rllmuk
Harrisown

Your Moment Of This Generation 2013-2020

It's Breath of the Wild. It's always Breath of the Wild. It's everything in Breath of the Wild.

Spoiler

Oh and O&S in Dark Souls I guess.

• Upvote 8

Parachuting onto an island with 99 other real players, getting a lucky early kill, frantically looting, trying to map the best path forward as the playable area shrinks. A care package drops nearby - should I loot it? Hell yes. There's another player there already but I manage to hold my awful auto spray and take him out. Nice gear. Into top 10. Kill a guy mid grenade throw and another I hear behind me running late with zone damage. Then it goes quiet. 4 left, then 3. The zone is tiny now but I still have good cover. I wait for the last two to engage, then as soon as the fight is over I rush the last one. Heart is beating out of my chest. Bam. Winner winner chicken dinner.

There's been so many great moments but nothing has matched peak pubg.

• Upvote 5

Picking up a cigar, smoking it then actually blowing 'smoke' out of my own mouth in that East End pub. There's been better VR games since but that was the moment.

• Upvote 3

Unboxing the Shenmue 3 collectors edition after an 18 year wait was a joyous once in a lifetime experience. loved the game too, despite the critics

Titanfall 2's Cause and Effect mission, a novel idea extremely well executed 

Astro Bot VR's Stormy Weather level and the shit eating grin plastered across my face while playing it

Streets of Rage 4 becoming a reality and being really, really fucking good

Uncharted 4's Libertalia reveal. Still impressive. Goonies for grown-ups!

Yakuza Zero for reigniting my love of all things Sega after far too long.

Bloodborne for breaking me down then building me back up again, all the way to the platinum trophy

The Last of Us Part 2 an absolute technical, storytelling and trap laying masterpiece

• Upvote 8

Not read any of the thread yet, so this is my uninfluenced answer.

The Last Guardian - there are many moments within that game but the one that first came to mind is near the end, when Trico starts fighting to protect your character in the dome. It was my 4 year old daughters reaction to what she saw happening that made it so memorable.

edit - now I have glanced at the other replies. Of course, Astro Bot. The first appearance of the whale specifically. Every VR experience could be  the moment of the generation - my first flight in AC7 also stands out as unforgettable. 

• Upvote 3

Recently, the ending to The Last of Us 2 was pretty special.

But yeah, the answer is Breath of the Wild. All of it.

• Upvote 2

Got to be HYRULE WARRIORS. One of the best games of all time. And I bought it 4 times.

The first musou game I “got”. Over 600 hours put into it across the Wii U and 3DS.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Realising that the futuristic robot FPS I had bought for some mindless shooting had much stronger narrative and character design than it had any right to.

• Upvote 9

Spoilers for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Although lets be honest, everyone who is ever going to play that game already has so you might as well just read it.

Spoiler

Finally reuniting the two parties at the end of the game for the final showdown. Alm and Celica fighting together against the final boss. Then sitting back at the end of the 60+ hour journey to read the obligatory epilogue text for all the characters including some very poignant descriptions of the survivors mourning the loss of their friends who didn't make it.

Then I guess the first hell level in Doom 2016.

Breath Of The Wild, everyone's going to mention that though.

Riding chocobos for the first time in FF15, haring through a forest in the middle of a torrential downfall, weaving between the trees.

• Upvote 1

Throwing ninja stars in Nintendoland. It's some kind of bloody wizardry. 

I'm not even into Lord Of The Rings,  but Middle Earth Shadow Of Mordor   ( and the sequel too i guess )   is  AMAZING, and so much fun.  So i'll have that!
its version of A.I.  is bonkers, how an enemy you let escape remembers you...

stabby.jpg

• Upvote 5

Two things spring immediately to mind at the moment:

- The introduction 'race' at the start of Forza Horizon 4. Going through the cycle of seasons, the change-up between the versions of Sunrise being played in the background, the different driving disciplines leading to just thrashing that Senna towards the festival was something really, really special.

- Trying out Superhot VR on the Oculus Quest. I've played Superhot traditionally, and I tried out the Rift at game expos (and was impressed that I could play a walking sim and do dumb shit like peeking my head through bridge bannisters). But there's one particular bit where, after shooting a guy who had a gun on him, I had this Eureka moment where I simply reached out and grabbed the gun from the shot guy with my other hand while it was in midair, turned around and shot both guns at two separate assailants. It honestly sounds like the most basic shit in the universe, but there was that real moment of 'wait, can I do this?' after the restraints of traditional videogames and it actually fucking working.

• Upvote 8

Left out the absolute gut-punches delivered by This War of Mine. No game has ever had me feel the weight of each action like that.

• Upvote 1

Superhot VR - first time dodging a bullet like Neo

Rocket League bringing back the whole same couch co op online multiplayer experience for me and my friends that I've missed since Halo 3. Ultimately getting involved in a local doubles tournament and scraping through to the semi finals :)

Breath of the Wild - the first sandbox game (that I've played) to truly get the idea of emergent gameplay and freedom. The moment that sunk in, was when I got off the plateau and made it my personal quest to get all dem towers.

Mario Odyssey - new donk city's climax

• Upvote 7

There's a lot. Red Dead 2 and the whole, long ending when the song kicks in was just perfect and so memorable.

Breath of The Wild as others have said.

Everything about GTAV was deserving of all the hype that preceded it. 

Splatoon 2 was the first online shooter I enjoyed as I was good at it.

Collecting orbs on Crackdown.

Just Cause 2 and a huge game-map.

Skyrim and the spectacular scenery.

One moment though in The Walking Dead Episode 1. 

Spoiler

Lee's death. It completely shocked me how emotional it was. 

It's not something I've experienced before or since.

• Upvote 4

I agree with all the BotW mentions and reasons, but for me the main stand out is that it’s playable fully handheld.

In some ways it highlights that the arms race for power and graphics isn’t that important as the best developers (Nintendo) can make the best games on the lowest powered hardware.

• Upvote 5

This was incredible:

It helped that it was the first game I ever tried in 4k HDR on the new OLED, but still, it's a hell of a way to start a game. Jets, motorbikes, seasons, drum and bass, all turned up to 11.

Or this, which was just a fantastic tribute to Mario:

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I agree with all the BotW mentions and reasons, but for me the main stand out is that it’s playable fully handheld.

In some ways it highlights that the arms race for power and graphics isn’t that important as the best developers (Nintendo) can make the best games on the lowest powered hardware.

I think Breath of The Wild looks phenomenal. It's got it's own identity in terms of aesthetics. 

Similarly, Mario Kart Deluxe just looks great and Splatoon 2 is a masterclass in design. Yes Read Dead 2 and The Witcher represent amazingly realistic world's but we're used to seeing a hedge or a tree in real life. 

The music in those three Switch games is also something that Nintendo put a lot of work into.

• Upvote 6

Very tough to choose. There's been an awful lot of great moments this gen.

Probably the one that made the most impact on me was my first introduction to the great city of Novigrad in Witcher 3 though. 

After playing through hours of the game in the countryside, stepping into the city was a bit of an eye-opener. On the PC at least, the level of people everywhere (and all sorts of fun side animations going on all over the place) was absolutely awesome.

Still think it's the best representation of a city ever created really.

1078555812_TheWitcher3Screenshot2020_07_07-08_11_23_87.thumb.jpg.a27806814ab94613f8188c84c7ddbe96.jpg

• Upvote 5

BotW - The cave exit and camera pull back to titles. I restarted it a few weeks back and it gave me goosebumps, like the wonder of the moment itself was overlapped with nostalgia for my first playthrough and the knowledge of what was actually to come.

Mario Odyssey - The 2D culmination of New Donk City. Thirty years of Mario had built up to that moment, a total orgy of music, visuals, gameplay, self-reflection and self-celebration. The game itself isn't quite Galaxy tier but this moment is as thrilling as anything in the whole series. 

Bloodborne - I could easily have chosen the incredible moment you suddenly know that you know nothing, but I'm going to go for the first time I beat the Cleric Beast after about thirty attempts. I was literally punching the air and roaring. I bought a PS4 as soon as I saw the Project Beast trailer,  and that was the exact moment I realised that it had delivered.

Forza Horizon 4 - The intro race, as posted by several people. It was escalating euphoria, a dizzying rush of colours and music and speed, and the reason I first bought a One X. I'm not at all ashamed to say that I started to well up at the overwhelming spectacle. Pure gaming joy.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - The staggering intro sequence as the camera pulls out from Aerith to reveal Midgar as you've never seen it before. The title reveal and that colossal fanfare. The swooping camera into the bombing mission music and you're suddenly there. It's the Final Fantasy VII Remake, and you're playing it. If there were ever a moment where a game carried the impossible weight of expectation and truly stuck the landing, it was right here. 

• Upvote 7

Forza 7  - Suzuka in the rain and the reflections of the big wheel on the track, the thunderous sound, the driving rain, the glory of all that 4K 60fps HDR eye melting graphical whizzbang.

Titanfall - Calling in a Titan for the first time and the seemless transition between jumping in and out of a big massive gigantic mech of doom.

Sea of Thieves - Every time the sun sets or rises and someone on the boat points it out reflecting a stunning horizon across that mathematical impossibility that is the SEA. 

Putting my quest on for the first time and experiencing the first steps demo. Being scared of how quickly my brain was tricked into believing I was somewhere else. 

Superhot VR - all of it but deflecting bullets with an axe like Neo when he goes full "the One."

Batman Arkham Knight - Manbat

Playing Doom for the first time and getting a little too excited with the ultraviolence.

Injustice 2 - doing Superman's special move against Batman.

Life is Strange - "what have I done...…."

Mad Max - Blowing shit up

Red Dead 2 - Every time I play it I have a moment.TT

TT Ilse of Man - Hearing the wind kick up when you get up to speed and your eyes go dry because you cannot blink.

• Upvote 4

For me it's finally understanding the Yakuza series. And if I was to pick one moment from that series it would be from Yakuza Kiwami. I'll spoiler it just in case....

After playing through the story in Yakuza 0 and then the end of Kiwami you face off against your former best friend on top of the Millenium Tower, all while some incredibly dramatic music plays. Cut to mid fight and you take turns punching each other as flashes of your time growing up in an orphanage appears on screen.

WHAT A SERIES.

• Upvote 3

Astrobot all the way. The part where you’re inside a whale and the water rises up so your eyes can see the surface of the water and you feel like you shouldn’t be able to breathe. 

so many parts of astrobot blew me away though. I felt the same wonder that I did when I first saw mario 64 playing in a dark and dingy import shop back in the mid 90’s.

its on a Sony console but that game is pure nintendo.

• Upvote 1

For me, this gen has been all about wonderfully realised and crafted 3d worlds and no game did it better for me than subnautica.

Specifically the moment that I realised the world didn't just stretch as far as the eye could see, but also went down as far as I could imagine. The moment, after hours of playing, that I got my first proper depth upgrade, and visited an area that had been just under where I started, just blew my mind. And it was all beautifully crafted, designed and thought out. Every different area and biome was a joy to experience.

Nothing else I've played before, or since, felt as real and loved as the world in that game.

Playing, and really enjoying, no man's sky, has made me realise how special the properly crafted world of subnautica is, compared to no man's sky's procedurally generated worlds that can quickly be identified to be just that, created by an algorithm and not a person. Subnautica's world was designed with purpose and care, and had the scale to go with it that has only really been possible this gen. Other games achieved the scale aspect but nothing else has come anywhere near the design and compact beauty of Subnautica.

Honourable mention to Oxygen Not Included for bringing real world physics and chemistry to video games and making it actually enjoyable as a game. The first time that I realised that instead of building a refrigerator to store food, I could build a small pit beneath the living area, let CO2 in to it and store the food there instead, was a great moment.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Great to read people describe actual moments in here. Less so just lists of whole games.

Anyway.

Here are some bits from MGSV:

Approaching an enemy encampment, scoping out the place until you've got them all tracked on screen, about to go in and start clearing the place out. But first the all important backing music selection. Stealthing to A-Ha, Take on Me.

Creating a string of different non-lethal takedowns. Set up a decoy, plant sleep mines nearby, send in D-dog for a taser attack then finish off a straggler with the tranq gun. All complete with comedy snoring and zzz effects.

Approaching a mission where you have to take out a tank and realising for the first time you can simply crawl up behind it and Fulton extract the whole thing.

A mission where I'm trapped in a dead end against a huge fence. Enemies closing in. There's a gate in the fence but it's locked and I can't get through. But there's a jeep parked over there. Could I bust through the gate in that? That never works in games though, does it? I'll try it anyway. Get int he jeep reverse back a bit to get a run up, power towards the gate. It smashes open A-Team style and I'm home free. Of course it worked. Everything works in MGSV. 

This is where I'm at. I'm not sure this gen has seen a total shift from scripted to systemic moments, but they have certainly been the moments I've enjoyed the most.  MGSV and BotW have been the standouts, but all these moments are what we made of them and getting a large group of people to agree on a singular experience is probably the trade off.  For me it's worth, especially in how those games allow you to recover from mistakes, to improvise when something unexpected happens and to feel like you've fucked with the NPCs (like cheeky fultoning of military hardware in MGSV).  I don't think I'll ever recreate the feeling I got when I first walked into Orgrimmar in 2005 because that was a moment which changed my very idea of what games could be, but the extra systemic things which became possible in this gen and will continue to expand in the next are where I get my kicks.  

• Upvote 3

Noita is the systemic standout of this gen.

Having said that, one MGSV moment I particularly loved involved driving a pickup into a checkpoint, bailing, then setting off the inflatable decoy I had placed atop, which was weebling all over the place with guards losing their shit over it.

Also my old faithful. Smoke grenade in confined space. Guard comes in, sees me in far corner as smoke clears only to find IT'S A DECOY, and I step out from behind the door and gut him.

Final great thing: Call in supply crate on enemy noggin.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

- Bloodborne's switch from classic Victorian horror to full-blown cosmic horror was masterfully done. The whole game is a masterpiece, by far the best game of this gen I think, but if I had to pick one thing from it, that would be it. Followed by the Ludwig boss fight, which has the best mid-fight transistion ever. ""Aah, you were at my side, all along.
My true mentor... My guiding moonlight..."

- Playing Cuphead and realising I'm playing a damn Fleischer cartoon.

- VR and Astro Bot in particular. The first water level is astonishing. Water as far as you can see and then actually going under water with those robot dolphins swimming next to you was magical. The towering shark boss is another highlight.

- Hitman returning to its roots for two brilliant murder sandboxes.

- The final boss in Sekiro, one of the most exhilarating boss fights ever, forcing you to nail all the mechanics the game had taught you.

- The sheer systemic depth of Prey. Sorry, Breath of the Wild. This was 2017's best game and it deserved a bigger audience.

- The ending of SOMA, probably the most thought-provoking game of this gen.

- The sense of discovery in Outer Wilds, a game that nails the wonders and dangers of space in an unrivaled manner.

- The Last Guardian's Trico, probably the most astonishing AI companion in all of gaming. The ending was beautiful and I loved that little water puzzle where you needed to ride the wave caused by Trico's jump into the water.

- The final stretch of Inside, one of the craziest, weirdest moments I've ever played in a game.

- The Last of Us 2 

Spoiler

letting you play as 'the villain', making you care about her and pissing off alt-right trash in the process was tremendous.

No AAA game this gen has been as ambitious as this one.

What a gen.

• Upvote 7