1080p at least at 60fps i think.

Can you buy me one of those if I pretend to be your son for a bit?

• Upvote 2

WTF!! you bought that for your son?!

Thats the rig you buy yourself and your son has the 1080!!

• Upvote 5

My own personal problem when it comes to the hobby is that I treat my computer like Trigger's broom - I basically upgraded it repeatedly until it looked nothing like what it was a few years back.

I originally started with a cheapy G3258 bought for £50, a similar cheapy motherboard for £30, Ram for about £40, a GTX960 for about £160, bog standard Zalman T4 case for £10 and a power supply for £50. Everything else came from my old computer (namely, mechanical drive, SSD, and a retail copy of Windows 7 when it was sold for £50 years back, which automatically upgrades to Windows 10).

After that, I side-upgraded to a Sandy Bridge i7 and cheapy motherboard to the tune of £130, then I upgraded the graphics card, then I replaced the entire Motherboard/CPU/RAM and Case with Zen (Around £400, without the case), and then did that again without the case because I decided I couldn't be arsed waiting to upgrade to Zen 2 with the existing motherboard as firmware updates were taking a fucking age. I also wanted to clump all my existing parts together to sell off at some point. I tried replacing the power supply and graphics card, but the graphics card died so I'm still with the second graphics card.

Rough costing of my current PC, mind:

Spoiler

Graphics Card: £400 (GTX 1070 at launch)
CPU: £400 (Ryzen 3700 at launch)
Mobo: £80

RAM: £70
Case: £80 (Fractal Design Define S)

Power Supply: £70
Drives: Honestly, I'm still using my SSD and mechanical drives from my old computers (currently.. about four drives?), but I tend to buy to the tune of £50 quid each time, but chalk this up to about £100 if you're not a lunatic about storage

So, in all, about £1200 if I did just buy the machine outright, and I'd say that's a perfectly acceptable price if you wanted the best experience without going off the deep end (However, I must stress that I'm completely uninterested in 4K gaming, or Ray-Tracing, and just want to run everything at solid 60FPS and to hell with everything else). But, uh, add the £340 from the initial PC, the side-grade for £130, and the first Zen upgrade for £400, and when that's all said and done oh god what have I been doing with my money for the past five years

Spoiler

I did actually sell an amalgamation of the PC Parts I had as a full machine, though, for about £300, so that took the sting out of it. I still need to be arsed about selling the first set of Ryzen stuff, mind. Selling online is a ballache.

Still, only another 45 years before I reach the point where I should have spent on that 2080ti SLI setup instead!

• Upvote 2

This is oddly personal but for me its kinda' pure greed born from the realisation i want to see new worlds and new experiences plus the fact i get really bored fast.

With my family and worklife and cost I don't get the chance to experience new worlds and i want to see the world. And building PC's means i can experience that through forms of gaming. Some obvious choices (GTA, Detroit, motoracing - but other silly ones as well born about by my general love of gaming as a skill).

Its pretty sad, virtual, and disconnected from reality - but in other respects is amazing. I'm a slave to videogame experiences. I'm into photography and music and creation too (so my PC helps there) but i'm restricted in where i can go or what i can do. I do lead a fairly normal life i suppose, but a LOT of that life is PC based.

3 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

WTF!! you bought that for your son?!

Thats the rig you buy yourself and your son has the 1080!!

I've got his hand me down! i7 4770 with a GTX 1060 6gb, it's fine for me, runs everything at 1080p just fine.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, gooner4life said:

I've got his hand me down! i7 4770 with a GTX 1060 6gb, it's fine for me, runs everything at 1080p just fine.

Thats the thing isn't it? As long as it does what you need its good enough! No longer worry too much what is the latest and greatest (other than reading up on trends etc) just get what I actually need to get the experience I am happy with. My setup costs me around £600 to upgrade every 4-5 years. Depends on what I decide I need at that time and happy to be behind the curve a bit to keep costs down 

I was just happy to get a GPU upgrade recently for £50! Its made a huge difference to my gaming and its a five year old card!!! (980 Ti). Its still an amazing card and runs everything well at 1080p at a decent frame rate/quality. I didn't have high expectations but its exceeded them completely it was bought as a bridge until I see what type of cards we will need to keep on par with the new consoles next year and to make my VR experience a bit smoother. 

9 hours ago, JoeK said:

The default argument I use every time someone’s jaw drops when I tell them of my latest upgrade is that out of everything I use at home my PC is the thing that I use most. Games are a big part of it, but it’s my work machine, it’s my help with all the other hobbies I do (music, art, design etc) and it’s my gateway to the world.

Obviously, not a huge amount of that is completely true, but it works pretty well in justifying things to certain parties without causing the arguments to last too long.

The thing is its a work tool too. Think £3K+ is reasonable TBH. Other hobbies can cost a whole lot more! Never get the way people react when talk of money spent on things comes up. Depends where your values lie. Some people are happy to drop £25K on a new car for example or whatever. Don't even discuss this kind of stuff with people anymore. Just talk about experiences and what I get out of my various pastimes. 

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

Exactly. I'm about to spend just under £2300 on a PC.  It's my first full PC purchase since 2010 and that PC has only had a graphics card and some storage upgrades in that time.

It gets used for multiple hours every day, for games, for video editing, for most of my web stuff and until I offhanded that to a NUC it was also the music and video server for the house.  For well under a quid a day including the few upgrades.

I don't have any live TV subscription, paid for already.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Exactly. I'm about to spend just under £2300 on a PC.  It's my first full PC purchase since 2010 and that PC has only had a graphics card and some storage upgrades in that time.

It gets used for multiple hours every day, for games, for video editing, for most of my web stuff and until I offhanded that to a NUC it was also the music and video server for the house.  For well under a quid a day including the few upgrades.

I don't have any live TV subscription, paid for already.

I'll be joining you soon. Just waiting that 3080 or whatever AMD decide to bring out.

• Upvote 1