TeknoParrot and Arcade Loaders for PC

I'm blown away by how well Sega Rally 3 plays on a Xbox One controller. As with Outrun 2, these are games that were created specifically to work in an arcade cabinet with a wheel and gear lever.  How on earth can it be that they play so well on a control pad?  

It's not all perfect controls though.  Rambo loses all its appeal played with a mouse, as it just becomes a game where you click on people.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I'm blown away by how well Sega Rally 3 plays on a Xbox One controller. As with Outrun 2, these are games that were created specifically to work in an arcade cabinet with a wheel and gear lever.  How on earth can it be that they play so well on a control pad?  

It's not all perfect controls though.  Rambo loses all its appeal played with a mouse, as it just becomes a game where you click on people.

Sega Rally 3 was released (almost) alongside Sega Rally Revo on 360/PS3/PSP/PC and was largely forgotten about. I thought it was great back when it was released.

Also, regarding the lightgun games that are playable on TP:

https://www.sindenlightgun.com/

edit - Outrun 2 plays much better on a controller if you enable and play with the stoozone setting in the TP settings (hamburger menu).

• Upvote 1

Finally got Mario Kart DX to work. Seems I was missing two DLLs and not giving the game long enough to boot for the first time. Plays great. 

Also got Too Spicy to work, which is just bizarre, and Puyo Puyo Arcade Quest, which is just about playable despite the masses of Japanese text.

That just leaves Daytona 3 as the only one I've not been able to get going. 

Edit: Just grabbed Racedriver: Grid, which looks and plays amazing, if a little twitchy. 

2 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

SW Battlepod is absolutely glorious with a HOTAS stick.

I struggled with this, what's the executable? I can load up RSlauncher but I get a siren and error message that says the projector isn't connected.

Loving Sega Race TV now, I take back my previous comments that it's a silly game - it's great fun.  The japanese commentary is brilliant.

Can't get a few games to work now I have spent some time on the ones I wanted.  I think my virus proection has excluded some files when I unzipped them, because I didn't have a Vaccum.exe file for Luigi's Mansion.  I dragged the zip from the recycle bin, made a folder that was excluded from the virus protection and unzipped it again and it works now.

Outrun fans, any advice for running it fullscreen (not windowed) on a desktop resolution that is 4k? When I hit full screen it goes to the bottom left and is cut off, if I leave it in windowed mode it works and looks great. Tried a resolution fix I found online but setting it to 1080, 1440, or 4k gives the same results. Shame my version has some gangsta rap audio.

3 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Outrun fans, any advice for running it fullscreen (not windowed) on a desktop resolution that is 4k? When I hit full screen it goes to the bottom left and is cut off, if I leave it in windowed mode it works and looks great. Tried a resolution fix I found online but setting it to 1080, 1440, or 4k gives the same results. Shame my version has some gangsta rap audio.

You need to right click the executable outrun file, (Jennifer I think?) And go to properties, and it's one of the scaling options in there you need to tick, the one at the bottom. Sorry I'm not at my pc to double check. But one of those tick boxes fixed it for me 

• Upvote 1

Under Defeat HD+ looks amazing, plays really nicely as well. 

Dirty Drivin' is practically an arcade racing game stripped to nothing - there isn't even a brake control! It's basically drive forward, collect weapon, use weapon, driver, collect weapon etc. Looks wise it's not bad, and it moves fast, but there's nothing to it all. 

Needing help now.  Can't find the appropriate executable file for Star Wars BattlePod.  But there's a file called RSLauncher . I can load that (not using teknoparrot at all) and it runs but I get error messages saying the projector is broken.  

Also I have games from a Teknoparrot site , in the Teknoparrot section, but Teknoparrot doesn't seem to support them and I'm now getting conflicting info.  Has anyone here played Crazy Speed and if so, which emulator did you use?

Seems the best resources for information are all in French and you have to sign up for links etc.

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Dirty Drivin' is practically an arcade racing game stripped to nothing - there isn't even a brake control! It's basically drive forward, collect weapon, use weapon, driver, collect weapon etc. Looks wise it's not bad, and it moves fast, but there's nothing to it all. 

What is the start file for this one please?

I was actually going to make a list of the start files last night but the first five or six I did all seemed obvious (game.exe) etc. so I left it.

For Dirty Drivin' - 

image.png

I joined Emuline to get a few - and for patches. Using Google to auto-translate the page worked pretty well. This is the version of Star Wars I have. I think the dome fix is built in and it doesn't give me any errors when it loads.

image.png

I can't say I've ever heard of Crazy Speed. I only look for items in the Teknoparrot add-games list thing. Looking around, some games work natively on the PC without any kind of front end, but I've not tried any of them. There was a site I found with stuff like Silent Hill and Half Life arcade games on it, never seen those before.

I think I'm about done with the ones I want now. The beat'em ups don't really interest me, and I'm not bothered by Initial D. 

The only two I've now got issues with are Daytona 3 (to be fair, not looked at that since the weekend) and Tetris Grand Master 3 - this runs fine but I can't get any controls to work. Only had a quick look at that though. I've got a feeling with Daytona, it needs patching and installing on the C:. 

Cheers for that everyone . I think the Windows defender security is removing files, going to keep trying..

I can start Dirty Driving clicking on the exe file but it hangs on the config screen.  If I use teknoparrot loader it doesn't even do the config screen so no clue what's going wrong there.   Same with Star Wars, doesn't start from the loader but clicking the RSLoader file makes it start with the no projector connected message.  Will subscribe to emuline and brush up on me French.

Edit: Crazy Speed required me to click firewall access then restart and it worked fine . The exe is hidden away and called Client_r , as if I could have worked that out on my own!

Anyone tried Batman? Pretty simplistic game, I guess most of the fun involves sitting in the huge cabinet with the volume up at 11. I like how you get to chose which model of Batmobile you use though!

9 hours ago, Goose said:

The only two I've now got issues with are Daytona 3 (to be fair, not looked at that since the weekend) and Tetris Grand Master 3 - this runs fine but I can't get any controls to work. Only had a quick look at that though. I've got a feeling with Daytona, it needs patching and installing on the C:. 

You only need to install Daytona 3 to the root of the C: drive if you’re running it standalone (without Teknoparrot). When I originally downloaded Daytona 3 I was doing this as I hadn’t heard of Teknoparrot. 

If you’re using Teknoparrot, you can have it stored anywhere and tell the emulator where the file is just like any other compatible game.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that StoooTube, I'll give it another go tonight. I quite liked Batman, gave it a go last night. I've played the arcade at a Timezone here. It's simple but fun for ten minutes. 

Dumpster - I found the same when I first started using Teknoparrot - half the exe files would be deleted by my virus killer. I ended up making a folder, setting an exception, then only unpacking the files in that folder. So far, that seems to have worked.

• Upvote 1
On 05/08/2020 at 13:24, Mr Majestyk said:

Thanks to the forum I now have Outrun in 4k, fullscreen, correct audio and running smoothly :) One very happy Mr Majestyk.

Could you tell me the fix for 4k please - mine just sits in the corner of the screen.

Find budgieloader.exe right click and properties, then select compatibility, change high DPI settings, and tick Override high DPI behaviour, scaling performed by application. You may need the scaling fix to set the res to 3840x2160.

6 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Find budgieloader.exe right click and properties, then select compatibility, change high DPI settings, and tick Override high DPI behaviour, scaling performed by application. You may need the scaling fix to set the res to 3840x2160.

Perfect thank you! already got the scalling patch so suspect this will be the issue. 

8 hours ago, Goose said:

Can you add Taito X1 to Teknoparrot? I've found a couple of roms on an old HDD (Haunted Museum 1 + 2). 

The taito ones I tried all ran from an exe without the  need for TP, but I struggled to configure the controls. The roms I have downloaded seem to fall into two categories, they either are specifically ROMs for teknoparrot, or they have a batch file or exe that makes them run on their own with an arcade loader that's been included in the files because it's so small. 

But I am struggling to understand exactly what the requirements are here. When you load technoparrot and choose a game you can see in the window but it's actually running into something called techno budgie or steam child and I'm not sure how all these emulators  hang together.

• Upvote 1

Yes, going through some last night they just ran fine from the exe but as you say, controls can then be a bit hit and miss. I think with TP, the front end links to the specific launcher needed for the specific system you're emulating. It's a funny emulator and certainly far from the almost plug and play nature of others (or at least the ability to set things up once and be able to play a group of games off one setting). 

As a side note, I was going through this lightgun pack I have, looking for TP games to save trying to find them, and I stumbled across something called Blue Estate. It's a PC game very much in the vein of House of the Dead: Overkill, in terms of graphic language and such. It looks incredible and plays really well. I've added it to my Steam wishlist because I really liked it, but the version I have has a few glitches. 

It's been an interesting experience with TP, trying to get games to work, (hell, trying to find games in the first place). I've had to brush up on translation because it seems to veer heavily toward the French language. It's also one of the most unusual emulators in that (and I absolutely appreciate how dodgy this sounds) it's hard to find a complete rom set out there or good setup guides. There's also the fear of trying to get the games working, but at the same time stopping your virus killer from deleting things, and wondering if it's actually just trying to save you from an actual virus. There's a hell of a lot of exe files to run. 

It's odd how the arcade experience can change too. The emulator runs some complex fighting games, and some gorgeous driving games, but at the same time there's things like Dirty Drivin' and H2Overdrive which really are empty experiences - and while they are arcade games, they feel quite some distance away from the games of old. My thanks to you Dumpster, and others in thread for inspiring me to give this another chance, it's been great fun. 

• Upvote 1

Is anyone using this with a wheel - particularly for Outrun 2 / SEGA Race TV? Tempted to pick up a cheapish one so interested whether they work well and are easy to configure.

I imagine this will play almost any of the games it supports. All of these games ran on standard pc hardware so allowing for a bit of headroom as long as your machine is a better spec than the arcade machine itself then it should be fine. 

• Upvote 1