IGNORED

Sega Astro City Mini

Revival

I've had the Astro City Mini for just over a week now and I really love this little thing. The build quality is really solid, it's loud, it's bright (you can customize so don't worry) the choice of games is varied and stuff I haven't played a million times, and I like that the M30 2.4 Ghz controller works wireless with it, so I can hook this up to the monitor/tv with HDMI and play on the couch with a pad. That said, it's really comfortable to play as it is, I thought I would get uncomfortable but I played for a good hour with no fatigue. 

Unfortunately, I moved on the arcade stick as I found it flawed - the 2m cable just isn't long enough for couch play, and it didn't work on Street Fighter V like I was told - the buttons work, but the stick isn't detected. I just wouldn't get my money out of it so I got a little profit on ebay, which in turn made this unit about £65 all in. I'll keep looking for a PS3 Virtua Stick Hi Grade, as I have a brook P3>P4 converter I can use on it. 

eIRULEpbTGYZRmpno4Y7VZtnt7Pc6JZ0gNVeu8ky

Uiccr-6HNkVSjjJWAFOeAig4BKqUXbjyFzACaH0f

P9KzBO_ARgY8r9gR7E_fSvD2cfnT5tG4QfCrkHI7

14 minutes ago, marsh said:

What's the import duty on one of these? 20% of the value plus whatever number the dice lands on for the handling charge from parcelfarce?

They are an awesome little collectible, love mine.

I got mine direct from Amazon Japan, with the game pad, all import duties paid up front and it came to £130.00 at the time and got to me within 4 days.

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

You can 

Fuck. I'd talked myself out of it... I'd imagine my brook board powered arcade stick will work too... So this Amazon JP thing, looks like my normal Amazon account doesn't work... Is that normal? 

57 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Having an Amazon JP account could be really bad for my wallet ... Tower of power wasn't 'that' expensive....

Just get it done man! 

disclaimer: I haven’t got one. But I should probably get one. 

13 hours ago, watusi said:

Aye, do it, its only £95 and if you don't like it then you can probably sell on ebay without losing money

13 hours ago, geldra said:

Just get it done man! 

disclaimer: I haven’t got one. But I should probably get one. 

Well I'm now 95 pounds worse off ;) better than eBay though the cheapest is currently sitting at £100 + £9 p&p. I can see it being north of £140 by the end of the bidding... The usual FOMO creeping in, although I am an old school Sega fanboy so it's a fitting addition to my collection. Working with the Japanese MD mini pads was the tipping point though.

18 hours ago, Quexex said:

Having an Amazon JP account could be really bad for my wallet ... Tower of power wasn't 'that' expensive....

You can't actually buy the tower direct from Amazon JP, it's a 3rd party which is why it's higher than RRP. I've had it in my cart since Jan, doesn't look like it will be restocked :(

You can buy the Cyber Gadget Mega CD style HDMI switcher for about £25 (before shipping )which is a decent compromise. I keep meaning to print some stickers off to make it look more authentic.

1615466499792.jpg

Anyway I think the version of Space Harrier on here is easier than the original, I got way further than I did in Shenmue, Yakuza or on Sega Ages. I didn't realise just how fast the scrolling kicks up, stage 4 was insane !

On 17/12/2020 at 06:38, Darwock said:

There has been a dummy unit set up in a local Joshin for a month or two. Recently I got the urge to go up to it and had a wee fiddle. I hope it was just a visual mock-up with none of the actual components because the buttons and stick had zero response at all. Pushing down on the buttons I was expecting a clicky feel, but it was more like squeezing a damp cloth. The stick reminded me of an old Atari joystick in terms of response. Put me right off, so if the intention was to get sales it failed.

Kinda weird reading this back, seeing as the final retail version has a clicky stick and buttons. Looks like you experience another classic Sega fuck up (TM)

On 11/03/2021 at 12:11, Down by Law said:

You can't actually buy the tower direct from Amazon JP, it's a 3rd party which is why it's higher than RRP. I've had it in my cart since Jan, doesn't look like it will be restocked :(

You can buy the Cyber Gadget Mega CD style HDMI switcher for about £25 (before shipping )which is a decent compromise. I keep meaning to print some stickers off to make it look more authentic.

1615466499792.jpg

Anyway I think the version of Space Harrier on here is easier than the original, I got way further than I did in Shenmue, Yakuza or on Sega Ages. I didn't realise just how fast the scrolling kicks up, stage 4 was insane !

Is that an 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter? What controller do you use it with? I’m sure I tried it with my M30 but couldn’t get it to respond. 

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

That Book adaptor works a treat on these. I am using my MadCatz TE2 Killer Instinct Edition on it.

They are brilliant aren't they? With the P3>P4 Brook adapter I can use a Wireless Retrobit Sega Megadrive pad on the PS5 , playing Streets of Rage, Sonic Mania and Huntdown with it is just fantastic. 

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

Is that an 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter? What controller do you use it with? I’m sure I tried it with my M30 but couldn’t get it to respond. 

It's the dongle that's included with the M30 2.4Ghz USB Wireless Controller, designed for the Mega Drive Mini. The standard M30, with the bluetooth dongle won't work.

14 hours ago, Quexex said:

£95 for me. 

Will let you know if I get stung with a handling fee from DHL.

In other news, the one I was watching on eBay is now £155 Inc postage. The seller even says they bought it off Amazon JP. Guess those bidders don't have mukkers to help guide them ;)

It has arrived! What a lovely piece of kit, my favourite mini console by far. As mentioned no carrier fees or tax all paid upfront as advertised... So much stuff on Amazon JP I have access to now, really regretting not doing it earlier.

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

It has arrived! What a lovely piece of kit, my favourite mini console by far. As mentioned no carrier fees or tax all paid upfront as advertised... So much stuff on Amazon JP I have access to now, really regretting not doing it earlier.

Glad you're enjoying it. And yes, Amazon Japan is pretty solid. I've even had refunds back sometimes when the customs charge was too high.