Instant Noodles.

amc

For the interested: how spicy are we talking, here? Please use as a comparator the king of unnecessarily spicy noodles:

1203919561_SamyangNoodles.jpg.48d85722058c6c8bc839f356648f14f7.jpg

Which marks my absolute edge of intolerance.

Edit: for clarity, I'm referring to the 'Red Super Spicy' Shin, not Black. In my experience, Black isn't worth it, FWIW. Richer and more mushroomy than normal Shin ramyun, but that just makes it lose the pleasant simplicity of the basic form.

On 25/06/2022 at 09:43, Thor said:

Yeah, it is indeed very hot. But I like it when hot food makes my nose run a little, feels like it's clearing out my sinuses. 

It has to be on the right things for me, as mentioned above. But noodle broth is absolutely one of those things. I'll take it as feisty as possible, because it's generally quite watery - I'm guessing it doesn't stick to anything in your gob for too long. So you get the magnificent kick from the heat, but it doesn't stick around to cause you grief later.

I think I may have mentioned it before, but I once made a Bloody Mary soup. It was a tin of tomatoes (smooshed up), a very large glug of vodka, and 2 large finely chopped scotch bonnet chillis. At the time I didn't realise quite how hot this would be. It was like tomato-flavoured napalm. On the first spoonful I thought I'd bin the rest of it - it was ridiculously hot. But after a little while I went in for another go. And then another. It ended up being one of my favourite things I've ever cooked. I'd never tolerate that kind of heat on most of the stuff I'd cook, but here it was absolutely perfect. Absolutely buzzing afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after coming across this thread, this happened today when I called into a Chinese supermarket in town...

20220716_142227.thumb.jpg.e0c40c52718898912761bc439e7559df.jpg

I've had Nissin cup noodles before, but the ones that are readily available in UK supermarkets. These might be the same thing in different packaging for all I know. They do have almost a full day's allowance of salt though!

The packet noodles are new to me, so I'm looking forward to trying those out.

There were loads of varieties and brands to choose, so I'll probably grab another batch when these are gone.

So, the prawn flavour cup noodles were a fail.

They had almost 6g(!) salt in them and, while I quite like salty foods, this was just too much. I could feel my tongue tingling as I was eating them and my teeth got that odd, grating sensation that I’ve felt if I’ve ever had a salt water mouthwash.

It did contain actual prawns though, so bonus points for that, and the taste was otherwise ok, albeit nothing to write home about.

Out of interest, I checked online to see how much salt was in the Nissin Cup Noodles that are sold in regular UK supermarkets, and they average around 1g salt, so quite a difference.

I expect the beef cup noodles will be similar in their level of unpleasant saltiness, even though they have fractionally less salt than the prawn flavour.

• 1 month later...

At what point is an instant noodle no longer instant? I bought a multipack of these recently assuming they were a regular instant noodle but they take 9-10 minutes to get ready. Is that long to be considered instant? 

sesame_noodle_800.jpg

On 16/07/2022 at 15:22, FishyFish said:

So, after coming across this thread, this happened today when I called into a Chinese supermarket in town...

20220716_142227.thumb.jpg.e0c40c52718898912761bc439e7559df.jpg

I've had Nissin cup noodles before, but the ones that are readily available in UK supermarkets. These might be the same thing in different packaging for all I know. They do have almost a full day's allowance of salt though!

The packet noodles are new to me, so I'm looking forward to trying those out.

There were loads of varieties and brands to choose, so I'll probably grab another batch when these are gone.

The packet noodles from this batch were much better than the cup noodles. While they still had a decent amount of salt, it was far less than in the cups. I had a couple of tha packs with some tinned tuna thrown in, and one with a tuna steak. I'll definately get more of these (and try other flavours).

Any recommendations on cup noodles that aren't a stroke waiting to happen?

On 29/06/2022 at 22:04, Wiper said:

For the interested: how spicy are we talking, here? Please use as a comparator the king of unnecessarily spicy noodles:

1203919561_SamyangNoodles.jpg.48d85722058c6c8bc839f356648f14f7.jpg

Which marks my absolute edge of intolerance.

Edit: for clarity, I'm referring to the 'Red Super Spicy' Shin, not Black. In my experience, Black isn't worth it, FWIW. Richer and more mushroomy than normal Shin ramyun, but that just makes it lose the pleasant simplicity of the basic form.

I actually prefer the flavour of the black packet and don't find the red ones much spicier. I have a friend who is a fellow chilli fan and we both tackled the red packet expecting pain, but much to my daughters disgust (who loves to see me suffer) we didn't even break a sweat. I believe there is a level up from these (also red but 3x spicy) so that's next on the to try list. 

2 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Next selection...

20220827_140454.thumb.jpg.81ce283626ca75b927b1271646be4c2a.jpg

I had a pack of those bottom left ones recently when I was home alone - absolute fire in the mouth.

Wife told me after, that she only uses 1/4 of the packet of spice when she makes them.

16 minutes ago, Totoro said:

I had a pack of those bottom left ones recently when I was home alone - absolute fire in the mouth.

Wife told me after, that she only uses 1/4 of the packet of spice when she makes them.

I shall give your experience and advice careful consideration. :)

53 minutes ago, Totoro said:

This thread inspired me to grab a selection of instant noodles from my local Chinese shop and that same one, Shin Ramyun 'Gourmet Spicy' is the only one I've tried so far.  It was pretty hot but got used to it fairly soon and before I finished I was wishing I had some bread to soak up the rest of the liquid as was really enjoying it!

I added 100% of the sachets

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

This thread inspired me to grab a selection of instant noodles from my local Chinese shop and that same one, Shin Ramyun 'Gourmet Spicy' is the only one I've tried so far.  It was pretty hot but got used to it fairly soon and before I finished I was wishing I had some bread to soak up the rest of the liquid as was really enjoying it!

I added 100% of the sachets

Yes Nongshim Shin Ramyun are hot but very tasty. I'm not a fan of those crazy, mega hot sauces but like abit of heat and they are perfect. Easy to find in most Supermarket World food isles too.

The Nongshim Super Spicy in the black packets kicks it up a gear though. Those were pushing my limits tbh but still very tasty.

image.png.9e48cedb15ab12f03ce3c46d219edb6e.png

I started buying these from Sainsbury's. Honestly, for 20p they're not bad at all for a quick salty snack and that seems ridiculously cheap considering the cost of food these days. I prefer them to a lot of the competitors in the sub-£1 bracket.

Obviously they're not as good as the Samyang Buldak stuff, but I don't have those very often. The standard version is about my limit btw, I wouldn't get the x2 ones.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

image.png.9e48cedb15ab12f03ce3c46d219edb6e.png

I started buying these from Sainsbury's. Honestly, for 20p they're not bad at all for a quick salty snack and that seems ridiculously cheap considering the cost of food these days. I prefer them to a lot of the competitors in the sub-£1 bracket.

Obviously they're not as good as the Samyang Buldak stuff, but I don't have those very often. The standard version is about my limit btw, I wouldn't get the x2 ones.

I like them too with the rising costs but there's hardly any of them ever in stock in my local and all of the own brand ones have gone up in price

I guess I'm lucky then because there always seems to be a mountain of them in my nearest 'big' store. I grab a couple packets each time I go and always contemplate taking even more. Cheaper than a bag of crisps. Sometimes I just crave the cheap fatty instant noodles in a basic salty broth.