(PC) Current and popular online multiplayer games?

Hi,

what are some current and popular online multiplayer games for PC (preferably with not-so-toxic communities)? And what games are you personally playing online on PC? Coop, PVP or PVE but ideally without the necessity to play in clans or with friends, as I don't have many online gaming friends.

I myself used to play Rocket League and will soon start playing it again. Heard good things about R6 Siege (even though there seems to be some toxidity in the community?!).

Plus, maybe we can create some groups or add each other as friends on Steam to play together?

• Upvote 1

Destiny 2? There are solo missions, matchmaking co-op missions and events, PvP, PvP, PvPvE modes, and unless you're doing late-game stuff then you can join up with randoms. :) 

I play PUBG. They recently added bots because the servers were so empty and now everyone who plays it is really, really angry because it’s got bots.

I am enjoying it more since they added bots. 

Does it have to be shooty?  How about driving?  Assetto Corsa Competizione is currently getting some love on our very own Rllmuk server:  

11 hours ago, Broker said:

I play PUBG. They recently added bots because the servers were so empty and now everyone who plays it is really, really angry because it’s got bots.

Empty servers? I thought this was a mega hit, like Fortnite? 

Basically check out twitch to see what are the biggest games on PC at the moment, but the newest breakthrough hit is Valorant.

It's made by Riot (league of legends people), free to play (you can buy cosmetic items) and is a cross between Overwatch and Counter Strike.

It's absolutely incredible.

No big online PC game doesn’t have its fair share of dickheads. CS:GO is probably the worst for it that I’ve played. Destiny 2 is probably the best, followed by Overwatch. Battlefield 5 is plagued by cheaters, although it and Apex Legends are my favourite multiplayer shooters. Valorant and Escape from Tarkov are two very successful recent additions. Tarkov isn’t particularly toxic but has a steep learning curve and is just a lesson in pure pressure due to its risk / reward system. 

• Upvote 1

There is only one, well only one I'm playing...Escape From Tarkov! 

It is the best thing I've played on pc in years. Utterly terrifying, brutally hard to begin with and ultimately, thrillingly rewarding. Absolutely love it and a complete blast with others (also be played singularly). Not really anything like it out there and highly recommended. :)

Come play with few of us off here and others @alex3d

16 hours ago, Broker said:

I love bots in CS:GO. Find an empty server doing GunGame, just me and some bots. Much more enjoyable. 

• Upvote 1

I would of course say Valorant, but as others have mentioned it's a competitive PC game so there's going to be some level of toxicity. It's not been nearly as bad as I thought it might be.

The other thing I'd throw out there is the lovely Sea of Thieves. Obviously works much, much better if you can get a crew of people you know, but I think that there are a fair few people on here that are into it.

Team Fortress 2. Not played it in a while but it's still going strong. The only issue is that so much has been added to the game down the years, both from Valve and the community, it would probably be a bit confusing to a total newcomer. But in all the time I played it I never encountered any toxicity. 

Another one would be Killing Floor 2. I played this for a while when it was early access and really enjoyed it, but I'll be honest and say I'm scared to go back in and have to team up with people who know all the maps and don't want to have to carry dead weight, although you would get decent people who would drop all their excess cash so others could upgrade between rounds. Had a fantastic experience on it though, was playing with randoms and it ended up with me and this other guy, no voice chat but we worked really well as a team, sealing up the doors and covering each other. It's those sort of moments that make online gaming great, just a shame they're rare, for me at least. 

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

The other thing I'd throw out there is the lovely Sea of Thieves. Obviously works much, much better if you can get a crew of people you know, but I think that there are a fair few people on here that are into it.

That looks lovely, thanks. Is it doable to come in as a newcomer at this point in time?

12 minutes ago, alex3d said:

That looks lovely, thanks. Is it doable to come in as a newcomer at this point in time?

There's no "progression" in the traditional sense - it's all about playing pirate dress up and having fun, and while somebody playing for a few years might have some experience their stuff is exactly the same as yours. I've got it on The XBOX app, but I'm pretty sure the version on Steam will be completely compatible as well - if you end up picking it up I'd be more than happy to show you around the game over the RLLMUK Discord.

But as I said, there are people on here that really like it, so I'm pretty certain a full crew of 4 wouldn't be much of a challenge to put together.

It is a somewhat diminished experience solo, though - just bear that in mind.

8 hours ago, alex3d said:

Empty servers? I thought this was a mega hit, like Fortnite? 

It was, and it’s still got a respectable number of players, but it’s dipped since it was breaking records and unfortunately the way the queues are set up was designed around having two million players and doesn’t really work with 200k. So bots are their best solution without removing whole modes or styles of play.

I've got a rocket league addiction.  The amount of hours I've put in does not reflect my ability :blush: It can be toxic at times in the competitive mode.

Currently: Path of Exile (New league's two weeks old) and Phantasy Star Online 2 (relatively new overall for western servers, JP servers currently have an event on). Started playing Remnant: From The Ashes privately with the online lads - Discord is a very big tool in sorting out games with friends, just like how some IRL friends have started sorting out X-Box Game Pass sessions via FB Messenger.

If I really felt like playing an FPS outside of current trends on Twitch, I'd probably have a punt at Titanfall 2. It has about a tenth of current FPS games' average players, but then again I quite like server hopping on UT98 to this very day, so it just depends what games float your boat more than anything else when it comes to PC stuff.

5 hours ago, Vimster said:

Another one would be Killing Floor 2. I played this for a while when it was early access and really enjoyed it, 

As a heads up - this is the free game giveaway next week (from 9th July) on Epic games.  So a) give it a try  @alex3d and b) it's suddenly going to get loads of players, and loads of noobs to try it out with too... 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, deerokus said:

A friend of mine loves GTFO, 4 player co-op survival horror.

GTFO is excellent, but very very difficult - it can't really be solo'd and there's no matchmaking, so you need to have a group of people to play it. The atmosphere superb though - I don't think it's actually particularly scary, but it's definitely a stressful experience. I'd recommend taking any trailers for it showing fast paced gun fights with a pinch of salt though - the majority of the game is slow as hell, tiptoing around enemies that you really don't want to be fighting.

You've only got the ammo for one or two actual engagements before you're drained and need to start scavenging for resources. Killing monsters one at a time quietly is key.

• Upvote 1

Another vote for Tarkov. Myself, @Len, @Herbalizer and @Sir Mullo play together regularly.

It is a game you'll get frustrated with, but you can play solo and with friends.

We're all still making mistakes, some more than others. No names.

Spoiler

Len

It is pretty punishing though so you'll need to like a challenge.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, simms said:

I've got a rocket league addiction.  The amount of hours I've put in does not reflect my ability :blush: It can be toxic at times in the competitive mode.

It has the distinction of having by far the most unfriendly community I have ever experienced.  Even on PS4 back in the days before crossplay someone managed to tell my chum they hoped his grandma dies of cancer via text chat.  These days on the rare occasions I play it, I thoroughly enjoy winding up toxic players.