rllmuk
kerraig UK

I May Destroy You - BBC Masterpiece

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this already. Is anyone else witnessing this groundbreaking, intelligent, hilarious incredible piece of storytelling. It's ten times fleabag cos it's not narcissistic and the protagonist doesn't view herself as a victim despite being one (the inverse of fleabag)

Its good beyond comprehension.

• Upvote 5

I've not seen it yet, but it's called I May Destroy You.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Nequests said:

I've not seen it yet, but it's called I May Destroy You.

I know what it is called. but it will destroy you

Yeah this is really really good. 

And as @kerraig UK mentioned, they handle the victimhood of the protagonist really well, she is a victim of a vicious assault and yet never loses agency within the plot at any point. 

It feels very grounded and real. I guess Fleabag probably felt real for frightfully middle class affluent people with millionaire parents, but this feels actually real. The nights out in East London and the whole portrayal of mid-20s London life is absolutely bang on.

It's also consistently funny.

It’s on my list to watch for sure, Michaela Coel is pretty much brilliant in everything, and I loved Chewing Gum, another one she wrote and starred in.

I thought the sixth episode was the last, but it's not so that makes so much more sense.

Coel is amazing, the writing is incredible and at parts it's painful to watch because it seems so real. The tone is very unsettling, it doesn't settle into one thing and in a single scene there can be horror and comedy. I'm very intrigued to see where it's going.

As someone in my early thirties it felt like watching Shane Meadows for the first time - here is someone putting actual life on screen, not a version of someone's else's version of real life. At the same time, it makes me feel old as this is clearly a younger generation to me (grinder and tinder weren't a thing in my early twenties).

It's brilliant, I'm on episode 5 and I kinda wished that I waited for the series to end so I could properly binge it.

For such dark subject matter it's very funny at times and the characters are fantastic. 

Though I think sometimes my takeaway from it is wrong because I just keep thinking how cool Arabella dresses and how glad I am that I don't have to go clubbing anymore.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I thought the sixth episode was the last, but it's not so that makes so much more sense.

We thought that too. Seemed like a bit of an odd ending :lol:

Looks like it will have 12 episodes all together! 

BBC adding them weekly on Monday. So episode 7 is there now.

If it helps I keep calling it "May I Destroy You?"

Though, I quite like it because it has the implication of consent as if the very title is gas lighting.

On 29/06/2020 at 03:32, kerraig UK said:

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this already. Is anyone else witnessing this groundbreaking, intelligent, hilarious incredible piece of storytelling. It's ten times fleabag cos it's not narcissistic and the protagonist doesn't view herself as a victim despite being one (the inverse of fleabag)

Its good beyond comprehension.

Cheers for the recommendation- started this last night and think it’s terrific. Being a Londoner (who now lives in Suffolk) I love seeing the city life - the flat sharing, the night buses, the bars etc.  Wish I could do it all again for a week. 

Oh and Michaela Coel is world class..

• Upvote 1

I’m all caught up on this now, and yes, it’s brilliant. Far superior to Fleabag as @kerraig UK said - and pretty much everything else on telly too. It looks so, so good sometimes, it reminds me of Too Old To Die Young.

The only bum note so far is that every sexual liaison seems to have been negative for the participants in some way (with the exception of T’s threesome, but I feel even that keeps getting hinted at as being the root of some subsequent misery on her part)...I guess there are still four episodes to go, but come on!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

I’m all caught up on this now, and yes, it’s brilliant. Far superior to Fleabag as @kerraig UK said - and pretty much everything else on telly too. It looks so, so good sometimes, it reminds me of Too Old To Die Young.

The only bum note so far is that every sexual liaison seems to have been negative for the participants in some way (with the exception of T’s threesome, but I feel even that keeps getting hinted at as being the root of some subsequent misery on her part)...I guess there are still four episodes to go, but come on!

You might have hooked on to something really groundbreaking there without realising. 

I hope so! Feels like ages since I broke any ground. :quote:

Imagine if the dirty drugged up stranger threesome was the only positive sexual experience in the whole BBC show... Now wouldn't that be a thing.

Only watched 3 episodes so far. I couldn't tell if the threesome was meant to be enjoyable or not. I felt like she was enjoying it, then it seemed like she felt vaguely unsure about it as they were leaving...I'm not really sure how she felt when she looked at them through the window as they were walking down the street. Maybe the uncertainty is the point.

Regarding episode 3

Spoiler

I thought that was because she thought the two men didn't know each other, but when they were leaving and she saw them from the window they did.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Only watched 3 episodes so far. I couldn't tell if the threesome was meant to be enjoyable or not. I felt like she was enjoying it, then it seemed like she felt vaguely unsure about it as they were leaving...I'm not really sure how she felt when she looked at them through the window as they were walking down the street. Maybe the uncertainty is the point.

Keep watching. You've nailed it.

And since I just watched episode 3 last night and it's still fresh in my head, that scene of them coming up on pills was amazing. I don't know if I've ever seen it captured, visually, so accurately before. I felt both jealous and relieved that I wasn't going through that jittery, jaw clenching euphoria which is a probably a great sign I'm approaching middle age now.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Majora said:

And since I just watched episode 3 last night and it's still fresh in my head, that scene of them coming up on pills was amazing. I don't know if I've ever seen it captured, visually, so accurately before. I felt both jealous and relieved that I wasn't going through that jittery, jaw clenching euphoria which is a probably a great sign I'm approaching middle age now.

Yep, up to episode 8 and every moment feels genuine. That come up is bang bang on

Just finished episode 6.

Spoiler

Really interesting take on the male experience of sexual assault after Kwame's ordeal. Aside from the terrible handling by the police, none of his friends seem to notice him withdrawing.

Excellent series throughout so far. I doubt I would've watched it this soon had it not been for this thread, so thanks for that.

Edit:

Spoiler

Uh oh.

Spoiler
Spoiler

1768098219_Screenshot_20200707-0050442.png.921ec8f87df4dbfd0502e98a6f0eca84.png

• Upvote 1

I'm no huge fan of Fleabag but I can't understand why people are criticizing that to praise this - are we only allow one successful woman at a time?

• Upvote 8

20 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I'm no huge fan of Fleabag but I can't understand why people are criticizing that to praise this - are we only allow one successful woman at a time?

Yes.

Or, and I’m spitballing here, it might be because Fleabag was a similarly widely hyped one woman creator /writer/ actor gig which naturally invites comparison, as similar things often do. And this is much better.

The subject matter, tone and approach are all wildly different, though, which makes any direct comparison largely meaningless. As Festoon says, why not celebrate both? Fleabag didn't win awards without reason, and I'm sure this will (deservingly) pick up plenty of prizes, too. 

• Upvote 5