Paying for game demos.

Hardwired

I resent having to buy an official magazine in order to play demos of games I might like to buy. I hate the idea of walking into GAME and paying £2 for a demo of a game that may or may not be rubbish. What's that? I'll get my money back if I buy the full game? Well, thanks very much. That's a great help if I don't like it.

Why aren't demo discs given away free in shops? Why can't you fill in your name and address on the game's web site and have one sent to you?

Who decides these things? I want to have a word.

Because coming with magazines mean that it gets to the demographic at the lowest possible cost. If they mailed games it would cost a fortune in postal charges. If they gave them away in shops, people with no intention of buying any of the games on the disk would pick 'em up and it would be a waste of resources.

PS... I want free beer too.

Depends on the quality of the demo in my opinion. One of my fondest memories is buying the demo of Lemmings for the Amiga for £1. Nicely packaged, and of course it helped that it was a genre-defining game!

I'm a bit of a sucker for anything limited-edition though. I bought the Rogue Leader demo disc from Game, 'cos I wanted the Star Wars arcade game, and... if I admit it to myself... a full copy of Rogue Leader wouldn't have seemed 'complete' without the demo disc as well :)

Mind you, the demo put me off buying the full game anyway!

I dont *really* mind paying a couple of quid for a demo but it does bug me that every single one i've bought so far says FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY - NOT FOR SALE on it.

What gets me more is the fact that you have to argue against preordering everytime you buy one of the bloody things, why pre-order before you receive the demo?

On the other hand demos are a form of advertising and creating interest in a game. I've downloaded demos of Far Cry, Call of Duty and Unreal 2004 all for free recently - maybe I should send them a cheque for all their added expense?

Does it cost more to host something on a server, or physically produce a disc and a shiney cardboard case?

On the other hand demos are a form of advertising and creating interest in a game. I've downloaded demos of Far Cry, Call of Duty and Unreal 2004 all for free recently - maybe I should send them a cheque for all their added expense?

There's no media\distribution cost for a download.

Is this hard to understand or something?

1) Demo's cost money to produce

2) If they were free EVERYONE would take a handful rather than those with a specific interest.

So you think it's right that you have to pay £6 (or whatever) for an official mag, just to be able to play some demos?

How much does each demo CD cost to produce? 10p?

There's no media\distribution cost for a download.

Is this hard to understand or something?

Yeah and everybody involved in the demo has to make a profit from it as well or its not worth them doing it, no spratts and mackerals in this game.

So you think it's right that you have to pay £6 (or whatever) for an official mag, just to be able to play some demos?

How much does each demo CD cost to produce?  10p?

Yes it's right.

DVD's cost more and there a license fees from Sony\Nintendo\MS.

Nobody is making money out of them.

Even Sold Out games cost a fiver and their margins are tiny.