IGNORED

Fall Guys

Lying Cat

I feel like they squandered a little of their momentum not getting this onto Xbox and Switch last year. I loved it on PC but settled on wanting to play more flexibly on the sofa and ideally with my switch owning friends. So I stopped. And 1.5 years later (about 6 months late so far) it’s still not appeared.

Wonder what held them up. Pandemic maybe.

Hopefully we see a surprise announcement and it ships soon, not another it’ll be here in the summer or autumn style delay.

I think they had a 12 mo deal with Sony???  Also been patiently waiting for it on xbox as it looks like a good laugh and I could see the kids and their classmates loving it.  They still play gang beasts every day and don't seem to tire of it. 

30 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I think they had a 12 mo deal with Sony???  Also been patiently waiting for it on xbox as it looks like a good laugh and I could see the kids and their classmates loving it.  They still play gang beasts every day and don't seem to tire of it. 

They did. And that presumably expired last August/September. They'd said it was coming to Switch/Xbox in "summer 2021" and then just delayed it indefinitely.

I mean maybe they're still making good money from having it on the two platforms and therefore the incentive isn't there. Guess I'm just frustrated that something I did enjoy a lot isn't really available to me in the format I think I'd get the most use from it in.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 09/04/2022 at 13:13, SeanR said:

The current PS4 install is being retired at the end of the current season (6).

The new launcher is already in the store to download though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sort of surprised it hadn't already gone free to play. Wonder how much it will increase player numbers. Are there lots of people who haven't tried it because of the cost? Feels like the perfect time to also be launching it on Switch and Xbox.

• 1 month later...

Out tomorrow on all platforms. Looking forward to revisiting this. I played a fair amount on PC during its initial release but think it'll work better for me having it on Xbox where I can play from sofa or bed and Switch where I can play anywhere. With cross play and linked accounts it feels like this is the form it really should have been in day one.

Had a quick game on Switch.

Very busy menu UI now with all the stuff going on versus when it first came out. Most has probably been true for a while with the seasons and passes but I guess you just ignore most of it and play.

Made it to the final round easily enough (I'm guessing a lot of first timers given the shit show that was the first course).

Performance is not great. When actually playing the Switch seems okay but at the start of levels and a few other occasions it's got some very ropey framerates. Nice to be able to play handheld but I suspect I'll mostly go with Xbox where I can.

11 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Had a quick game on Switch.

Very busy menu UI now with all the stuff going on versus when it first came out. Most has probably been true for a while with the seasons and passes but I guess you just ignore most of it and play.

Made it to the final round easily enough (I'm guessing a lot of first timers given the shit show that was the first course).

Performance is not great. When actually playing the Switch seems okay but at the start of levels and a few other occasions it's got some very ropey framerates. Nice to be able to play handheld but I suspect I'll mostly go with Xbox where I can.

Yeah, i think i'll just play it on the PC but it's nice to have the ability to play on the Switch when i want though with the cross progression.

I haven't played it for ages, hoping they added a few different final rounds now.

Is it easy to switch between platforms? I can certainly see myself playing this handheld on Switch while my girlfriend plays it on the TV, but then switching to PS5 from time to time when convenient. Actually, I have more hard drive space on the Xbox as I also have an external drive for older games, so maybe I'll free up some precious PS5 hard drive!

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Is it easy to switch between platforms? I can certainly see myself playing this handheld on Switch while my girlfriend plays it on the TV, but then switching to PS5 from time to time when convenient. Actually, I have more hard drive space on the Xbox as I also have an external drive for older games, so maybe I'll free up some precious PS5 hard drive!

Is Fall Guys Cross-Platform?

Fall Guys will be cross-platform very soon, and this will include crossplay and cross-progression between PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and the Nintendo Switch. But when is Fall Guys going to become cross platform? The answer to that is Tuesday, June 21st. That’s when the Season 6 update is going to drop, and with it, the ability to play the game on any machine and bring all your progress along with you. However, according to the official announcement, there is one big asterisk – you are going to need an Epic Games Account.

That doesn’t mean that you need to own the game on the Epic Games Store. Sure, it’s now an exclusive there, but if you own it on Steam, you can still play it normally. However, if you want to use the benefits of the crossplay and especially cross-progression, you will have to make an Epic Games Account and link it to Fall Guys on your platform of choice. When it comes to Fall Guys cross-platform features, that’s the only way you’ll be able to use them. The profile on the first platform you link the accounts on will become your primary profile.

Another very important caveat is that “any Fame Path level progress, Crowns, Shards or Kudos will be carried over from your primary profile only.” So, if you’ve messed up and made the wrong profile your primary, you will have to contact support. Make sure to read the official FAQ, too, just in case.

Sounds it - but make sure you link the accounts properly.

37 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Yes. It's Epic account linking.

I linked my old game account to Epic last week.

Then I logged into switch and it already knew who I was and had my stuff (I must have already linked it for some reason in the past) and I had my name, stuff and crowns in place.

Yes, logged into the Switch and all my progress was there magically.

It runs pretty jankily though. I can't see me playing it much on here.

4 minutes ago, Xevious said:

Yes, logged into the Switch and all my progress was there magically.

It runs pretty jankily though. I can't see me playing it much on here.

And this is where I think the Switch is starting to struggle. It's all fair and good for Nintendo's own content, but stuff like this, fortnite, dbd and rocket league really are showing the weaknesses of the Switch 😔

3 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

And this is where I think the Switch is starting to struggle. It's all fair and good for Nintendo's own content, but stuff like this, fortnite, dbd and rocket league really are struggling on the Switch 😔

Indeed.

I think the issue is this stuff being generic engines and cross platform rather than dedicated Switch games/engines which are likely to be more carefully tuned. Many devs just seem to be rebuilding for Switch and looking for "passable" and moving on.

It's a shame because on the face of it this isn't an elaborate looking game. The styling feels like it shouldn't be all that taxing. But maybe the number of players and related calculation on top of the reasonably simple world (but a fair amount of physics).

3 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Indeed.

I think the issue is this stuff being generic engines and cross platform rather than dedicated Switch games/engines which are likely to be more carefully tuned. Many devs just seem to be rebuilding for Switch and looking for "passable" and moving on.

It's a shame because on the face of it this isn't an elaborate looking game. The styling feels like it shouldn't be all that taxing. But maybe the number of players and related calculation on top of the reasonably simple world (but a fair amount of physics).

That's exactly it. Having that many players on screen at once is a massive strain on the CPU. Draw distance being another. 

I haven't played Fall Guys yet but I recently played Fortnite on Switch at my partner's house after getting used to playing it on my PS5 and it was just awful. Blurry, terrible frame-rate, nearly impossible to aim, could barely see anything at night. I can normally hold my own pretty well but I was ending matches with 0 kills and barely any player damage. It felt like playing on Switch was the most enormous handicap. 

I can't imagine ever playing any of these cross-play online games on Switch unless pretty much forced to. Between the frame rate and the blurrier picture you really are at a massive disadvantage.

I'd probably want a Switch only lobby for that.

And that reminds me it does seem to show people's platform when spectating at the end. I say people with a PC next to their name, and another with a controller. Not sure why really.

Just now, thesnwmn said:

I'd probably want a Switch only lobby for that.

And that reminds me it does seem to show people's platform when spectating at the end. I say people with a PC next to their name, and another with a controller. Not sure why really.

I don't think any cross platform game has ever had the logo next to it. It either means they're playing with a pad on PC or they're on PS/Xbox.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

I don't think any cross platform game has ever had the logo next to it. It either means they're playing with a pad on PC or they're on PS/Xbox.

Oh I realise that. I more mean what use is it here? Like why does it matter if someone is PC vs console?

I understand in a shooter or similar where controller vs mouse/kb is an interesting comparison (although probably stirs the pot a bit).