rllmuk
strider

1440p or 4K

Monitor poll  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I’ve got my new PC and the one thing I am currently noticing is that 1080p games have a mushy look to them and don’t seem super sharp. I am thinking of getting a monitor (not immediately, mind) and am trying to work out what I need. I need a monitor that swivels ideally. I have a 2070 super and would like to hit 60 on as high settings as possible, so I am guessing 1440 is the way to go.

Any recommendations?

LG C9/CX OLED.

Seriously though, what kind of budget?

• Upvote 2

As great as 4k native looks on on my LG OLED, the difference when dropping to 1440p is negligble. Some of the best graohics I have ever seen were from The Last of Us pt II in the PS4 Pro, which is 1440p.

Also, recently played GTA V at a fully locked 1440p 60fps, and it was glorious. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, footle said:

1440p. Fine at 27 inches, imo.

Yup. 

Get a decent 1440p monitor and you’re sorted.

36 minutes ago, layten said:

LG C9/CX OLED.

Seriously though, what kind of budget?

I do have a LG C8 which I may connect the PC to on special occasions, but this is going to be for my shed.

Looking at around the £400 I'd imagine. Going to sell some games to fund it (just discovered Raiden III sells on PS2 for £100!)

• Upvote 1

I split the difference and play at 1800p on my 4k telly with my 5700xt and then let the Radeon Image Sharpening do it's magic to make it look almost indistinguishable from full fat 4k at my viewing distance

You want to be aiming for higher than 60fps, ideally. Even 75fps is quite the jump.

Or actually you may not want that. You'll never look at 60fps the same way again afterwards.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Fallows said:

You want to be aiming for higher than 60fps, ideally. Even 75fps is quite the jump.

Or actually you may not want that. You'll never look at 60fps the same way again afterwards.

60 is just the default from playing countless Japanese console games for years. Considering most modern consoles struggle to reach that I'll be more than happy with it. Far Cry Primal already feels like a completely different game (with shit combat style).

• Upvote 1

@strider aa gsync monitor is a good bet mainly because is has variable refresh depending on the signal and as such you'll never get horrid tearing again, even if you can't hit your ideal framerate.its basically witchcraft (allegedly, I use a completely unsuitable dell u2410 for pc gaming :hmm:) 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, robdood said:

@strider aa gsync monitor is a good bet mainly because is has variable refresh depending on the signal and as such you'll never get horrid tearing again, even if you can't hit your ideal framerate.its basically witchcraft (allegedly, I use a completely unsuitable dell u2410 for pc gaming :hmm:) 

To add to this - because I understand that Strider occasionally plays the odd retro game - G-Sync/Freesync is also excellent for MAME stuff because it removes the tiny hitches from those games that have weird non-60hz refresh rates. @strider if you only ever play on original hardware you can safely ignore this, but I felt that it might be worth highlighting.

3 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

To add to this - because I understand that Strider occasionally plays the odd retro game - G-Sync/Freesync is also excellent for MAME stuff because it removes the tiny hitches from those games that have weird non-60hz refresh rates. @strider if you only ever play on original hardware you can safely ignore this, but I felt that it might be worth highlighting.

Thanks that's very useful to know :)

How big is the panel you have currently? Is 1080p the native resolution? You're not using some blurry form of anti-aliasing or anything?

I only ask because it shouldn't be looking mushy. I still think 1080p is more than enough. I'd much rather spend the power on higher framerates. Have you tasted 4k? Can you not go back? :D

If you don't really play on mouse and keyboard and you're going to be sat back with a pad or a stick and aiming for 60fps for most games, it'll probably be fine to bump up the resolution, but aye, I'd probably go for 1440p. Unless you have the mother of all sheds and you can push your chair waaay back, I reckon that'll do you, higher would be overkill. Your build will be a lot more future proof at that res, won't it?

I actually just bought a Dell u2720Q 4k monitor - worked out at £350 with work Covid discount amonst other things. This thread has sparked me to do some more reading and I'm realising that 4k screen are probably not great for office work - at 100% scaling the text will be tiny. I expect that'll be going back.

I think I might need to find me a gysnc compatible 27 inch ips monitor instead.

25 minutes ago, watusi said:

I actually just bought a Dell u2720Q 4k monitor - worked out at £350 with work Covid discount amonst other things. This thread has sparked me to do some more reading and I'm realising that 4k screen are probably not great for office work - at 100% scaling the text will be tiny. I expect that'll be going back.

I think I might need to find me a gysnc compatible 27 inch ips monitor instead.

You just don’t use 100% scaling. Problem solved.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

You just don’t use 100% scaling. Problem solved.

That's is true, but then it probably isn't much of an upgrade from the 2k monitor i already have on my desk.

I have an Asus ROG Swift pg279q

This one here

Fairly expensive as far as monitors go, but it's lovely.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoeK said:

This one here

that looks nice, it does bug me that a lot of these monitors only have a couple of inputs. I need at least three - pc, work laptop, random console.

Article here from Rtings, who are usually pretty thorough. They mention that even the best ones don't perform brilliantly in low light with regard to their contrast ratios, but this just seems to be the case with monitors in general. I quite fancy the look of that ultra-wide LG model.

4 hours ago, JoeK said:

This one here

Same here. I also won a 1080p/144hz/1ms/TN Iiyama from coming first place in a Mario Kart 8 time trial tournament while pretty drunk and stoned. I might have to use that depending on how demanding Cyberpunk is going to be on the 1080Ti. Hopefully it won't be too bad due to lack of ray-tracing.

• Upvote 1

An Acer 1440p 144hz monitor is what I went for and have no regrets. 4k monitors are nearly all 60hz and that's just not good enough these days.

3 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I also won a 1080p/144hz/1ms/TN Iiyama from coming first place in a Mario Kart 8 time trial tournament while pretty drunk and stoned. 

Hah, that's impressive. I remember playing split screen Mario kart drunk and high once and thought I was killing it till someone told me I was looking at the wrong part of the screen and was going the wrong way.

• Upvote 3

I have Asus ROG Swift pg279qe and a DELL U2720Q arriving tomorrow so i can do a hearty comparison.

Currently have a DELL U2515 and BenQ GW2765HT. Both are nice the latter is a bit laggy for gaming

Depends how big you want to go. I didn't want an enormous monitor so 1440p for my 24" is ideal. Not sure how noticeable an improvement 4K is going to be at anything less than 32".