rllmuk

Which Sony handheld is the 'best' on-the-go emulation device?

I'm in the market for a sexy looking handheld that I can use for a plethora of emulated retro goodness (mostly GBA, though) and I'm eyeing the PSP Go and the Vita.

The Vita's obviously more powerful and has a better screen, but I've never owned a PSP Go and I love the tininess of the thing. Plus the slidable screen is just amazing, early-noughties gimmickiness.

Tip and recommendations, pls.

Hm, that's a shame, but I do hear wildly different opinions on that. Some people even claim that the Go's d-pad is their favourite!

What about just its merits as a portable emulation machine? Is the Vita much better in that regards, or doesn't it matter that much?

The Go is a beautiful machine with the most horrible controls. I'd avoid it. I bought one and modded it, stuck a load of games on and then never used it. The controls are just horrible.

The standard psp is better.  But that said, the Vita now has Adrenaline, an amazing , perfect psp emulator.  Also the  Vita MK1 Oled screen is gorgeous.  So with vita you get the best of all worlds. 

Dunno if it was just my PSP 1000 but the screen had some awful ghosting. I think they fixed it mind. Another shout for the Vita, Adrenaline works perfectly and you can even OC the PSP emulation and have games like Outrun 2006 C2C play at a better frame rate.

Love my Vita, even though I own a hacked Switch my Vita is going nowhere. Has some fabulous native games to boot.

On 12/07/2020 at 08:11, dumpster said:

The Go is a beautiful machine with the most horrible controls.

May my small, feminine hands mitigate this issue?

On 12/07/2020 at 08:11, dumpster said:

That said, the Vita now has Adrenaline, an amazing, perfect psp emulator.  Also the Vita MK1 Oled screen is gorgeous.  So with vita you get the best of all worlds. 

Fantastic, thank you!

How does it fare as a GBA emulator?

On 13/07/2020 at 03:54, Ozzy Womandias said:

Might my small, feminine hands mitigate this issue

How does it fare as a GBA emulator?

PSP emulates GBA perfectly. Forget about hand size because the PSP Go d-pad is just horrible. It is flat, with the d-pad raised barely 2mm higher than the surface. It is uncomfortable. The analogue pad is in an odd place.   It really ruins what is otherwise a nice piece of kit. Obviously designed to be small and sleek and shiny and posh without anyone having tried to play a game on it.

Worth knowing: the processors in the Vita and PSP are very different, so both consoles  have pros and cons when it comes to emulation.  Vita may have the better SNES emulator, but the PSP has the better GBA emulator. That's counter intuitive  but the PSP hardware is just more suited to emulation of the similar GBA hardware.

The Vita has a better screen, nicer controls and has the actual PSP chipset in it as well, so Vita can do PSP and PS1 perfectly.  Also you can make bubbles on your Vita Homescreen for PSP applications so you can launch them with one tap and no messing about.

So for GBA emulation I recommend PS Vita running the PSP version of mGBA giving you the best of all worlds.  

• Upvote 1

The Vita can run a PSP as an app, so it can do everything the PSP can do (literally) and everything a Vita can do.

Also the maxiumum card size on a PSP is 32gb, and that's over 2 16gb cards. A Vita can take much much bigger capacity SD cards.

I should have also mentioned that if you get a Vita you must mod it.  If you do the SD2Vita mod you can use reliable micro SD cards instead of the proprietary Sony lower capacity   unreliable, expensive cards.  See the thread in retro, it's very easy to do the mod and the SD card adaptors are £2 on eBay.

• Upvote 2

Vita can emulate PSP?!

OK, now I'm tempted, even though I own 2 modded PSP system (the fat model, and the first slim model, both lovely).

What is the going rate? I only found one in the sales forum from June.

I'm also lazy, so I'm hoping to buy it pre-modded, maybe with the SD card adapter thingy, all ready to roll. But if not, is it easy to set up? CFW on the PSP, until the final revision, was a right pain the arse. I had to patch some PSP games inside the system before they'd run properly, and different games needed different patches because different CFW worked differently. Nightmare. Absolute nightmare.

---

Also, what is the name of the GBA emulator for PSP, and latest revision number? Is it UO gрSP Kai ?? GBA4PSP? Or another? Because Google is bringing up conflicting results. I just need a name and can find it from there.

I used to emulate play GBA on NDS, via DS flashcart and one of the 3-1 in GBA adapters for the bottom slot. But then my battery died and I had to resolder a new one in. And it worked, but only slightly. I put too much solder in so now the case is warped and doesn't want to fit nicely in the DS slot. Thinking of packing it all in and just emulating on PSP.

58 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I used to emulate GBA on NDS, via DS flashcart and one of the 3-1 in GBA adapters for the bottom slot. But then my battery died and I had to resolder a new one in. And it worked, but only slightly. I put too much solder in so now the case is warped and doesn't want to fit nicely in the DS slot. Thinking of packing it all in and just emulating on PSP.

That wasn't GBA emulation - it was native back-compatibility. All 3DS models have this too (in a different form), so if playing GBA is the absolute priority I personally wouldn't go the Sony handheld route. Obviously, being the real deal you won't get emulation features like cheats or save states though.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Vita can emulate PSP?!

OK, now I'm tempted, even though I own 2 modded PSP system (the fat model, and the first slim model, both lovely).

What is the going rate? I only found one in the sales forum from June.

I'm also lazy, so I'm hoping to buy it pre-modded, maybe with the SD card adapter thingy, all ready to roll. But if not, is it easy to set up? CFW on the PSP, until the final revision, was a right pain the arse. I had to patch some PSP games inside the system before they'd run properly, and different games needed different patches because different CFW worked differently. Nightmare. Absolute nightmare.

To clarify: Vita does not emulate the PSP, it contains a full PSP core in hardware. Adrenaline is merely there to provide the PSP xmb environment. 

modding the vita is easier than a PSP. The annoyances come with setting up the memory card redirects to the sdvita adapter but I sold my vita a while back so it might be simpler now. 

• Upvote 3

Sorry, yes, obvs the DS/GBA thing was the natural bc the system had - Freudian slip as they say!

Did the setting up of the Vita card adapter require physical modification (ie: soldering), or was this all done in software?

I have a ton of PSP games on my systems, but if you can play PSP flawlessly on Vita, I reckon an OLED model is the way to go, and then just play my PSP games on there, along with actual real Vita games.

It’s all done via software. I’ll have to check tomorrow but I may have 1 last vita and can do it all for you if you’re interested. Also have SD2Vita cards available.

Pop me a PM if interested

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

To clarify: Vita does not emulate the PSP, it contains a full PSP core in hardware.

Woah, sick! 

OK, sod it: I'm getting both a Go (to satisfy my gadget lust) and another Vita (for modding purposes).

Yeah the Vita (assuming old enough firmware, which is virtually all of them now) is a fairly quick softmod job.

The only hardware is that cheap SD card adapter and if you still have a functioning sony memstick you don't technically even need that.

• Upvote 1

I have a broken one - it's a phat OLED model in near perfect condition, except the screen doesn't work! crack just visible.

Bloody shame as digitiser and the actual console still works, because you can hear it... not sure how useful that is to anybody <_<

The vita emulation thread in retro links to a guide, if you can copy files, use ftp, unzip things etc (just usual file management) then it's really easy.  I did my PSTV from scratch a couple of weeks ago and following the whole guide took about 20 minutes.

On 13/07/2020 at 22:13, Ozzy Womandias said:

Woah, sick! 

OK, sod it: I'm getting both a Go (to satisfy my gadget lust) and another Vita (for modding purposes).

Don’t do it man. Agree it is a great piece of design but apparently (so I heard down the pub) it was actually designed for a strange alien race who stood at 4ft tall (and so had smaller hands) but they never turned up so it then became for sale to humans. 

No human ever has managed to play it comfortably. 

So... Did we ever ascertain the name and version number of the best GBA emulator for the PSP?

I am currently keyboard jockying two rigs and two monitors at the same time, plus my PSP, to get this set-up. I just need names and recommendations.

5 minutes ago, Sketch said:

So... Did we ever ascertain the name and version number of the best GBA emulator for the PSP?

I am currently keyboard jockying two rigs and two monitors at the same time, plus my PSP, to get this set-up. I just need names and recommendations.

"I need your boots, your jacket and that GBA emulator"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, merman said:

"I need your boots, your jacket and that GBA emulator"

You're a funny guy, Merman. That's why I'm going to quote you last.

• Upvote 6

Don't know about "best" but I like Mgba as it uses square to load a save state and triangle to save, so it's easy to cheat your way through.  Or use Retroarch and experiment with the different cores.  But from memory, GBA emulation was better on PSP, so use the PSP GBA emulators on your Vita. 

On 12/07/2020 at 09:20, Ozzy Womandias said:

Hm, that's a shame, but I do hear wildly different opinions on that. Some people even claim that the Go's d-pad is their favourite!

I shouldn’t have said d-pad, the slidey thing was in lieu of an analogue stick. The d-pad itself is/was no problem as far as I recall. Then again, it probably was or I wouldn’t have persisted in trying to use the slider.

Please see these very close up photos of the PSP Go. See how the D-Pad and the buttons are barely higher than the back plate.  Theres barely any movement to it at all. I hate it so much.

IMG_20200718_155533__01.jpg

IMG_20200718_155429__01.jpg