rllmuk

Just curious really.

Personally, as I've got older, my tolerance for games I'm not enjoying has disappeared. Whereas I used to power through a game that was barely holding my attention to add it to my completed pile, I now find myself - particularly if a game reminds me of something better - just dropping it playing the older, better game again.

Off the top of my head, I've played through The Last of Us and Alan Wake the highest number of times (6 each) closely followed by the original Borderlands (4 times) and Witcher 3 (3 times, twice with DLCs too). There's loads of games I've played through twice though. I very recently finished my second play of Last of Us 2 directly on the back of the first.

So yeah, do you do this? What game have you played the most?

• Upvote 2

Sonic the Hedgehog. I must have completed that over a hundred times.

Closely followed by Mega-lo-Mania.

It's rare I play any game a second time these days, but will sometimes go back to these to play through again:

Most Mario games

Most Sonic games

2D Zelda games

Older Kirby games

Mega Drive, Master System and NES platformers (Decap Attack, Batman, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Asterix, Alex Kidd, Duck Tales, etc.)

Phantasy Star 1/2/3/4

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2/3

Shenmue

SteamWorld Dig

Lego City Undercover

Burnout Paradise

Basically, the newer the game the less likely I am to replay it. Although, after spending 125-odd hours on No Man's Sky at launch, I went back to it a couple of years later and started from scratch to play it through for another 125-odd hours as it was a very different game. Tempted to do it again soon as it's different again now.

I also go back to some games just for a quick few goes/hours: Mappy, Pac-Land, Puyo Puyo, Katamari, Wii Bowling, Sim City 2000, Dune II, Theme Hospital.

• Upvote 2

Not massively, but I must have completed this game over 500 times now:

Partly to just hear the music, but also because you can do a full run in less than 90 minutes, which makes it so tempting as a thing to pop into from time to time.

I barely play a game to completion once let alone multiple play throughs. 

I very rarely play through old games. I recently played through The Last of Us in preparation for the sequel and I dip in and out of Diablo 3 when I have nothing new to play but that's about it. I don't really have the time to devote to games that I used to so when I am playing games I look to play something new. If the new game is shit/boring, I'll just turn it off and do something else until a new game appears that catches my eye.

Almost never, now. Titanfall 2 is the only one this generation, which I've played three times, and I'm getting the itch to play again.

Last gen there was Halo 3 (probably 5 times), Dark Souls (5 times), Ninja Garden 2 (7 or 8 times), RE4 (7 or 8 times) and, erm, Red Faction: Armageddon (3 or 4 times)

• Upvote 1

A game has to be tremendous for me to want to replay it after I've finished it, especially when (as is pretty much always the case) I have a glut of other games to play that I've never experienced before. Some of the time, however, when I do replay an old favourite I find that gaming has moved on and the systems, mechanics or graphics feel antiquated to the point that it negatively impacts my appreciation of the game, ruining my rose-tinted memories.

I had this last year, for example, when I played the Switch port of FFVII. As a kid, FFVII was my favourite game and nothing could touch it, but going back to it as an adult, a good fifteen or more years since I last touched it, the ludicrous, poorly-translated story and the random battles tempered my adulation for it somewhat. I still finished it and enjoyed it, buy I no longer idolise it as I once did.

Because of this, I find that I'm in favour of remakes and remasters: they allow you to experience some well-loved classics, so that you get the warm nostalgic butterflies, but the game is polished and updated to a modern gaming standard, meaning that it's still fun to actually play. The SotC remake from a couple of years ago is a good example: although I adored the original back in 2006, playing it now, the 15fps frame rate, fogginess and horrible controls would tarnish the experience entirely; the remake is far and away the best way to experience the game.

Having said that, I think it depends how old the game is and how far ahead of its time it was when it first came out. So far this year I've replayed TLoU1 and Half Life 2 and both have been brilliant. Resi 4, which I played on PS4 last year, is also a fantastic game still, once you take 15 minutes to adapt to the controls. These are all games that don't need to be remade as they still stand up, which is part of the reason why - even though I'll definitely buy it - I think the Resi 4 remake is a lot less necessary than the remakes of 2 and 3.

PC gaming also helps: being able to revisit 360-era classics but at 100+FPS and in 1440p means I'm more likely to replay them. I've got Dead Space, Bioshock, Shadow Complex and Arkham Asylum all waiting to be played, but I'm going to go back to BotW and Dark Souls 3 first. In fact, it's a wonder that games I haven't played get a look in at all...

• Upvote 2

Thousands of hours in Soulsborne games are the biggest factor in my ever growing pile of shame.

I've managed to control myself while staying at home all these weeks, however, I haven't reduced my pile of shame substantially. After finishing the Switch version of Link's awakening, I continued with Link's awakening DX on the 3DS, a Link to the past on the snes mini, Twlight Princess HD on the Wii U, Wind Waker HD on the Wii U and finally Skyward Sword on the Wii U. The only one i hadn't finished before was Skyward Sword.

• Upvote 1

I was going to say something like "yes, but not very often - I prefer to play new games".

But then I looked back at what I've been playing over the past couple of years or so, and actually quite a lot of them are replays of games I've played before. And then there's been my Final Fantasy replays, my Metal Gear Solid replays, my Tomb Raider series replays, and more recently HD remasters of Shenmue and Jak and Daxter, and Ocarina 3D and regular once-a-year replays of all the Sonic games, etc. And if Nintendo bring out a Metroid trilogy remaster, I know I'll be all over that as well.

So, erm... yes. Quite a bit, apparently. :unsure:

Maybe that's why my backlog is so bloody big! :lol:

• Upvote 2

Yes, I'll happily give up a game to replay an older one. Even puzzle or story based games like the Zero Escape Series (replays well wonderfully when you are looking out for the twists). I also play a Final Fantasy and Zelda game pretty much every other year.

In fact some games are so good I want them to be re-released so I can replay them. Skies of Arcadia, Fez, Braid. Just comfort gaming.

• Upvote 1

Generally no, but every so often something clicks and I turn around and replay it.

Dishonored (the first one) is the biggest example of this - I did at lest four playthroughs in succession (to get clean hands and ghost trophies, plus one more for maximum chaos). Then replayed it again to do a Corvo run through it and all the sequels and expansions.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, especially SoTC.

Main thing is I have to love the setting and atmosphere so much, I want to remain in the world.

Nope, I do not have the spare time. My backlog has so many games I do not need to buy anymore for years.

Yeah, loads. There are very few games I don't finish, but this gen there were two high profile games I stopped playing.

Sekiro - just too fucking frustrating for me.

Death Stranding - just too fucking shit for me. ;)

If I like I game, I'll often replay it. The most hours I've put into any game or game series are the Mass Effect games (multiple replays across the trilogy with both Femshep/Sheploo), and Skyrim. The Witcher 3 I've played loads, Destiny doesn't really count because it's a continuous thing, though our old raid team did run through Destiny's raids last year (or maybe the year before). Arkham Knight I've played several times. All the Uncharted games I have played several times. I think I played Uncharted 4 three times on the trot, fucking love that game! Recently I revisited Spider-man and Horizon, and indeed Last of Us in the run-up to pt II's release. 

• Upvote 2

The big collect-a-thons I tend not to go back to; if I really like one of those, I'll just get closer to 100%ing it. Just Cause 2 springs to mind there.

If the game has aged well and I don’t mind the time investment, sure. Next time someone asks “why go back to old games?” repeat the question but replace “games” with books, films, music.

Sure, there’s a technology difference with hardware, but I was revisiting Super Mario World and Kirby’s Adventure on an RS97 a few days ago because I still enjoy hopping into them. :) 

EDIT: also I can get pretty picky over new purchases, so if there’s a long period where nothing of interest is being released, I’ll kill time with something familiar...

A few. I've played Ocarina of Time and Arkham Asylum twice and Day of the Tentacle 3 times.

I'm always dipping in and out of GTA5 and Minecraft, does that count?

• Upvote 1

Just now, LowCostMonkey said:

A few. I've played Ocarina of Time and Arkham Asylum twice and Day of the Tentacle 3 times. 

I'm always dipping in and out of GTA5 and Minecraft, does that count?

Actually that reminds me, Terraria, which I've bought on 3 different platforms and played to various states of completion each time. There's been a massive update recently, so I might dip back in for a 4th run through...

Off the top of my head, the only games I've replayed (through to completion) are:

Zelda LTTP

Zelda OOT

RE4 (at least 3 times) 

The Last of Us

Batman Arkham Asylum (and probably City) 

Donkey Kong Country

Super Mario World

So yes, but has to be a bit of a classic for me or have strong nostalgic reasons (DKC). 

Not as much as I used to. I also stopped caring about cheevos and trophies, unless a game really grabs me. Bloodborne and The Last of Us 2 are two big games this gen that I replayed. 

58 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Witcher 3 (3 times, twice with DLCs too) 

That's amazing for such a massive game. Just picked this up on the cheap. Played it on PC and probably played 10 hours or so before bouncing off it. I wasn't keen playing on PC for various reasons so hoping it grabs me a bit more on PS4. 

• Upvote 1

Never, except for Quake II that I get the urge to play through every few years.

There are a few I've spent dozens of hours in but never quite completed, but then started again on a new platform to have another go.

Zelda: BotW, Dragon Quest 8 and soon Ni No Kuni. Tried KOTOR 1 on a few platforms, but always seem to hit a wall well into the game. 

2 minutes ago, Hylian said:

That's amazing for such a massive game. Just picked this up on the cheap. Played it on PC and probably played 10 hours or so before bouncing off it. I wasn't keen playing on PC for various reasons so hoping it grabs me a bit more on PS4. 

I've loved the series since playing the very first game. Something about the lore and characters just clicked with me. I could start another playthrough now.

Resi 4 is another one I've done 4 or 5 times, in fact I think I've replayed most of the games in the series. Even the recent threemake I've been through 3 times! 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I replay pretty much everything I actually care about. It may happen on-and-off continually or once every ten years depending on the game and the investment involved, but generally it will happen at some point. The arcade games and shmups I really gravitate towards are designed for this anyway, with their emphasis on repetition and eventual mastery, but if I have an appreciation of or attachment to a game's particular aesthetic goals, or its mechanics and systems etc, it'll usually stay with me for good. Metroid II and Castlevania IV, for example, get revisited almost annually purely because of this kind of attachment, and the same attachment has formed over the last few years with e.g. the King's Field series, which I'll probably be going back to for the rest of my life. The "play it over the weekend and trade it in" kind of culture, the instant consumption and subsequent discarding and moving onto the next thing, has just never really been how I engage with games.

(There are also games I've replayed several times purely because I never seem to finish them. I'm currently going through Shin Megami Tensei on a repro cart and really enjoying it, having finally got past an area I previously managed to softlock myself into at about the 30 hour mark.) 

I replay old classics every so often, primarily Nintendo and Rare stuff like Super Metroid, LTTP, Goldeneye and Mario Galaxy. 

All new gen stuff I can’t be bothered with as it takes too long. 

31 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Yes, I'll happily give up a game to replay an older one. Even puzzle or story based games like the Zero Escape Series (replays well wonderfully when you are looking out for the twists). I also play a Final Fantasy and Zelda game pretty much every other year.

In fact some games are so good I want them to be re-released so I can replay them. Skies of Arcadia, Fez, Braid. Just comfort gaming.

I would kill for a Switch release of Skies of Arcadia.

• Upvote 3

Games with high replayability are my favourite things, but if it's a one and done game, you're lucky if I play it once.

I'm not the type to watch a film or a show more than once either. It has to be truly exceptional for me to rewatch something.

I did do it a lot when I was younger though, and I don't think that's just because we had like 3 VHS's!

A lot of the games I play are arcade style or score based, so ‘replay’ doesn’t really apply - I have phases where I obsessively play something like Lumines or Guitar Frreaks, but then I’ll get hooked by something else and let it go for a while. Those sort of evergreen titles always keep me coming back, but if it’s not on a current console it obviously gets less play time. I have a PS2 permanently set up for Guitar Freaks and Drummania in the back room, but comfort keeps me mostly on the PS4 with the big telly.

With story based stuff, I replay it for unlockables, nostalgia or if it gets an HD upgrade or a version on a new platform (like a handheld or something). No idea of the truth of this,  but I’d say Shadow of the Colossus is my most played ‘beginning to ending’ type game - PS2, PS3 and PS4 versions (PS4 twice - first in Japanese then in English) with everything unlocked in all of them so multiple playthroughs. Demon’s Souls is likely next on the list, platinum trophies in all three of the Asian, EU and US versions (only Japanese version skipped) so that’s a lot of NG pluses as well. I think I may skip the PS5 version though, not keen on the changed environments that we’ve seen so far - Boletaria looks like a different place entirely.

Final Fantasy VII is one that I replayed many times but mostly (after the original generation) on PSP/Vita when I was away from home.

Actually the only story game I can think of that I replayed many times just for the fun of it is MGS3, although I suppose a lot of that was about unlockables and secrets too. It was always so much fun that I just didn’t think about the ‘goal’ though.

Day of the Tentacle and Link to the Past are games I go back to every couple of years without fail. I'll also replay some other point and clicks periodically.

Randomly, I like to play through Colonisation every so often.

If it appeared on the Switch then I'd do a full replay of Fallout 3 the minute it was released. I recently played RRDR2 and loved it so am half tempted to replay GTAV again.

Weighing up RE4 on the Switch having played in on the Cube a few times and then the Wii and the 360.