rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PeteBrant

Soul Calibur 2

What’s the path of least resistance to playing soul calibur 2 for Xbox ? Did the HD version on 360 have all the team versus modes ? Is it still available ? 

I sold my 360 ages ago but just wondering what options there are to play this game on couch versus again. 

• Upvote 1

What a game. I feel inspired too. Just dug this out from the archives. If you’re going to play it, you have to plump for the best version! 

8978DC18-1199-4BB1-B87B-8BE87827644D.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Haha but surely the best version of Soul Calibur 2 is Soul Calibur? 

Sadly the series never again lived up to the DC game for me. Am I being unfair on SC2?

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, pastry said:

Haha but surely the best version of Soul Calibur 2 is Soul Calibur? 

Sadly the series never again lived up to the DC game for me. Am I being unfair on SC2?

There were some features I preferred about SC2: the ability to choose weapons with different properties, and I think some of the special/gimmick conditions in SC2's Weapon Master Mode were a bit more interesting than the equivalents in SC1's Mission Mode. (Though IIRC the SC1 mission descriptions had better flavour text that made it feel more like an adventure.)

As for characters:

• SC1 had Hwang (possibly my favourite character in the game, as he was the one I used when learning to play; I never liked SC2's equivalent Yun-seong anywhere near as much!), Lizardman (yeah his moves were just cloned from Sophitia, but he is a series ICON) and Rock (I'm indifferent about him; I preferred Astaroth).
  • SC2 had its format exclusives (Link, Spawn, that Tekken guy), Talim, and Raphael.

...SC1 wins! Yes, I liked playing as Hwang just that much more than Yun-seong.

Soul Calibur 1 had other things I preferred about its presentation too, like its customisable intro sequence, and the exhibition katas. SC1 had a better selection of Art Gallery images and other unlockables - and to be honest, unlocking them was a big reason I played it for so long. :wub:

• Upvote 1

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast holds a special place in my heart. 

iIt exists at a time in my life when all my friends, male and female, played video games. We’d sit and play that and crazy taxi to stupid o’clock after a night out having a full blown laugh doing so. 

• Upvote 1

I prefer soul calibur 1 in my mind but going back to them both in the cold light of day, soul calibur 2 is leagues ahead. 

It’s a little less floaty, graphics are better, more content and you don’t have to use the Dreamcast pad! 

GC pad for a fighting game can't be much better.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Camel said:

GC pad for a fighting game can't be much better.

It’s not the best but still better than the DC pad in my opinion. Although the arcade stick for DC is good... I don’t know. Pros and cons for both I suppose