Mr Driller: Drill Land (Switch, not on PS4 HDR or not)

@El Spatula I'm bloody useless having not played in a lot of years. However, it definitely errs on the side of chaos, but you will start to recognise patterns and clear routes more naturally as you practise. The joy of the game is sitting on the edge of chaos and dealing with it, it is not a relaxing puzzler

Yeah, I don't think there's much forethought to be had when you play, it's all so frantic. It's pure twitch reaction gaming, more like a shmup or something than a puzzle game. When you're in the zone you start to identify patterns and routes on the fly, but there's not much you can do to plan ahead. 

I'm still addicted to it. I've just beaten all Level 2 (using items, for shame), so now to go back through without items and aim for high scores. There's no way I'm beating anything on Level 3 in a million years. 

I’ve unlocked the special stages (using loads of shop bought lives etc.) which are infinite but apparently you can get stamps from them if you do well enough, but they’re probably too hard for me so think I’m going to try earlier stages without extra lives or maybe try unlocking stuff in the easy mode.

I have just beaten all level 1s.

Forward planning - I'm just digging and when air/a item I want come up then I slow down and think, can I get it? How do i get it? Do I need it? Is it worth the hassle( or just carry on) ? 

Not sure if that's the best way but enjoying myself. 

@shynra That's about the same as my approach, only I'm less successful so far. It really is a fun game to play even when it doesn't work out, there's something very satisfying about it. 

• 4 weeks later...

This thread needs a title change, Mr Driller (Switch) needs it's own thread.

My god this game is good.  Ive always been a fan since owning it on Dreamcast, and I had attempted to play this version on the GameCube, even holding my phone up to the screen to use Google Translate.   I never managed to work out what to do on Druaga, even though I'd started drawing the Japanese text and noting down what the gems seemed to do.

But playing on Switch, it's obvious what a masterpiece of game design this is.  Nothing happens by chance. The levels are random, but they are fixed levels, it's just random which you get, so you can start to recognise which pattern it has given you. The game does that perfect Tetris thing, where when you fail you can see on screen where you went wrong as how close you were to winning.  The delay before blocks fall and the speed they fall must have been playtested to death because it is perfect.  

Then the new additions to the Mr Driller theme, every one of them works in its own way and they add to the experience.  Overcomplicating a simple game like this could be a huge mistake but keeping the new features in separate game modes is inspired.  The Indiana Jones game is brilliant as you learn how to control the way the rocks will fall.  The Space level has power ups that can be a hindrance, adding to the gameplay. The ghosts level initially seemed impossible but I did it. 

There's a load of tat added too. I've no interest in the history of Mr Driller, the trading card shop and the items you can buy, but you can ignore it if you choose to.  The fact is, Mr Driller is one of the all time great games, a wonderful, inspired piece of game design, a fabulous combination of frantic quick reaction gameplay and methodical planning. Maybe the simplicity of the game makes people overlook it.  Whatever  this is a game everyone should be playing because it is absolutely outstanding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back again.  I can't believe how more people are not talking about this game.  It's outstanding and incredibly addictive. Can't do any of the third levels yet, 2000 steps is 500 too many for me, but I've sunk hours into this game. Best game of 2020, no question.

I've been getting massively into the series recently, too. I played the Dreamcast port of the original very briefly about 15 years ago, and liked it but clearly failed to identify any particular 'hook' to it; it felt like playing aimlessly in a sandpit. I didn't really touch the series again until recently, when I picked up a cheap copy of Drill Spirits for the DS on a whim, and decided to revisit the original on the PS2 NamCollection while I was at it. All it took to dispel my misconceptions was quickly noticing the point increases for 'chained' blocks, and that every air capsule is worth 100 points more than the last (all the hook I need, really), but once I started learning to (partially) control the playfield rather than merely react to falling blocks the game became deeply compelling. It's an audiovisual delight and the reward of digging through each new 100m threshold is almost enough to keep me going in itself. I've watched this 2000m EX run in Mr. Driller G and it's a great tutorial and motivator, if slightly daunting - I can see rudimentary layers of strategy that I've already been implementing but also lots that I haven't grasped yet and should aim to get a handle on. Really wishing I'd spent more time with the Dreamcast one years ago.

This eureka moment has kicked off a big obsession with the series. I haven't seen any PCBs for sale yet but I've been foolishly splashing out on every home port and original game I can get my hands on (currently I'm missing the Wonderswan game and the PC versions of 1 and 2, but I don't need the PC ones and they'd be pretty frivolous purchases at this point). What's impressive about the series is that almost every iteration manages to bring something new and interesting to the table, adds some wrinkle to formula that makes it worth playing – sometimes just portability or multiplayer, of course, but then there’s Ace's Wondeful Pacteria mode, the various Dristone modes and the entirety of Drill Land, which all make really robust revisions to the original formula without ever losing its core appeal in all the gimmickry.

In Drill Land I'm at about the same point as some of you - I've done all of the level 2 stages but haven't managed any of the level 3s yet, although I'm enjoying all of them. The differences from the core game in something like Hole of Druaga are obvious, but I really like the change of pace (and the changes to the rules) in Drindy Adventure too - you get to stop and spend as long as you like thinking about completely different kinds of challenges. I love all of it! :wub:

I'm at the same stage as you both - got all the stamps for Level 2, but noped pretty quickly out of Level 3 when I saw how daunting it all looked. I need to go back and give Level 3 a good seeing to.

I love the variations, especially Drindy, but the compelling snappiness of classic World Tour can't be beat. Having said that, I enjoy the space adventure one too for being vanilla Mr. Driller but with light gambling elements. That feeling when you're down to your last 10% of O2 and then your mum flies over with a full top-up and a shield is a good one.

Going by the Mr driller history video above... It seems that there is no point going back as this covers the game modes. 

The Dreamcast one was always on my to grab list but I never did. Again hugely enjoying this, I've only completed all level 1s, trying to do lv2 world tour... 

7 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Any earlier Mr Driller games worth getting?  Or there no point if you have this Switch version?

i remember really liking the timetrial mode in the DS version which isn't really in the switch version (the boss level sort of is timetrial but you can't replay it).

Yeah, I like all of them and think they're all worth checking out (if only for aesthetic reasons), but the Time Trial challenges and Ace's "Wonderful Pacteria" are the only substantial things missing from Drill Land in terms of game modes. Endless modes in Drill Land aren't available from the beginning as they usually are, but you'll only be ready for them once you've worked towards them anyway, I suppose. Ace on the GBA is possibly the next most 'essential' one, then, but since Drill Spirits is usually cheap it could be worth having a portable version around for practice! (Just make sure you get a European or Japanese copy, since the US one is missing Dristone mode.)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got this for 50% off in the eShop sale and have been playing a fair amount of it over the past couple of nights. The music is amazing! Good fun game that I’m shite at, and would like to git gud at. 

Playing it for such long durations late at night has had the weird consequence of making me believe for a split second that all of my iPhone app icons are about to fall down the screen whenever I look at my phone :wacko: I even get a sense of which ones are likely to stick to each other and cause combos :blink: