IGNORED

Ubisoft Forward - conference video in first post

djbhammer

Ubi Soft jumping into the Battle Royale genre two years too late perfectly sums them up as a company.

Have they completely given up on the UbiArts stuff? Didn't seem that long ago we were getting Rayman and that World War 1 game.

I just don't think I can be arsed with any of these.

I enjoyed Odyssey, but I'm not going to play a reskinned Norfolk edition of the game. And watchdogs 2 got boring fast, as did the last version of far cry I played.

All in all these look like games people might have been excited about in 2013.

12 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

I agree. Everyone of the big AAA games they produce feels exactly the same. It is just the same thing in a slightly different setting.

In any earlier generation, Ubisoft's games would not be considered AAA.

They market them as though they were, but they don't invest in them, and they don't make money, on anything approaching the same scale as EA, Rockstar, Bethesda or Nintendo's key franchises.

58 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

In any earlier generation, Ubisoft's games would not be considered AAA.

They market them as though they were, but they don't invest in them, and they don't make money, on anything approaching the same scale as EA, Rockstar, Bethesda or Nintendo's key franchises.

They are the very definition of AAA. Multiple studios working on them, a thousand devs or more, massive budgets. Also, while they don't outsell GTA (nothing does) their most succesful games are definitely big sellers. The Division for example sold over 20 million copies. And R6 has 60 million players. That's huge.

Where is Splinter Cell? There’s been enough cameos in other games, it’s time for it to return. Snake has hung up his eye patch and the cat and mouse gadget gameplay of the Multiplayer was a welcome change from running and shooting. Even if Sam Fisher is to old to carry a franchise just use it as a brand for a franchise that would sit nicely against Seige.

I think with AC it’s just starting to feel even mire like a reskin. All the bullet points in that presentation even felt tired.

I used to love Ubisoft as they pushed things on, now it feels they are just pushing things out of the door.

So that WD3 cinematic, all CGI I'm guessing, done in the same style as that Netflix Love, Death and Robots episode short. Perhaps done by the same guy even? 

EDIT* I think they are actually confirming that as I continue watching. Impressive art style and CGI.

7 hours ago, Vemsie said:

They are the very definition of AAA. Multiple studios working on them, a thousand devs or more, massive budgets. Also, while they don't outsell GTA (nothing does) their most succesful games are definitely big sellers. The Division for example sold over 20 million copies. And R6 has 60 million players. That's huge.

Rainbow 6 Siege it's hard to argue with, it's performed way beyond their own expectations.

Assassin's Creed gets money spunked on it because it's their flagship annual event title. But think about the development cycle, and how long each one lasts before it's replaced by the next one. A drop in a bucket compared to your RDRs, TLOUs, Zeldas and Elder Scrolls.

Most of the their games sell to the same level, and those numbers are being bolstered to a significant degree by PC OEM deals, immediate deep discounts and the Chinese PC market. From the perspective of the top tier publishers what they (or other 'middling' publishers) are doing is a marginal business.

The niche they've grown to fill is that there is (or rather, was) big enough gaps between legitimate AAA games for people to buy, consume and trade in multiple time-filling maps to tidy up.

(To be honest, if we use the most accurate definition of "AAA", as in, "makes sense from a specific publisher's perspective to spend unlimited money on marketing and R&D", it does make sense for UbiSoft to keep cranking away at their annual release sausage machine rather than making any kind of long term investment, it's just galling if you don't think the world really needs 17 sweatshop-produced iterations of Assassin's Creed.)

13 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

Rainbow 6 Siege it's hard to argue with, it's performed way beyond their own expectations.

Assassin's Creed gets money spunked on it because it's their flagship annual event title. But think about the development cycle, and how long each one lasts before it's replaced by the next one. A drop in a bucket compared to your RDRs, TLOUs, Zeldas and Elder Scrolls.

Most of the their games sell to the same level, and those numbers are being bolstered to a significant degree by PC OEM deals, immediate deep discounts and the Chinese PC market. From the perspective of the top tier publishers what they (or other 'middling' publishers) are doing is a marginal business.

The niche they've grown to fill is that there is (or rather, was) big enough gaps between legitimate AAA games for people to buy, consume and trade in multiple time-filling maps to tidy up.

(To be honest, if we use the most accurate definition of "AAA", as in, "makes sense from a specific publisher's perspective to spend unlimited money on marketing and R&D", it does make sense for UbiSoft to keep cranking away at their annual release sausage machine rather than making any kind of long term investment, it's just galling if you don't think the world really needs 17 sweatshop-produced iterations of Assassin's Creed.)

I mean if you choose to discount the fact that there was two years between syndicate and origins, then a year to odyssey, then two years to valhalla, sure. Three years between division releases. 

zelda games seem to be every couple of years, though many of those are upmasterings or rereleases.

(and yeah,from the perspective of T2’s rockstar division, everything is marginal, that doesn’t stop them releasing those private division games, does it?)

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think Zelda, Halo, Mario, GTA etc. they are event titles - but Ubisoft games are definitely AAA in every sense. 

budget, certainly. Terrifying numbers of working hours, definitely.

Last Ubisoft game I played was Assassins Creed Origins. I have no idea what a AAA title is supposed to be if that isn't one.

Not an amazing game to play, but mind boggling in terms of scale and production values.