Alma’s Not Normal - BBC pilot, series expected in 2021

ZOK

• 1 year later...

I don’t know if anyone watched this but there is now a full series on iplayer, and it’s great. Manages to be surprisingly gentle and very funny while whipping together a whole heap of serious stuff, from the collapsing social care system, prostitution and historic subjugation of women in society to toxic masculinity and North West catering trends. We binged the lot and it really got to me in the last episode.

Dave Spikey has a great minor role as an acting coach and Lem Sissay pops up with a cameo, but the standouts are Alma, her mom and her gran, all brilliant. This is a unique treat.

This seems to be picking up rave reviews everywhere now, and well deserved. Apparently the creator / lead Sophie Willan picked up a BAFTA for the pilot episode too…I imagine the series will be in contention.

My wife and I watched this over the last couple of nights and agreed, it's fantastic. My wife is a mental health nurse and she commented that you can tell that the portrayals of mental illness and addiction come from personal experience, not just some bullshit that a writer who doesn't know what they're talking about has pulled out of their ass. She unfortunately regularly works with people like Alma's mum.

From what I’ve read it’s semi-autobiographical, so what is fact/fiction is hard to say but agreed, it seems to come from a very real place when it’s ‘serious’.

Watched the whole series last night in one go. Having had a very similar mother (not drugs, but sectioned repeatedly), it really struck a chord for me. Particularly the line in the last episode “People just don’t understand. How do you grieve for the living dead?”