rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Stealthy/sneaking gameplay and getting older

So loaded up gamepass and stuck on Dishonored 2 - I knew what I was expecting as I played a bit of the first but I don't know if this is now dealing with stealth gameplay mechanics now for over 20+ years since MGS1 and even Zelda OOT having sneaking forced bits but is anyone else just kinda sick of the old "press B button to crouch/crawl and wait till the enemies look the other way and move slower then running and then press the takedown button?"

I recently finished Metro Exodus before that and honestly I just began shooting and even took the silencer off my gun? Stealth being part of a more complex set of interesting mechanics like Hitman I can get behind - you sneak because you don't want to break your cover and fuck up your complex plan but in most games like Metro etc it is just a means of efficiency (use less ammo) and getting a nice guy ending and I kinda just don't have the patience for it anymore. I've really not enjoyed the first hour or so of Dishonored 2 and just wondered if I've just grown out of doing the old sneaky sneaky which from its core mechanics hasn't really evolved in some of these instances. 

Is it just me? I really can't be arsed anymore. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I LOVED DISHONORED 2.

Sitting around waiting for several minutes doing nothing before calmly performing a one hit kill is perfect old man gaming

• Upvote 8

I still love it when it's done well. I didn't enjoy the stealth in Metro through for a variety of reasons.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I LOVED DISHONORED 2.

Sitting around waiting for several minutes doing nothing before calmly performing a one hit kill is perfect old man gaming

Gerbik is alerted to your presence - a question mark appears over his head

"Huh? What's that over there? Someone bashing stealth games?"

*You sneak out of the thread undetected* 

• Upvote 7

Stealth, jumping sections, any modicum of tedium or resistance and I’m prone to switch the game off and never play it again. In fact I usually set the difficulty before I even begin to easiest. Something might be looming and it ain’t life.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Uzi said:

Gerbik is alerted to your presence - a question mark appears over his head

"Huh? What's that over there? Someone bashing stealth games?"

*You sneak out of the thread undetected* 

Well, you wouldn’t. You’d be lobbing a malatov at him, and then spending quality time shooting the still smoldering corpse whilst laughing inanely ;)

• Upvote 2

I’ve always loved it when it’s done well; MGS, Splinter Cell, Outlast, Manhunt etc. But most recently in Last of Us Part II it’s sublime because it really forces you to act on the fly and with limited resources available, essential. I wouldn’t even call it stealth - it’s action with stealth/cover and feels more like a tense movie shoot out than an avoid em all type affair. 

So yes I just came in here to sing its praises. 

The original Metal Gear was a NES game, so it is even older.

The challenge is to wait, and to know when to move and where to. That does not sound great to me.

I'm too impatient for stealth, though I love Hitman's take on it. TLoU 2's approach works for me, because you can instantly switch to action mode if you fuck things up. It's a more dynamic approach which I really like.

• Upvote 2

This is why The Last of Us 2 is fucking amazing. You can be as stealthy or loud as you want to be, there are no wrong or right ways. 

The stealth in LoU2 is fucking great though.

Stealth that works and gives you options , so Death Stranding , tlou etc . Great . Stealth that is insta-fail on detection I utterly abhor.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, daifuco said:

The original Metal Gear was a NES game, so it is even older.

And even that was 1987, for the original MSX release. Castle Wolfenstein is from 1981, and may not even be the first stealth game.

Sneaking as a genre has been around ever since Ug the Unseen nicked Dave the Clubbers prized clubbing club.

• Upvote 1

I love a good stealth game but I am finding myself with less patience these days for faffing about in games, and stealth is the ultimate faff. My time is limited so, y’know, working out the perfect way to finish a Hitman level is fine and all, but sometimes it’s 11.50pm, I need to get up in seven hours, I’m just going to bonk this guy on the head with a coconut and push the target off a ledge.

• Upvote 3

I hate stealth, it’s tedious. Stealth sections randomly tacked onto games not built around the concept are the absolute worst. 

• Upvote 1

I have *always* hated stealth and so have never had any interest where that is a core focus. As @gossi the dog says, it's even worse where it is forced into a non-stealth game, because inevitably the camera/mechanics and tools are not geared towards that so they can either become either a) trial and error, with lots of restarts or b) has no consequence to being spotted, as it just reverts back to 'normal' gameplay - thus invalidating the whole point of adding the section.

• Upvote 2

Loved stealth in the first and second Tenchu games.  Now the only games I can bear it in are Assassin's Creed.

Still love stealth gameplay, but it's one of the mechanics I'm fussiest about (and always have been). Pure stealth games designed entirely around keeping a low profile and minimising conflict, with open environments to give you actual choices of approach, are heaven to me. Stuff like Thief, Tenchu, Hitman, Gloomwood - I just can't get enough. They're all planning, exploration, observation and execution: The Game (with an added side of anxiety), and I love them.

I do also enjoy games like Deus Ex, Dishonored and Prey (and, very specifically, the two MGS: V games), which expand the flexibility while making stealth less of a requirement, as they keep the core planning/exploration/observation loop. Generally their stealth mechanics feel a little underbaked (less complex routines for dealing with sound, light and/or context than dedicated stealth games are typical), but the increased freedom of choice helps mitigate that.

However, bolted on stealth sections I almost never enjoy - they're inevitably mechanically unsatisfying, with limited/no considerations beyond simple line of sight avoidance. I also have no time for linear stealth games (like all the early Splinter Cell games) where you're tasked with taking a single route, waiting for signposted solutions and generally having no creative input, nor for the "violent Pacman" approach of the pre-5 MGS titles and the TLOUs, where stealth action takes place in limited environments and the main mechanics are rudimentary hide and seek and murder (and occasional forced combat section), rather than large-scale planning and execution.

So no, as I've gotten older I haven't lost my enjoyment of stealth games, but I have gotten better at identifying what type of stealth I enjoy.

• Upvote 2

Love stealth games, I'm playing The Outer Worlds at the moment and where possible I am taking people out quietly. Really wish Squeenix would make a proper Deus Ex or give it to someone else who can & can't wait to play Ghost of Tshushima on the PS5.

In Shadow of Mordor/Ass Creed I loved taking out castles/outposts without alerting any of the enemies.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

it's even worse where it is forced into a non-stealth game, because inevitably the camera/mechanics and tools are not geared towards that

I find this a lot when a game has a sudden genre shift. You often end up with a functional but mostly dull section and if it forms any sort of challenge, you're usually just willing it to be over instead of settling back and enjoying the novelty.

• Upvote 1