31 Day Music Challenge

I've had a blast picking great tracks for the 30 VGM Music Challenge, both here on rllmuk and also with a group of friends on WhatsApp. But I thought "why limit it to VGM?" and so here are my proposed rules for a 31 Day Music Challenge that we can do in July (starting Wednesday). I've tried to skew it more towards individual tracks rather than albums (though some are left intentionally vague), mainly to give people more chance to listen to others' suggestions. Look forward to sharing my choices and listening to yours!

Day 01 - Track you never tire of
Day 02 - Album you never tire of
Day 03 - The newest (most recently released) track you love
Day 04 - The oldest track you love
Day 05 - Classic album 1970-1979
Day 06 - Classic Dance track
Day 07 - Classic Rock track 
Day 08 - Classic Hip-Hop track
Day 09 - Classic Soul/Funk track
Day 10 - Classic Pop track
Day 11 - Something from the year you were born
Day 12 - Classic album 1980-1989
Day 13 - A track from a movie score or soundtrack
Day 14 - Track with an awesome solo!
Day 15 - Track relating to Love
Day 16 - Track relating to the Weather
Day 17 - Something from another country/culture
Day 18 - Something from an artist/genre you’re otherwise not into
Day 19 - Classic album 1990-1999
Day 20 - Music that makes you Happy
Day 21 - Music that makes you sad
Day 22 - Music that gets you Pumped
Day 23 - Music that makes you Relaxed
Day 24 - Music that fills you with Nostalgia
Day 25 - Something you recently discovered (can be old or new) 
Day 26 - Classic album 2000-2009
Day 27 - A great female vocal 
Day 28 - A great male vocal 
Day 29 - A great instrumental
Day 30 - Cover version
Day 31 - Guilty pleasure 

7 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Stupid question coming right up, but is the idea to post your tracks on the day? I see in the video game music thread some people have just had at it and filled the bingo board from day one.

Don't worry, we've reprimanded those individuals and their wilful misinterpretation of the correct rigidly proscribed sense of fun will be dealt with accordingly.

That's a relief. I want no part of this if it's going to turn into some kind of Woodstock-style free-for-all where we're all posting willy nilly and braiding each other's hair. I want to the watchword to be regimented. 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Stupid question coming right up, but is the idea to post your tracks on the day? I see in the video game music thread some people have just had at it and filled the bingo board from day one.

One post per day is best. Post a couple at once if you need to catch up. 

I’ll kick things off then

Day 01 - track you never tire of

Haddaway - What Is Love

I loved it when it came out in 1993 (age 11) and I’ve never grown tired of it since, despite it being played a lot, even on Heart FM which I generally despise!

Track you never tire of

As – Stevie Wonder. I think I would’ve got Songs in the Key of Life in my mid-teens and have always gravitated back towards this track. I’ve put the Stevie original in but have become obsessed with finding new versions. Jazz ones, steel drum ones, Dutch ones you name it. I love them all because it’s a timeless piece of music.

Day 1 - Track You Never Tire Of

69 Police - David Holmes

I'm fairly certain I could listen to this for several hours, non-stop and not completely lose my mind. Optimistically and relentlessly repetitive with some gentle changing layering, which over the course of the month is likely to become a bit of a theme for me. Easily listen to this more than once a week and I'm not sure if that will ever end. 

Day 1 - Track you never tire of

Birdland by Weather Report

I notice, with mild disgust, that there is no day devoted to favourite Jazz Fusion track, hence my inclusion of the awesome Birdland here.

wub

(it's a shame the quality isn't the best but the live version is so much better)

Haruomi Hosono and The Yellow Magic Band - Shimendoka (1978)

That majestic synth intro, the blessed steel drums. It's perfect, and it's made me so happy to see Hosono getting the respect he's due outside of Japan these last few years.

Day 2 - Album You Never Tire Of 

Discovery - Daft Punk 

It took several years of meticulous research before I managed to confirm I preferred Discovery tHomework. Lost my job and everything. 

Moodymann – Silentintroduction

I reckon all of Kerry Dixon Jnr's albums are flawless, but this was the first I heard and repeated listens never dilute it. 

Day 2 - album you never tire of

I'm actually saving albums I never tire of for the decade picks, and maybe this one is cheating a bit as I've not listened to it lately, but when it came out I listened to it at work every day for months.

The follow up might be even better. 

The full album (YT won't embed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgAJe_0XGw

Nico - Desertshore (1970)

A genuinely bleak album, woven from harmonium drones and punctuated by moments of true tenderness and love for her young son. It's not for everyone, certainly, but I think it's just the most captivating thing.

Good to see Wish You Were Here picked. Was really close to picking Dark Side of the Moon for today actually, but figured that might crop up later...

Day 3 - The Newest Track You Love

Sideways - lau.ra X Secania 

I think we can all agree that one of the greatest tragedies of the pandemic is that I haven't been able to go anywhere and dance to this yet. You can also substitute the word 'sideways' for 'Fridays' if you want a fun little thing to sing round the house when you're excited about the weekend. 

Just completely overflowing with this infectious confidence that I find impossible to resist. 

There’s two Floating Points remixes that have just come out that are even better I reckon. Big up the pasty dorks twiddling the knobs.

Talking of melancholy...

Day 3 - The newest track you love

Had a couple of busy days so I'm lagging behind already, but I was planning on picking Daft Punk's Discovery for Day 02 and Caribou's Never Come Back for Day 03, so you guys aren't even missing out! Will definitely need to do some research for Day 04 (wonder if anybody will go classical). 

Day 4 - Oldest Song You Love

Piano Sonata No 14 (Moonlight Sonata) - Beethoven 

Impossibly high levels of dread, even when it all kicks off. 

Day 4 - the oldest track you love

I couldn't pick just one piece so I posted the entire suite as they form a part of a whole -  these interpretations by Rostropovich are some of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. If I were to pick one, it would be the Prelude in Suite 2 in D Minor:

Spoiler

One of the most devastatingly gut wrenching compositions I think you can ever hear.