More like a passion project. It took him 9 years to write the thing (music and lyrics). Here he is performing Alexander Hamilton (the opening song of the show) at the White House in 2009 (six years before it opened on Broadway).

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, ckny said:

More like a passion project. It took him 9 years to write the thing (music and lyrics). Here he is performing Alexander Hamilton (the opening song of the show) at the White House in 2009 (six years before it opened on Broadway).

Yeah he's clearly amazing, but he picked the wrong leading man for his masterpiece. 

26 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'm surprised so many people didn't like Miranda's performance. I thought he was really impressive. :unsure:

Me too. I can see where his weaknesses are, especially when compared to the others who are all better singers but I still really loved his pereformace overall. There's a few times where his "sad singing" does grate a little but I'm ok with it on the whole.

This is one of the reasons I want to go see the show live because I'd really like to see how other performace take on the roles. Also I imagine seeing it live will be an experinces in itself. 

6 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

Don't like Burr's singing voice. 

u wot mate.

Wait For It is one of the the best songs (if not the best) in the whole thing, he's amazing.

• Upvote 5
Just now, Stigweard said:

u wot mate.

Wait For It is one of the the best songs (if not the best) in the whole thing, he's amazing.

Am I mixing him up? He's the first guy on stage right?

I only found out yesterday that The Ten Duel Commandments was a homage to Notorious B.I.G Ten Crack Commandments.

I'm sure there's a few other parts in it like that too? Anyone pick up on any? The way they sing "New York" in The Schuyler Sisters song is definitely taken from Alicia Keys.

19 hours ago, Horribleman said:

He's not got the range for when he tries to sing. 

There's another one who can't really sing that well too. A bald one. 

You best mean the bloke who briefly plays James Reynolds, cos’ if you mean Washington or Burr you and me are having words.

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Isn’t that kind of the point. :unsure:

Burr is basically centrism incarnate.

Exactly. Hamilton brings it up multiple times that Burr stands for nothing. He's perfectly willing to wait for what he thinks is due to him rather than persue it. He sings "I'm not falling behind or running late", showing how he's happy to sit in the here and now and wait for his moment compared to Hamilton who siezes the day and the moment.

Burr is more worried about tarnishing his or his fmaily name, compared to Hamilton who has "nothing to lose"

This eventually changes when Burr is willing to change his party to persue his career and that starts the friction between the two. But until that moment Burr isn't willing to sacrifice to achieve.

28 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I'm sure there's a few other parts in it like that too? Anyone pick up on any?

If you haven't already, take a look at the genius.com annotations for Hamilton - they are pretty exhaustive, for both historical and musical references. Lin-Manuel Miranda himself went through and added a bunch of annotations when the album first came out - https://genius.com/artists/Lin-manuel-miranda and scroll down, they're fascinating.

Seeing it live is pretty amazing, and a lot more emotionally overwhelming - I've seen it in London 5 times now, and each time ended up crying a frankly unseemly amount. Jamael Westman was fantastic as Hamilton (he's left the cast now), and I especially also loved Rachelle Ann Go as Eliza. (Here's the original London cast performing the opening number)

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, wavey said:

If you haven't already, take a look at the genius.com annotations for Hamilton - they are pretty exhaustive, for both historical and musical references. Lin-Manuel Miranda himself went through and added a bunch of annotations when the album first came out - https://genius.com/artists/Lin-manuel-miranda and scroll down, they're fascinating.

Seeing it live is pretty amazing, and a lot more emotionally overwhelming - I've seen it in London 5 times now, and each time ended up crying a frankly unseemly amount. Jamael Westman was fantastic as Hamilton (he's left the cast now), and I especially also loved Rachelle Ann Go as Eliza. (Here's the original London cast performing the opening number)

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I really can't wait to see it live now.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Me too. I can see where his weaknesses are, especially when compared to the others who are all better singers but I still really loved his pereformace overall. There's a few times where his "sad singing" does grate a little but I'm ok with it on the whole.

This is one of the reasons I want to go see the show live because I'd really like to see how other performace take on the roles. Also I imagine seeing it live will be an experinces in itself. 

Dude, London Demons/Hamilton reunion...?

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

So the whole thing is a fucking vanity project!? That stings a bit cos its amazing, but he's the weak link.

You've lost it. He's amazing, the modern renaissance man. He could sound like the horrible love child of Cilla Black and Barry Manilow and I will still love him.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, wavey said:

Thanks for posting the London cast link. I found it interesting that the cast were replaced like-for-like ethnically. I dunno, doesn’t that go a little against the diverse spirit of the original production? The idea is that it doesn’t matter that Eliza is Asian or that Mulligan is an imposing black man, right?

On 14/07/2020 at 00:48, kensei said:

I enjoyed this but thought the Helpless / Satisfied combination was so much better than everything else it impacted my enjoyment of the second half. 

I think having seen it a few times, you're absolutely right.

Those two songs back to back stand above everything else in it, and that's saying something given how good everything else is. Sensational.

Satisfied - the song itself, the concept behind it, the staging, Renée Elise Goldsberry's absolutely phenomenal performance of it - is just... perfect. Proper goosebumps.

And then I see things like this, and realise I don't appreciate the half of it.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, g wings said:

You've lost it. He's amazing, the modern renaissance man. He could sound like the horrible love child of Cilla Black and Barry Manilow and I will still love him.

He's a genius with an annoying voice.

I said it in the Disney+ thread but Mulligan/Madison is by far the best rapper in this, with Lafayette/Jefferson being the most fun to watch, the way those two bouncd off each other is also excellent.