rllmuk
Harrisown

Your Moment Of This Generation 2013-2020

A slightly niche honourable mention: finding my first settlement in Nier Automata, discovering the stores, upgrades and sidequests, and gradually getting exactly what I was hoping for but never quite expecting - an actual RPG in the vein of Gestalt, and not the character-action vessel I was dreading after the demo. I’m still blown away by the news of Replicant making a return too... :wub: 

• Upvote 2

A moment from my recent replay of Dark Souls 3 would absolutely be up there for me. The first time I'd played it at launch I'd had an anxiety attack of a weekend fighting the Princes towards the end of the game. I knew I should have just walked away from it for a bit but for some reason didn't and just kept getting angrier and angrier fighting these two bastards. I did them after two solid days of trying but it killed my enthusiasm for the game and I walked away when I saw the last boss had a second phase. Then, this year for some reason I tried the game again and got up to the Princes knowing I was in for another slog. 

They went down in one go. My gaming moment of the generation, or certainly one of them. Every little thing they did was so ingrained in my mind from the countless hours spent failing to them that I just knocked the fuck of them first time of asking. No chest palpitations from last time, no swearing at the top of my voice, just "oh shit I can fucking well do this" and dancing around them until they were dead. I smashed through the back half of the game, Nameless fell solo after about five tries, I bought and loved the DLC, and Cinder went down after about three tries. Slave Knight Gael is second only to Artorius as my favourite Souls boss. 

This generation has been the one in which I truly "got" the Dark Souls series. And I felt I'd sort of fallen out of love with them after struggling with 3. But nope, the love's still there and smashing those stupid bastard Princes felt like a summary of everything I love about these games. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Jackson said:

Mario Odyssey - new donk city's climax

This. Made we well up with joy.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Playing Tetris Effect on PSVR for the first time, the gradual build up of music, lights and colours on the first stage, thumping heartbeat, and underwater drones and then it all goes still for a moment.

"I'm yours forever..."

Proper lump in the throat stuff, really happy tears. I love that game so much. 

I was literally just writing this one up when I had to take a phone call :lol:

• Upvote 4

I'm currently playing DS3 and finally seem to have got the hang of a From game and it's pretty special.

I don't know if I can point to one specific thing that is my absolute highlight of the generation, but there was a point in BOTW, as you make your way to Kakiro, as I climbed up a mountain at night and in the rain - those two mountains either side of a river, when I suddenly realised just what this game was, how big it was and what I could do, that was pretty damn special.

Looking down on Zora's domain was pretty incredible too. The scale of that world is just marvelous and every now and then you just find something that makes your jaw drop, like a giant bloody dragon just flying through the sky.

• Upvote 2

Being able to fly everywhere and climb anything in Breath of The Wild. So many times I’d get stuck up mountains in Skyrim, or just frustrated generally that I couldn’t climb things in most games of this type. First thing I did after stepping out onto the plateau was go and climb a tree, because I just knew it would let me. For once an open world game that truly fits the title.

I mean it wasn’t even doing anything knew, Assassins Creed & Skyrim spring to mind, it’s just the way it combines all its elements so well. And it’s still really the only open world game where I know exactly where I am from sight without having to consult a map or use waypoints. 

• Upvote 2

Oh, and how can I have forgotten Darker Side of the Moon? Makes From games look like a walk in the park and finally finishing it and Cappy telling you about all you've been through together is a wonderful moment.

• Upvote 4

For me it was probably about 6 hours into my release-day stint on Breath of the Wild when it hit home to me that Nintendo's magic can still overcome platform hardware performance arms races. The whole game was a somewhat magical experience.

• Upvote 8

Mario Odyssey for me. Walked in and picked up the Switch Odyssey pack on launch and even if that was the only game I'd played on the Switch it would still have been worth it for the absolute joy it gave me playing through it. Very reminiscent of getting my SNES with Mario World back in the day. In fact I need to kick Mrs Majestyk off Animal Crossing so I can play through it again!

• Upvote 7

Actually yeah, Mario Odyssey is just a needle full of joy straight to the heart.

• Upvote 2

I'll be honest, nothing this Gen has come close to the heights of having my mind blown by the sheer inventiveness of games like Braid, Fez, and the Zero Escape Trilogy. Even AI: Somnium Files, as wonderful as it was, didn't quite hit that spot.

Except The Witness, actually. So I'm going to go with the first environment puzzle I did on the Witness. Then realising that those larger puzzles in the maze section could be done multiple ways, with the less obvious way actually freeing the sight up for an environmental puzzle.

edit! And Level is You.

• Upvote 1

What Remains of Edith Finch for me, for how it made me feel (and still does - I often think about it). Perhaps it was a perfect storm of when I played it, but it was incredibly powerful for me, leaving me happy, sad, lonely, inquisitive and feeling just a little bit closer to those around me. No game has ever come close to how that made me feel.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

20 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I'll be honest, nothing this Gen has come close to the heights of having my mind blown by the sheer inventiveness of games like Braid, Fez, and the Zero Escape Trilogy. Even AI: Somnium Files, as wonderful as it was, didn't quite hit that spot.

Except The Witness, actually. So I'm going to go with the first environment puzzle I did on the Witness. Then realising that those larger puzzles in the maze section could be done multiple ways, with the less obvious way actually freeing the sight up for an environmental puzzle.

edit! And Level is You.

Do you mean Baba is You? And have you played Return of the Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds? Seem games you would enjoy. :)

Plenty for me - realising just how incredible BoTW was within 5 minutes of starting it is a great shout, but this particular moment has to be my choice.

After completing the first set of Tall Tales on Sea of Thieves with @mechamonkey and we were sailing back to the outpost as the sun was setting, completely drained yet pumped full of adrenaline from the mission.  The feeling of accomplishment, the feeling of having taken part in a gaming experience which was so thoroughly immersive, and THAT scenery to end it with.

A very, very special moment.

IMG_e2580aa9-11ac-41d0-8960-8241d1d444f3.png

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Plenty for me - realising just how incredible BoTW was within 5 minutes of starting it is a great shout, but this particular moment has to be my choice.

After completing the first set of Tall Tales on Sea of Thieves with @mechamonkey and we were sailing back to the outpost as the sun was setting, completely drained yet pumped full of adrenaline from the mission.  The feeling of accomplishment, the feeling of having taken part in a gaming experience which was so thoroughly immersive, and THAT scenery to end it with.

A very, very special moment.

IMG_e2580aa9-11ac-41d0-8960-8241d1d444f3.png

This was truly magical, I will never forget that amazing culmination of our nautical adventures <3

• Upvote 2

The moment I realised how much I was going to get sucked into playing Bloodborne. So around that big bonfire with the pitchfork wielding grotesques, which was basically right at the start. And that realisation was spot on because I fucking loved every second, right up to the end. DLC included.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Do you mean Baba is You? And have you played Return of the Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds? Seem games you would enjoy. :)

Yeah, but I was trying to describe a moment discreetly. Both of those are on my to get list, once I've finished trudging around the Witcher 3 and replayng Time Dilemma. And once Outer Wilds hits Switch.

17 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Picking up a cigar, smoking it then actually blowing 'smoke' out of my own mouth in that East End pub. There's been better VR games since but that was the moment.

I came to say this.

• Upvote 2

More than ever before, I think a lot of memorable moments in this gen have simple been views. Walking into a new area to be struck by the incredble scenery, and with that often having a photo mode to hand to capture the scene. I wasn't really sure I'd use the screen capture feature on the PS4 much, but I often find myself just stopping and looking around these days and then hitting share. Plenty of games worth mentioning in that respect, e.g. Dark Souls 3, A Plague Tale, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy VII Remake and The Last of Us 2.

Also the video capture mode has ended up being a big deal too. I can relive some of the best boss fights I've played any time I want now. That's pretty special.

Mine can be summed up by a single, simple yet horrifying sentence.

SCHEDULED REACTOR SCANS ARE UNVERIFIED

A simple line of text but one which provoked an reaction akin to the following image:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Breath of the Wild of course - the bit that sticks with me is touching down off the Great Plateau and being like, oh shit, you actually can go anywhere. The subsequent journey through the Duelling Peaks to Kakariko is seared into my mind. 

Maybe a dozen puzzles in the Witness, especially the coloured-light one in the village. 

Looking up a guide for Hollow Knight and realising I’d done the whole game in completely the “wrong” order.

The Kraken tableau in Obra Dinn.

• Upvote 2

As people rightfully say, this Gen has been chock full of whoa-ments. 

For me, getting an OLED and putting on the Shadow of the Colossus remake, which I’d already completed, but seeing it in this glorious eye searing HDR was just jaw dropping. From a regular PS4 too! 

Red Dead 2 is full of amazing you in nature moments, such an amazingly crafted landscape. 

Uncharted 4 for visual “I’m watching this thing but oh my fucking god I’m playing it now.” moments.

• Upvote 2

EDIT - Just realised this was last gen, fuck me. Still, it was re-released and remains my defining moment in games so I will keep this here if thats ok :D

Going back a long time here but Red Dead Redemption. At first I thought the final few hours where it drops down about 4 gears and lets you play several missions as John Marston living his best, normal, happy life was the greatest thing I had experienced in gaming. The way it kept going past the usual explosive gaming finale and tailed off with mundane tasks with your estranged wife and son was at first jarring but as it progresses utterly essential to what Rockstar wanted to achieve. That section plus the game as a whole was like nothing I had ever experienced and to this day is my benchmark for what a game should deliver.

But that isn't even the 'moment'. That 'moment' happens several hours later, when you take on the role of a grown up Jack Marston, who has just buried his mother and seemingly set to follow in his father's foot steps. So you play some missions and continue exploring the world until you find it. A reference to Edgar Ross and his cunt brother that murdered your father after torturing and using him. At that point I thought to myself 'surely not', they can't possibly have done this.... and roughly an hour later you are standing there, looking down at Edgar and cunt brother fishing on the bank of a river and you realise the last 40+ hours of gamplay have led to this moment. A moment that could easily have been missed by people upon finishing the game but a moment that is the most satisfying a game has and probably ever will give you. Up until that moment I had always favoured single accurate shots during quick draws, but I emptied my entire revolver into Edgar's saggy face. BOOM. Roll Credits!

Several games have hit similar notes with me throughout the years. Like Arkham Knight and that first Batmobile activation, several points in both Last of Us games and that moment in Titanfall 2 where BT says "Trust me". But nothing has hit the mark like that true ending of Red Dead Redemption :)

• Upvote 2

Peering round a corner in REVII VR and realising how much more gaming had in the tank. Revolutionary stuff.

• Upvote 2

The Vicar Amelia boss fight in Bloodborne.

I’d bounced off Demon Soul’s and Dark Souls, I didn’t get them. This game landed, and with great reservations decided to pick it up. I started fumbling my way through and when I got to this boss I was awed at how amazing she looked. I love fighting big monsters and this is what I had always imagined playing these games to be. 

It then became by goal to take this boss down.

Took me hours of practice but I eventually did it and I was so enthralled by the whole experience I actually uploaded it to YT (I don’t really upload to YT).

It was this fight that finally made souls click. I came out the other side this battle a changed player, and I never looked back.

After finishing this game I instantly went and played Dark Souls 2, then Dark Souls, then Demon’s Souls one after the other. Love the series now and I owe it all to this fight.

• Upvote 6