rllmuk
Harrisown

Your Moment Of This Generation 2013-2020

Great thread. I'll have to have a serious think. I have lots of ideas bubbling over. It's been a fucking amazing gen, personally speaking. 

• Upvote 2

The first couple of hours of Skellige in Witcher 3 are probably my fondest in gaming, not just this generation.

• Upvote 5

Dozens of Noita moments, none of which I want to spoil.

Half Life: Alyx full-fat Index VR.

Walking through the clock face after the Maria boss battle in Bloodborne.

When you realise that in The Witness.

The absolute tension of a SpyParty session.

• Upvote 4

Something Elite Dangerous, but not quite sure what.  Docking, supercruising around planets, lurching out of hyperspace with the star blazing away right there, the galaxy map. :wub:

• Upvote 3

That moment that I 'got' From games.

Everything else pales now.

• Upvote 5

It’s Breath of the wild isn’t it, the opening moments and the next (for me) 120 hours of perfection - my only only regret is that you can never experience it for the first time again.

Ohh, imagine it was out for lockdown :blink:

My first victory royale in Fortnite is also up there for me - not many moments have given the same level of exhilaration, relief and sheer joy and I’m still playing the games chasing the same dragon!

• Upvote 9

The first time I loaded into a single seat racing car in VR (in the first Project Cars) and I was just THERE!  Felt like I could reach out and touch the sides of the car.

• Upvote 6

VR for the first time. (On quest)

Nothing has gave me that "Holy shit, this in incredible" feeling in games ever like that.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

The first time I loaded into a single seat racing car in VR (in the first Project Cars) and I was just THERE!  Felt like I could reach out and touch the sides of the car.

it’s probably project cars in VR for me as well, suddenly realising the elevation profiles on Brands Hatch and finding myself just naturally *driving* as I normally would - and using the same visual distance cues I normally would - entirely naturally was an amazing demonstration of the technology. 

though hand presence in general worked well, the other most impressive examples (drawing a gridded platform under my feet in quill, colouring it in, resizing it, suddenly giving myself vertigo!)  weren’t games so much.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

The moment you walk out of the cave in Breath of the Wild, and walk to the edge of the plateau seeing the world below and beyond. Knowing you can explore all of it.

• Upvote 2

Split between firing up Rez Infinite as my first VR game on PSVR and Wipeout Omega on PSVR, that moment you load in and you really are sat in a Feisar Speed, the scale of everything is incredible, and then it starts to move. Both utterly mind blowing.

• Upvote 7

A few moments:-

Actually enjoying the Kinect Fit app on the Xbox one clever tech. Then they canned the app and Kinect! :)

VR on the PS4 I was so impressed I invested in the PC and Oculus. Now a VR convert feels to me we have already had the next gen shift in gaming! Driving around a track with PS:VR on Gran Turismo Sport was just something special. Also all the other Sony VR experiences I had.

Uncharted 4 - loved this great game and they nailed the balance between puzzles/shooting and story for me. 

Forza Horizon 4 - Driving around the UK in lovely 4K with different seasons what was not to like. OK single player campaign mode felt a bit disjointed.

Half Life Alyx. Benchmark of what a VR experience should be IMHO.

Switch been actually really good! Despite my initial scepticism over a underpowered mobile chipset Nintendo delivered a system that just worked well. Zelda and Mario again exceptional . Even though wasn't really that impressed the way Zelda went with and preferred the more linear older games. It was a technical marvel and a rich environment to explore. 

Xbox X. Lovely piece of hardware. Astonished MS made this. Quiet, sleek and technically pokey. Quite the surprise after the RRoD mess that was the 360.

Probably other momenta but these are the standouts. 

* OK inline with the topic bolded my definitive moment!

• Upvote 3

The Switch hardware reveal, undoubtedly. Right from the get-go it captured the imagination, promising and delivering a new, fresh, exciting way to play games. As a consumer product it’s up there with the iPhone - its a home console, it’s a handheld, are you getting it?  That it then went on to deliver arguably Nintendo’s greatest first party lineup ever was the icing on the cake, not to mention the renaissance in indie games it ushered in. 

The Switch is what playing games is all about. A virtuous circle of fresh thinking, that generates enthusiasm and excitement, that generates mass market appeal and a thriving ecosystem that in turn generates even more, new games. 

• Upvote 8

inb4 "the Switch is the new gen along with the PS5 and Series X, otherwise where does the WiiU go" :blah:

(sorry)

• Upvote 1

Destiny 1: the race to finish the content of the first great wave of the game, doing all the raids, maxing my level, finding the perfect weapons, culminating with Skolas, the boss in the Prison Of Elders, hardest of all enemies, The Uncheesable. Sitting up until the early hours with fellow Mukkers on the last night of the deadline, finally crushing him after many attempts.

Nothing in Destiny since has topped it for me, and given the time I can put into the game, nothing ever will. If this is the generation of GaaS and having a single game as your go-to hobby, that period I rinsed Destiny defines it.

• Upvote 5

Seeing the first Labo trailer made me laugh out loud with excitement. I love folding paper stuff so this was a combination that was as unexpected as it was satisfying. Bought and built them all without question. Some of the folds and constructions were so ingenious that it instantly became a highlight of gaming. Those moments when something clicks into place and you realise you’ve built a clacking turning thing are always sweet. I’m always secretly hoping for them to appear in a Direct. 

• Upvote 6

Ugly-crying my way through the end of The Last Guardian probably. :lol: Nothing else quite landed the same way for me this generation, or perhaps so many games had so many memorable moments of their own.

Curling up with BotW on the train about a week after getting my Switch and realising that handhelds were back for real was quite something though.

• Upvote 7

Walking out of the prison in Uncharted 4 and seeing the castle thing in the sunlight, covered in ivy, and then climbing all over it.

Drinking with Lenny in Red Dead 2.

The cannery bit in Edith Finch.

• Upvote 3