rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RastanSaga

Immortal John Hancock

Is he immortal?

I usually watch classic game room shows.

I have seen some good stuff on metal Jesus.

John, comes across really well, he's good with Sega too.

Edit..

That's how I originally  came across him, on metal Jesus.

Like all youtubers there’s the nagging doubt that when manufacturers are sending them free stuff, well, you know the rest...

maybe he’s just really enthusiastic ^_^

• Upvote 1

I'm sure he introduced (not personally) me to blades of vengeance on Megadrive.

At the time I had an everdrive and played it, it really is a gem.

I don't have any everdrives now. Still got a 60hz modded md1 though.

I've got fire shark on my wishlist.

I used to like him, but he is unfortunately one of the biggest shills in retrogaming.

Got a crappy product to sell? Get JH to "review" it.

Metal Jesus is starting to get on my tits.

Any opportunity to do the devil sign with his hands.

Hrrrrrggggggghhhhh

44 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Metal Jesus is starting to get on my tits.

Any opportunity to do the devil sign with his hands.

Hrrrrrggggggghhhhh

I lost a bit of faith when he started a patreon to fix his basement - then sold the house!

20 hours ago, SeanR said:

Like all youtubers there’s the nagging doubt that when manufacturers are sending them free stuff, well, you know the rest...

maybe he’s just really enthusiastic ^_^

9 hours ago, ulala said:

I used to like him, but he is unfortunately one of the biggest shills in retrogaming.

Got a crappy product to sell? Get JH to "review" it.

Yeah, I used to like him but his "reviews" can't be trusted. He was caught out a couple of times giving great reviews to stuff he was given for free that turned out to be shite.

He gets sent this from AT Games, gives a totally glowing review and then it turns out AT Games had a completely different version that was sent to retail (it was NES emulation instead of arcade). Maybe you could say he didn't know, but he was clearly played on this one because he gives glowing, enthusiastic reviews to any old retro shite he gets given.

But then that wasn't the first time he gave a glowing review of an AT Games product that turned out to be shite.

Except the device was pretty much blasted by everyone else as being shite. But in this case, it wasn't a different version he was reviewing, it was the same one everyone got. So much was the backlash that he had to do another review/update on it.

There's just no way I could trust any of the reviews he gives. But he just seemed to go down the route of whoring any old retro shite and then having Amazon affiliate links in his description in order to make money from it (look at this Atari lamp! click on the link to buy it!). It also felt like he was the worst aspect of retro gaming you tubers, collecting games (and having them as a backdrop) just because the sake of collecting games. It felt like it wasn't far off begging for viewers to send in games just so they can sit on a shelf and he can claim to have a "Complete Atari 2600 collection", or whatever collection he was trying to complete that year. He said a few times that he was going to put them in a museum so someone could play them, but I just got the impression he was a hoarder and would take any old retro shite just to have them on a spread sheet.

21 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

Yeah, that video kind of sums up what I feel about it. Sticking games in sealed units so people can "admire" his collection at a gaming convention, instead of actually.. playing... them.

Well of course it feels like he is begging viewers to send him games

how do you think he got that collection?

52 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Yeah, I used to like him but his "reviews" can't be trusted. He was caught out a couple of times giving great reviews to stuff he was given for free that turned out to be shite.

He gets sent this from AT Games, gives a totally glowing review and then it turns out AT Games had a completely different version that was sent to retail (it was NES emulation instead of arcade). Maybe you could say he didn't know, but he was clearly played on this one because he gives glowing, enthusiastic reviews to any old retro shite he gets given.

But then that wasn't the first time he gave a glowing review of an AT Games product that turned out to be shite.

Except the device was pretty much blasted by everyone else as being shite. But in this case, it wasn't a different version he was reviewing, it was the same one everyone got. So much was the backlash that he had to do another review/update on it.

There's just no way I could trust any of the reviews he gives. But he just seemed to go down the route of whoring any old retro shite and then having Amazon affiliate links in his description in order to make money from it (look at this Atari lamp! click on the link to buy it!). It also felt like he was the worst aspect of retro gaming you tubers, collecting games (and having them as a backdrop) just because the sake of collecting games. It felt like it wasn't far off begging for viewers to send in games just so they can sit on a shelf and he can claim to have a "Complete Atari 2600 collection", or whatever collection he was trying to complete that year. He said a few times that he was going to put them in a museum so someone could play them, but I just got the impression he was a hoarder and would take any old retro shite just to have them on a spread sheet.

I remember that!

Morning guys x

Thank you, I've certainly learned more than I knew.

Have a great Friday :)

15 hours ago, ulala said:

I lost a bit of faith when he started a patreon to fix his basement - then sold the house!

Remember when he tried to raise funds for the Metal Jesus Crew Road Trip?

Can’t remember if it was through Patreon or Kickstarter, but that’s when I decided I’d had enough...

28 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Remember when he tried to raise funds for the Metal Jesus Crew Road Trip?

Can’t remember if it was through Paterson or Kickstarter, but that’s when I decided I’d had enough...

It is tricky, as you start out liking the youtubers for their content - but things definitely change when it becomes a "business" and their only source of income.

Its basically glorified pan-handling. 

Same applies to retro gamers on twitter.

If they’re doing it as a business, fair enough. The likes of LGR get sent loads of stuff and I’m happy to pay a little for his content. But when someone like MJ wants the public to fund a holiday for him and his mates... that’s taking the piss!

although a year later he made a video talking about his biggest Youtube regrets and that was his number one. 

LGR is still watchable in my book. I also still enjoy Games Sack to a point but that’s probably about it when it comes to the American Youtube scene.

3 minutes ago, Swainy said:

LGR is still watchable in my book. I also still enjoy Games Sack to a point but that’s probably about it when it comes to the American Youtube scene.

Joe from GameSack is excellent

Got to ask, other than Kim Justice are there any other UK retro channels that you guys watch? The Spectrum Show & Chinnyvision are decent.

6 hours ago, Swainy said:

Got to ask, other than Kim Justice are there any other UK retro channels that you guys watch? The Spectrum Show & Chinnyvision are decent.

TSS is absolutely excellent.

but the absence of U.K. based retro channels is stark. We have to resort to Bloggo’s pow ;) 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Fargo said:

The gebs24 is a good UK retro YouTuber. 

I’ll have to disagree. 

1 minute ago, Swainy said:

I’ll have to disagree. 

I find the retro game hunt videos are usually great. 

It’s probably because I’m a bit older but she never really covers computers (just later console stuff) plus I just find her a bit annoying which probably sounds rude, I’m sure that she is a nice person.

I like people who actually play the games, it’s not just a front to get popular or gain followers on twitter 

• Upvote 1

collieuk

https://www.youtube.com/user/collieuk

is a good one, he did retro YouTube videos years ago with his “Inept Reviews” was and his original videos got quite a lot of views. He recently came back but is still quite sporadic with his uploads, but he usually gets drunk and plays random spectrum games with the odd live stream with requests from the viewers. He’s got a good sense of humour and it’s a bit of a laugh.

Witchfinder1976 https://www.youtube.com/user/witchfinder1976

He’s started a Silverbird Selection where he’s collecting old C64 Firebird/Silverbird games and playing them, he also did one on Mastertronic games a few years ago and it’s good to see someone just playing games in his room, building up a collection that’s randomly British - budget Commodore 64 games! There’s not much gloss, but it’s very sincere and he’s obviously really into it. 

• Upvote 1