rllmuk

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown

I hope @Boozy The Clown is ready! :omg:

The loss of E3 and other major gaming events as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak resulted in a flurry of online showcases in their place, some quite large, elaborate, and equipped with adorable robots, and others on the smaller side. The upcoming Nacon Connect may not be the biggest show the summer will give us, but even so it's going to be worth watching.

Nacon is a relatively new name on the scene, but it's actually been around for nearly four decades: Until earlier this year, it was known as Bigben Interactive, which always struck me as a bit of an odd name for a French studio. Parent company Bigben Group changed the name in February after merging its publishing arm with game accessory company Nacon into a single entity.

Anyway, enough corporate history—back to the point: A new Test Drive game, the first in nearly a decade and the latest in a series that's almost 40 years old, will appear during the show. Its existence was actually revealed in March, although with no details (including a full title) except that it's being developed by French studio Kylotonn, the studio behind the WRC racing series.

Nacon Connect is set to take place at 6pm BST July 7, and will be viewable on YouTube and Twitch.

6B6BDA00-1DC8-4A71-B7E3-740822981211.jpeg

• Upvote 3

If they understand the missteps the Crew and Forza horizon have made and don't try to chase those two too hard they've got a chance of at least producing an interesting alternative and probably a better actual game than either.

• Upvote 1

So from the Nacon Connect presentation, I noted the following:

No release date or console formats confirmed except they have announced it will be available on Steam. Island (location not revealed) will be on a 1:1 scale, loads of avatar customisation and using WRC as a base line for the tech/modelling for the cars and physics in game, tweaked for the open world driving experience. Multiple road surfaces expected, applying their WRC expertise.  Ferrari, Bugatti and Lamborghini confirmed. The Game Director, Alain Jarniou, worked on the original TDU and TDU2 and wants to keep to the DNA of the previous games with obviously some new ideas thrown into the mix. 

More info to come. 8-)

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Well now I'm intrigued. TDU 1 and 2 were brilliant, even with the iffy handling. I know FH is stunning, but I need a change. I did enjoy The Crew, but the horrendous handling came across to the sequel, and honestly feels like the cars are pivoting around an invisible pole in the center. 

I remember clearly taking it easy on a bike in TDU and a car pulls up. We're baiting each other into going first, then it's hammer down for both of us. If one crashed, the other would wait and we'd go again. At random, without chat or voice. 

• Upvote 4

I didn't think that the handling was too bad, to be honest.

It was the game-killing bugs that did it for most people - but it still did what it did like no other game, and I include the various Forza Horizons in that.

are we taking bets on which island?

Corsica (because French/Mediterranean)

Manhatten/the 5 boroughs (because Liberty wears a solar/radiant crown)

Mauritius (great roads, good mix of black top and dirt roads, plus varied geography, similar or Oahu)

35 minutes ago, footle said:

That’s an amazing reveal video. Why bother announcing?!

Why not? We have known for a while that the rights to the game were bought by BigBen (ne Nacon) and KT were going to be involved but we have had silence for a long time so It’s nice to know it’s now official, we have a title, we know they are looking to keep it to the style of the previous games, it generates interest, the gaming media start to report on it etc - all good in my book. You only have to see the comments and reactions on social media to see the excitement this has caused, especially from those with fond memories of the series. Job done.

I’m kind of hoping the fact there is no release date yet points to a PS5/Series X release. Next gen TDU, yes please! 

4 hours ago, djbhammer said:

using WRC as a base line for the tech/modelling for the cars and physics in game, tweaked for the open world driving experience...

This bodes well! 

2 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Perhaps due to budget constraints its set on the Isle Of Wight?

They’d have to call it Testdrive, Track & Trace.

• Upvote 5
11 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Perhaps due to budget constraints its set on the Isle Of Wight?

( I really liked Test Drive!!!  and actually cannot wait to see ) 

I'd love for it to be set on the Isle of Wight, having grown up there. 

• Upvote 1

I remember in the first TDU going to the road in the top of the volcano, popping it I'm neutral and just seeing how far I could roll, it was a really simple thing to do but that was all part of the charm of the game you could do what you wanted. Similarly there was a spot you could jump into the airport if you bounced just right off a wall and manage to jump the fence and enjoy all the untextured delights of the airport.

Just pure freedom and I loved the car delivery missions too, just the right amount of risk and reward.

Having to discover the dealerships was a really nice touch too.

Then the added the bikes and the M.V. Agusta was a thing of wonder.

• Upvote 2