rllmuk

I’m replaying RE4 on PS4 currently. First time I’ve played it right the way through since it launched on GameCube. I’d completely forgotten about this guy:

image.gif.cd405dd6c57739bdf43f037f8d467105.gif

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Actually, before I started this replay I was certainly one who really didn’t think it needed a modern remake. While I still think it’s a tremendous game as is, once you get back into the groove of how it controls, I also started to get really excited about just how amazing a modern REm4ke in the current RE engine can and will be on next gen consoles. Imagine the fucking Regenerators, man :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I've replayed stuff if it's choice based and I've enjoyed it. Went through all of these with multiple playthroughs, trying to do them as differently as possible:

Dishonoured Series

Deus Ex

Prey

Mass Effect

Alpha Protocol

Banner Saga

Obviously that list is pretty heavily immersive sim-based in retrospect.

• Upvote 1

I don't have enough time to play the games I want to play once, let alone replay games I've played previously.

• Empathy 1

I think I’ve completed Wind Waker maybe five times in total, 4 times on GameCube and once with Wind Waker HD on Wii U. It’s not my favourite 3D Zelda game, it’s certainly not the best, but I think the bright breezy graphics and comparative easiness have always provided motivation to play it all the way through to the amazing final boss fight which has always been the carrot at the end of the analogue stick when playing.

• Upvote 1

Classics like Mario, Streets of Rage, those sort of quick play type of games I always end up replaying. But a lot of the more modern 30 hour plus game experiences I just don't have the time t replay them anymore unless I absolutely ADORE them and want to do some trophy hunting (Persona, Yakuza series).

The backlog of games I want to play is way too big for me to spend the time replaying things I’ve already completed.

I think the main thing though is that for me I love these incredibly immersive story-driven experiences we get with the very best games nowadays and if I were to replay them there’s a part of me that knows I’ll see through the smoke and mirrors and that magic will be diluted a little as I’ll end up just seeing the underlying mechanics and whirring machinery behind the curtain.

The Last of Us Part II is the most recent and perfect example. The game absolutely blew me away and I rate it as the best I’ve ever played. A week on after finishing it and I still think about it every day. Since completing it I’ve watched hours of interviews and discussions with Neil Druckmann and Ashley Johnson and others involved in its creation and my appreciation for what it achieved has only grown as I’ve learned more of their intentions and the craft that went into it.

But I kind of know that if I immediately went back and replayed it right now the memories of all those incredible moments it gave me would be diluted somehow because I would no longer be experiencing them with the wide-eyed wonder and unbearable tension that comes from having no idea of what’s about to come. I’d like to keep it frozen in time as an unforgettable beacon of brilliance that played out over a week’s worth of late nights sat up in the dark with headphones on, rather than go through the whole thing again and have all the story beats and stunning environments be tainted with familiarity. The element of surprise would be entirely gone and that was a huge factor in my enjoyment of it.

It’s also why I tend to play things on the hard difficulty if it’s available as I’ve found more often than not that the default difficulties for games these days tend to be a little too easy and streamlined. If the overwhelming likelihood is that I’m only going to play something once I’d like to experience and have to utilise the full gamut of gameplay mechanics and tools that the game provides. It depends on the game of course but on the whole it’s an approach that tends to work quite well and means that there’s little need for me to go back and revisit something purely to eke out the full range of gameplay possibilities and feel like I’ve been properly challenged.

Games such as Hitman, Into the Breach and Destiny are exceptions of course, because they’re designed from the ground up to be played repeatedly and in fact only really come into their own once you do. But narrative-driven single-player games are pretty much always a one-and-done for me.

• Upvote 2

Generally no and never immediately after completion but I have revisited a few favourites some years later (or when remastered) to see how they hold up. 

Notably the Uncharted games and the first Tomb Raider reboot, Alice Madness Returns and more recently Titanfall 2 and the first Devil May Cry. I’m also hoping to do  a run through Alan Wake before the AWE DLC comes out having enjoyed Control and Quantum Break recently.

The great thing about revisiting games is my middle aged mind has forgotten half of them so it’s almost like a new game anyway!!

I go back to older 16 bit games quite often, and a fair few 360 titles. I’ve also done Streets of Rage 2 hundreds of times. I’ve played the life out of Hyperstone Heist, and a few runs through Turtles in Time this year. I’ve actually just gone back to my old save game on Forza 2, so I guess it’s a yes from me.

• Upvote 1

I complete Super Mario Bros a few times a year, probably dozens. Link to the Past fairly often too, as well as Super Mario World. I just always enjoy them.

More recently I've played Hollow Knight twice through and plan on a third before Silksong.

I've completed Street Fighter IV 100% a few times, SFIV on Xbox 360 and Super/Ultra SFIV on Xbox 360, PC, 3DS and PS4. Takes a fair while since you have to complete arcade mode on hardest with all 44 characters, complete 24 combo trials for each character (the trickiest part) and win ~20 online ranked matches with each character. The 10 online wins in a row achievement can come down to luck sometimes too. I was gonna do it on PS3 as well but I only have access to it via PSNow and its unplayable.

I'd do it again if they released it on Switch.

• Upvote 2

Yes absolutely, sometimes immediately. I'm currently on my 3rd play-through of The Last of Us part 2. 

I have a sizable collection of retro stuff, so I go back and replay a lot of that stuff very often. Recently a replayed FF7 after playing FF7R. 

Very rare for me to replay games. Unheard of until Mass Effect. I finished mass effect around 5 times with one play through lasting 60 hours. I finished Mass Effect 2 maybe twice but left the final game after the first time of completion...before they patched the ending.

Almost every attempt to replay a fame fails. I put the Last of Us 2 on last night and played for about 30 minutes before turning it off and realising I didn’t want to play it again. I might do one day, certainly if they do another or they patch it for PS5.

I can think of countless games I absolutely love and would like to go through again but on every occasion it’s a waste of time and money.

Im one of the people who don’t want backward compatibility to replay old games but just to play the games I never got a chance too.

I'm not one for replaying games because I like to experience new settings, stories and characters. Gameplay, whilst of course very important, has never overridden that desire to see new things. I'm time-poor enough as it is, without spending my precious hours on things I've already completed.

This isn't new, though. In the arcades back in the 80s I would play games with a clearly defined story (so back then it was mainly beat 'em ups), rather than anything that was based on getting a high score. The only game I've ever played where score mattered was Geometry Wars 2, which was sublime.

Edit: I did replay Alpha Protocol, because my original choices meant I missed out a whole chunk of content and because choices really did have consequences in that, it felt like a different game. Loved it.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I've replayed stuff if it's choice based and I've enjoyed it. Went through all of these with multiple playthroughs, trying to do them as differently as possible:

Dishonoured Series

Deus Ex

Prey

Mass Effect

Alpha Protocol

Banner Saga

Yeah, all of the Deus Ex games have had repeat play-throughs by me.

The old Zelda games for me, specifically LttP and Ocarina, I must have played these multiple times across different hardware over the years, they don't age to me at all.

The only other instance of playing through a game more than once in recent memory was Dead Space 2. Such a good horror experience that I played through once more on the highest difficulty level and it was brilliant. Shame 3 was so painfully average in comparison.

Otherwise I finish a game and tend to move on, maybe revisiting parts of it to mop up achievements etc.

• Upvote 1

I rarely replay games, and when I do I even more rarely bother completing them all over again.

There are odd exceptions, most recently Horizon Zero Dawn which I've finished at least twice and am currently on my third (or possibly fourth) run through. But for that to happen a game has to click with me completely and keep me hooked and enthralled right to the end, which is why it's so rare.

43 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I don't know if they patched it in recently but Alan Wake has some great Control foreshadowing if you look out for it.

Quantum Break does too (as well as loads of Alan Wake references) so will be looking out for them.

I never played the AW DLC at the time either so another reason to replay

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Dishonoured Series

Deus Ex

Prey

Mass Effect

Alpha Protocol

Banner Saga

Alpha Protocol is one I replayed three times in a row. Amazing game.

15 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Alpha Protocol is one I replayed three times in a row. Amazing game.

Buggy as hell, but awesome ambition.

I can't remember if I did a replay - another forum darling of the time that I did replay several times was Binary Domain. Shredding robots in that never got old.

It's pretty rare that I replay a game unless it really resonated with me. It seems to be happening more frequently in recent years.  If I REALLY loved a game and it's not a crazy length or very difficult, then I might even replay it straight away, but that's reserved for a handful:

Dark Souls

Bastion

Salt and Sanctuary

I don't know why these three specifically. Maybe it was a lack of other things that I really felt like playing at the time. Or being curious about the different ways that you could play it.

And then there's the obvious forever games like Slay the Spire and Enter the Gungeon.

4 hours ago, smac said:

Buggy as hell, but awesome ambition.

I can't remember if I did a replay - another forum darling of the time that I did replay several times was Binary Domain. Shredding robots in that never got old.

Binary Domain is another on my list for a replay having picked up a stupidly cheap Steam key, I really loved that game but other than the fact that the French robot was fantastic and the combat was great I remember relatively little of the detail.

It’s always such a hard thing to square, I have a library of over 900 games now on PC that I’ve accumulated in just over a year without even spending that much, I will never have the time to play them all... but fond memories sometimes want to be revisited.

• Upvote 1

I've generally too many newer games to play to spend time replaying stuff, but there are a select few games or series where I'll always want to go back to, and sometimes a new release will give me the itch to catch up on its predecessors.

I replayed the whole of the Half-Life and Portal series in anticipation for Half-Life: Alyx. That included playing a couple of things I'd never played - Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Decay and Lost Coast, but the bulk of the time was spent with games I've already done.

I can see myself always going back to play Metal Gear Solid and MGS3 from time to time.

I can't remember the last story game I played through twice or more. I've gone back to games and re-started but can't remember the last game that I actually completed twice or more. I'm not against re-playing games at all, just haven't done it in recent memory.

Not really, no. I find it very rare that a game can captivate me to the same extent the second time around and I'd rather use that time to play something new.

Resident Evil 4 is probably the exception here - replayed it about 3-4 times and would happily consider replaying it again in the future.

Very very rare. I’m doing a second run through of TLOU2 at the moment, but will undoubtedly abandon it when Tsushima comes out on Friday. Only playing it again really as there’s nothing else in my backlog I can face, so I figured I’d mop up a few trophies and enjoy the combat sandbox. 

Only game I can remember playing multiple times was Super Mario World on my imported SNES. 96* that one on all three saves. Never been tempted to try again though. 

19 minutes ago, Majora said:

Not really, no. I find it very rare that a game can captivate me to the same extent the second time around and I'd rather use that time to play something new.

Resident Evil 4 is probably the exception here - replayed it about 3-4 times and would happily consider replaying it again in the future.

Ah, that's another go-to game. Played that several times to completion on the GC.

I honestly can't remember the last game I played through twice. Maybe Halo: CE, but only due to Co-Op. I also remember finishing both Pokemon Blue and Yellow, which are technically different games but in practice basically identical.

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I honestly can't remember the last game I played through twice. Maybe Halo: CE, but only due to Co-Op. I also remember finishing both Pokemon Blue and Yellow, which are technically different games but in practice basically identical.

Oh shit yeah, I must have played through Halo CE co-op with my mate several times. Completely forgot about that.