Far Cry 6 - Island Fring

Harsin

On 12/10/2021 at 14:35, marsh said:

The 'it's a mixed bag' this is getting on here suggests as usual, it's never worth it's rrp. At £20 you'll not be too concerned about getting burned.

It’s not the price, though. Even at a fiver this game isn’t worth your time.  

Played about three hours, now off the first island (secret ending :lol:) and… I like it. Definitely more now than the first few missions where the computer-controlled allies kept getting in the way.

It’s none more Far Cry but that’s pretty much what I signed up for having enjoyed 4 and 5. Like those reckon I’ll get 50-60 hours out of it and that’ll do fine.

Keen to try the co-op if anyone’s on PS5. I generally play on mute, so don’t worry about making small talk innit.

I keep seeing this topic popping back to the top of the page and wondering what Island Fring means?

I know it’s Gus Fring as the main antagonist, but I don’t get why Island is before his name. Anyone?

5 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I think it's meant to be a pun on Highland Fling.

Oh right. Maybe they should have set it in Scotland then, so it makes sense!

While there's definitely fun to be had here, it's all so very rough: occasional bursts of competence and inspiration but mostly a decidedly half-hearted effort. And while there are some nice vistas etc., that roughness very much extends to some of the visuals too, especially a few early cutscenes like when Fring takes his son into that prison cell. I'd say they're middling PS4 graphics, and this is the PS5 version.

Tonight I played through the early mission that takes you off the first Island and it was just so poorly choreographed. The intention, it seems, was that you stealth your way around clearing out the two boats. I gamely made an attempt to do so but accidentally fired the wrong, unsilenced weapon practically straightaway. Now, I'm no more a fan of enforced stealth than the next guy, but it turned out that as soon as I initiated this firefight, my allies remembered that in fact they had a spare attack helicopter, with which they proceeded to wipe out every enemy without any further intervention from me at all. Once I realised that I was mainly just getting in the way of this process, I took a seat at the top of one of the crane things so I could watch the enemies on the other boat follow an endless juddering loop around the ladders and ziplines, presumably in the hope that this route would eventually lead up into the sky so that they could fight the helicopter, until they were in turn gunned down. The rebel leader, Clara, radioed me once this farce was concluded to let me know she'd be coming to pick me up, then literally 5 seconds later my player character came out with a very mournful 'where are you, Clara?' like it had been 5 hours and she was fearing abandonment. It was all very odd. As we sped away, Clara commented on how beautiful the carnage behind us looked, and I wondered if she'd played the new Ratchet & Clank yet.

I did have quite a good time rampaging around on a rickshaw just afterwards though.

I felt similar on that boat mission, although I did at least spend the time running about the place to look busy and shot a few folk. There's also a "We couldn't have done it without you" line at the end, which made me chuckle.

I was annoyed by it early on though, when I spent time scanning the ships from the lighthouse, highlighting all the soldiers and gun emplacements, then died not long after reaching the ships. The autosave put me back on the ship, but with none of the enemies scanned, because it doesn't actually save your state, just a position, and resets everything. After that I decided I may as well run around like an idiot until everything was dead, and it worked. So much for stealth.

Sums up a lot of the game. The ships themselves are a decent bit of level design, but if you try and take advantage of it, something will probably malfunction, and in the end it's less hassle to treat it like another shooting gallery.

9 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I was annoyed by it early on though, when I spent time scanning the ships from the lighthouse, highlighting all the soldiers and gun emplacements, then died not long after reaching the ships. The autosave put me back on the ship, but with none of the enemies scanned, because it doesn't actually save your state, just a position, and resets everything.

Yes, I did actually have that too, but my laundry list of complaints was probably long enough already! I think it encapsulates everything that's wrong with this game that a single main mission has so many different issues. It's all pretty far from a 'AAA' experience - it's not really buggy, like so many other releases, it's just shoddy. I'm mainly surprised that Ubisoft would allow this for one of their major franchises, but perhaps they've concluded that pumping them out more often at lower quality is the more profitable route.

What type of people wrote this game? The game makes an effort to shit on retail workers. The main characters shits on retail jobs and being a clerk. It reveals a lot about the people who wrote it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m enjoying this but can’t figure out how to clear the red zones. Seems random. 
Also I don’t understand the ranking system. There’s no skill tree so I assume it’s just tied to unlocks and therefore more chance of dealing with the higher ranked areas?

Just now, MattKB said:

I’m enjoying this but can’t figure out how to clear the red zones. Seems random. 
Also I don’t understand the ranking system. There’s no skill tree so I assume it’s just tied to unlocks and therefore more chance of dealing with the higher ranked areas?

I do t think you can clear some of the red zones. Bases and checkpoints, yes, but the others remain (unless I’m missing something). 

Im not sure about your levels either, like you say I think you just get better kit, mods etc to power yourself up. 

Im still enjoying it too, although it’s very unstable on PC so hoping for some kind of patch soon. 

This is amazing - I mean I was enjoying it plenty solo but played it co-op yesterday and it's basically Rambo 🤣 You can just wire right into the bases all guns blazing and go on a murder rampage. Cannot recommend enough it's a whole other game.

I’ve fallen into a decent rhythm with this. It feels more like 4 than 5 to me. I didn’t mind either but 4 felt more consistently enjoyable and this is more of the same. Feel once it settles down from excitedly overwhelming you with all the mechanics (most of which you’ll know if you played the previous games) it’s a pretty fun, undemanding open world romp.

Sneaking into an enemy base intent on stealth but prepared for chaos is still enjoyable. Go here, do that, you know the drill. Haven’t found too many bugs or major issues.

Would I recommend anyone pays full price for it? Probably not but it was already under £50 on Simply at release, so expect it’ll be close to half that soon anyway.

Helicopters are utter pricks though.

Spoiler

Until you remember you can EMP them.

3 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

This is amazing - I mean I was enjoying it plenty solo but played it co-op yesterday and it's basically Rambo 🤣 You can just wire right into the bases all guns blazing and go on a murder rampage. Cannot recommend enough it's a whole other game.

Have you tried the Special Ops in co-op? Probably the highlight for me as they require at least a little team-work and tactics.

One of the few times in the game I wasn't bored.

Despite all my earlier complaints, I'm still playing it. I wouldn't retract anything I said previously but it does markedly improve after the inexplicably poor opening. It feels like they threw that area in as an intro late on and didn't have time to polish it up. For example, I mentioned that the first buddy you get - the 'gator on the box - is just immediately given to you in one of the first missions, without any fanfare whatsoever, and then the third one I found, several hours later, is revealed with a trio of (intentionally) hilarious missions and is by far the best one yet. I don't really understand why they'd settle for such a throwaway approach to introducing the whole feature and then put so much more effort into the later one - especially when, given the scale of the game and non-linear structure, it will probably never be unlocked by at least half their players.

Once you get into the enormous main play area, it's all very much standard Far Cry from 3 onwards. Naturally, every attempt at conveying the Serious Business of the plot in cutscenes falls utterly flat, being interspersed as usual with slapstick warfare and comedy sidekicks, but they're all mercifully skippable and don't intrude on the gameplay in the way that the forced story sections in 5 did. I haven't found the capital city area much fun so far, because it's a pain to navigate compared to everywhere else, but outside that it's pleasingly free-form and full of little bits of unique content. I suppose the checkpoints and anti-aircraft stations are the usual cut-and-paste affairs but lots of the other side missions - the bases and treasure hunts - are pretty bespoke and the hunts in particular are usually interesting. It's also nice that you discover these things slightly more organically, either by simply stumbling into them or revealing another one or two targets by talking to an informant - much preferable to yet another swarm of icons covering the map every time you climb a watch tower.

They've gone absolutely all-out on the auxiliary features and customisations. I can't imagine many players will even look at more than a quarter of them - yay, 100 collectable 'weapon charms', lifted shamelessly from CoD Warzone - but it's certainly fun blasting into a checkpoint in your customised Hummer thing and launching a jeep 15 feet into the air with the comically powerful battering ram upgrade. Any sane game director would have scrapped quite a bit of this - the base building, the even more boring version of Kenway's Fleet from Assassin's Creed 4 - but, again, at least none of these less interesting aspects are forced upon you. The only one that definitely should have been cut, or rethought, is the ammo types, though I've found that a combination of armour-piercing and headshots means that I can just ignore that too. I would also say that I don't know what kind of designer mandates an awkward third person perspective while I'm passing through one of my neglected bases but then doesn't allow it for driving vehicles.

It's definitely worth some time if you've enjoyed any past entries in the series, but I wouldn't exactly rush to pick it up at full price or if you have something more original to play first.

I enjoyed it but found myself just rushing the main missions after 30 hours.

Didn't help a major treasure quest bugged out on me and couldn't be completed. Once that happened I  couldn't care less and just wanted to finish the main missions. 

All the guns and armour were meaningless to me. I used the same guns and armour set for pretty much the entire game. Armour piercing bullets are the only way to go. Just go for headshots and you are fine. No way was I swapping out bullet types. 

I had fun with the gameplay but like all ubisoft games the writing and characters were designed by a 13 year old it seems. 

One thing they need to bring back from FC2 (apart from everything) is searching for diamonds to upgrade/get new weps.

Because of the effort you had to put in it to find them it made every upgrade choice a real dilemma, and that was a great touch.

They've vaguely got that with the depleted uranium to make the improvised guerrilla weapons and treasure hunts to find some of the other unique models but none of it's very challenging and whatever you buy/find just disappears into your pool of (probably by the end literally) 100 weapons and it's not hugely interesting. I suppose there's a bit of a tension between the expectation from much of their audience that there's plenty of weapons and upgrades to choose from and trying to make any of it meaningful to obtain, but it would absolutely benefit from a less-is-more approach to some of it. Like Ry, I have largely found a set of weapons I like and stuck with them.

I've not played much so far but the weapons are just not that satisfying. And health bars wtf. I hate shooters with health bars on enemies. Why? 

Having the croc available at any time takes away my number one favourite thing of shooting open the cages or throwing some meat into a base.

Good to hear that some have enjoyed it but I’m also pleased at the news that sales figures on this are way down from Far Cry 5. As we all know that’s the only thing that might make Ubisoft step back and reassess the formula in a more considered manner - as opposed to just chucking in a load of shit nobody asked for to try and keep things ‘fresh.’ 

3 hours ago, mexos said:

I've not played much so far but the weapons are just not that satisfying. And health bars wtf. I hate shooters with health bars on enemies. Why? 

Having the croc available at any time takes away my number one favourite thing of shooting open the cages or throwing some meat into a base.

You can turn the health bars off and you can send the gator away and still find cages to shoot. You can't however throw meat into a base and the wildlife just isn't very prominent in this like it is in 4. I'm still pretty much headshotting everything I come across with my silenced assault rifle and when things get hairy pull out the grenade launcher. The AI is so unbelievably dumb the stealth is a joke. I'm still playing it though just not for longer than 30-60 minutes. I really need a decent new game!

The wildlife is sometimes practically non existent in my wanderings. Realistically so, I suppose, because not many animals are going to hang around in view while I'm smashing through the jungle on a quad bike, but it does seem like they've dialled it back rather too far since the last outing, in both quantity and variety. I'm not very interested in doing the specific hunting or fishing missions, and I presume I'd encounter plenty there, but I've run into more enemy attack dogs than anything else in general play. Perhaps my aggressive cock is scaring them all off?

In fact, what they seem to have done is to move almost all of the random wildlife encounters into the water. If I dare to venture into the water then, without fail, I'll be set upon within about a minute, and this is quite irritating when they don't seem to really give you the tools to fight there properly.

On 27/10/2021 at 09:52, hmm said:

The only one that definitely should have been cut, or rethought, is the ammo types, though I've found that a combination of armour-piercing and headshots means that I can just ignore that too.

Do you mean using armour piercing and always going for headshots, or is there some sort of headshots perk I need to enable? I sniped a guy 5 times in the head last night before he went down. And I then switched off the game. 

I found the problem was that armour piercing was really effective on about 90% of the enemies, then suddenly there would be a shotgun guy who's resistant to it and you're trying to swap guns while he's blasting away at you.

There's not enough variation to make it actually worth paying attention to the info you get from scanning and thinking tactically, just enough to make it fiddly and annoying.

@mexos- I've hardly found anyone that won't go down with a single armour piercing headshot, even the spec ops soldados. The only exception has been one or two mini boss characters in particular missions. I've no idea what's going on if people are finding otherwise with regular grunts - bugs maybe? Or perhaps you need the higher ranked weapons for some of the enemies; mine have all been 3*/4* since early on, fitted with the increased damage from aimed shots where applicable. I don't really remember finding headshots ineffective at any point even before that though.

I haven't explored the weaponry all that thoroughly, because there's an absolutely ridiculous number of them, but my current set of helmet-busters includes: Desert Eagle, M16L semi-auto rifle, Eastern Front sniper, recurve bow.

I have to say it's all pretty unchallenging for the most part. The enemies are comically slow to react and will typically stop still as soon as you fire at them and miss, so a headshot at the second attempt is always easier. Helicopters and tanks go down immediately if you have a charged supremo, and there's a mod so that headshots rapidly top that back up. You do die pretty quickly out in the open with multiple enemies firing at you but, you know, don't do that. Now that I've got a semi-effective (and fully psychotic) amigo too, there have been very few tricky encounters. It could do with at least one more difficulty level - it must be an absolute breeze on PC.