rllmuk

Anyone got one of these?

Plays Genesis and Megadrive, SNES and SFC, NES, Famicom, Master System, Master System Cards, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and GBA games, region free.

Mine is plugged into a rather small TV, but the games I've tried look really good.

Means a lot of my vintage consoles can stay in storage for a bit.

The included controller is a bit crap, but most vintage controllers can plug into it.

Feels cheap and plasticky, but I've enjoyed playing on it.

its not for me, but im glad you are enjoying playing your carts on it.

it was ok for its time, but fpga seems to have taken over

It's pretty good but the NES cartridge slot is too flimsy and breaks way too easily to be of any proper use.

I guess it's not for everyone.

Would love it to get a Lynx adapter.

5 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I guess it's not for everyone.

Would love it to get a Lynx adapter.

look out for the analogue pocket

There’s the Retron 3 HD https://www.hyperkin.com/retron-3-hd-3-in-1-retro-gaming-console-for-nesr-super-nesr-super-famicomtm-genesisr-mega-drive-space-black-hyperkin.html

Gives you the NES, SNES and Megadrive in one console. I’ve not got one myself, but it does look like pretty decent. Not sure if it takes the SMS or Super Gameboy adaptors which would solve some of the platform limitations (but not the GBA).  For £50 you can’t really complain.

For me I'm not sure of their niche.  If emulation is good enough, then there's many Pi based solutions that are a lot cheaper.

If paying the creators is important there's stuff like the Evercade, because the creators aren't getting any money from your carts.

If playing the games authentically is important, these don't do it, the problem is the running , not the cart dumps which are perfect.

If it gets people playing games great, but it's basically a less convenient Raspberry Pi without the advantages of other solutions.

• Upvote 1

I think there is a market for these devices - I can certainly see there being a use for me and I might just get one in the next few months. I’ve got a SNES and a Megadrive with a number of cartridges, playing the old consoles are a bit of a pain on a new TV with less TVs supporting old console signals (plus poor upscaling etc from TVs). You’ve also got the fact that consoles will eventually die off, but cartridges seem to be fairly solid (except for batteries, but they’re easily replaced), and the simple decluttering - having one console that plays multiple console games with one HDMI output just would make my life easier with my wife!

You be also got that some retro gaming is fairly cheap - Japanese imports of cart only is quite cheap, plus even loose cartridges can be good value, then you’ve got the huge amounts of Chinese multi-carts that are on eBay now - I’ve picked up a couple of SNES and Megadrive multicarts that contain a number of rare games. I’m never going to pay £100 to play Zombies Ate My Neighbours, but thanks to a £15 multicart with dozens of other rare games, I now can. 

Sure, if you’re looking for absolute perfect emulation then the Analog systems are ideal, but again you need multiple consoles taking up more space (and a lot more cash!). Emulation is another way, but if you’ve got the game cartridges, then there’s nothing like the clunking sound of inserting it in and then picking up from your save file you’ve had for 25+ years! 

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

There’s the Retron 3 HD https://www.hyperkin.com/retron-3-hd-3-in-1-retro-gaming-console-for-nesr-super-nesr-super-famicomtm-genesisr-mega-drive-space-black-hyperkin.html

Gives you the NES, SNES and Megadrive in one console. I’ve not got one myself, but it does look like pretty decent. Not sure if it takes the SMS or Super Gameboy adaptors which would solve some of the platform limitations (but not the GBA).  For £50 you can’t really complain.

I did consider that, but the Master System adaptor swung me towards the 5.  As it is, my only way to play MS carts is on the Game Gear using a Master Gear.  Even though my GG has a modded screen, they don't get much play time.  Now they will.

Being region free, this saves a lot of space under the TV / getting older consoles out and putting them away again.  Perfect for those with a large collection of carts.  Especially as it just plugs into an HDMI and makes the games look really nice.

The Analogs are great as I've had them all and will def be picking up that handheld next year. One thing I would avoid is the RetroUSB AVS, the cart slot grips them like a vice. Couple of times I thought I was going to crack the cartridge or tear my fingers off. I've owned one since last year and I've been leaving a cartridge in for months then giving it a wiggle every week. Over time it has eased it up a bit but not to a point where I want to keep it. Real shame as its the best NES system for playing original stuff by far.

24 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

The Analogs are great as I've had them all and will def be picking up that handheld next year. One thing I would avoid is the RetroUSB AVS, the cart slot grips them like a vice. Couple of times I thought I was going to crack the cartridge or tear my fingers off. I've owned one since last year and I've been leaving a cartridge in for months then giving it a wiggle every week. Over time it has eased it up a bit but not to a point where I want to keep it. Real shame as its the best NES system for playing original stuff by far.

Thats how i feel about my Retron HD

The stupid grip it has on my NES carts is actually causing damage.

• Empathy 1

47 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I think there is a market for these devices - I can certainly see there being a use for me and I might just get one in the next few months. I’ve got a SNES and a Megadrive with a number of cartridges, playing the old consoles are a bit of a pain on a new TV with less TVs supporting old console signals (plus poor upscaling etc from TVs). You’ve also got the fact that consoles will eventually die off, but cartridges seem to be fairly solid (except for batteries, but they’re easily replaced), and the simple decluttering - having one console that plays multiple console games with one HDMI output just would make my life easier with my wife!

You be also got that some retro gaming is fairly cheap - Japanese imports of cart only is quite cheap, plus even loose cartridges can be good value, then you’ve got the huge amounts of Chinese multi-carts that are on eBay now - I’ve picked up a couple of SNES and Megadrive multicarts that contain a number of rare games. I’m never going to pay £100 to play Zombies Ate My Neighbours, but thanks to a £15 multicart with dozens of other rare games, I now can. 

Sure, if you’re looking for absolute perfect emulation then the Analog systems are ideal, but again you need multiple consoles taking up more space (and a lot more cash!). Emulation is another way, but if you’ve got the game cartridges, then there’s nothing like the clunking sound of inserting it in and then picking up from your save file you’ve had for 25+ years! 

There are subtle differences between all of the non-original console solutions.

The Retron 5 console was interesting, as its software emulation like a Pi but it drags the rom file from an original cart rather than from an SD card. I believe you can also use an SD card or get it to store your ripped roms and play those.

At that point, you are probably better off with a Pi

I personally prefer the Analogue products, as you get hardware emulation rather than software emulation, and you can actually play the real maskroms in the original game carts. For me, personally, that's the sweet spot of HDMI retro gaming. But it comes at a price.

I dont get the knock-off multicarts, may as well just play roms

At the end of the day it doesnt matter how you play them, as long as you have fun!

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If paying the creators* is important there's stuff like the Evercade, because the creators aren't getting any money from your carts.

*IP Holders

2 minutes ago, ulala said:

I dont get the knock-off multicarts, may as well just play roms

I think it depends on the game. I have a custom made English version of the Japanese ROM on a cart for the Master System. Its not necessary but to me its the one of my all time fav games, really special on the shelf. I'd like to get Alex Kidd 2 given chance as I believe there's some with amazing artwork and special printed manuals. Just adds to the experience when you play.  Then I've other things like Metal Storm which had so many special extras it was a joy to add to the collection. For me it has to feel special or have some sttachment to make it worth owning.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I think it depends on the game. I have a custom made English version of the Japanese ROM on a cart for the Master System. Its not necessary but to me its the one of my all time fav games, really special on the shelf. I'd like to get Alex Kidd 2 given chance as I believe there's some with amazing artwork and special printed manuals. Just adds to the experience when you play.  Then I've other things like Metal Storm which had so many special extras it was a joy to add to the collection. For me it has to feel special or have some sttachment to make it worth owning.

well an english translation on a cart seems reasonable - especially when its your favorite game

but we were talking about those multicart things, with dozens or hundreds of games on

15 minutes ago, ulala said:

well an english translation on a cart seems reasonable - especially when its your favorite game

but we were talking about those multicart things, with dozens or hundreds of games on

Sometimes those are okay too, Everdrives can be very expensive!

11 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I have a custom made English version of the Japanese ROM on a cart for the Master System.

... Enduro Racer?

It was in this forum many years ago I first learned that the Euro / US versions were half the game (in levels and literal ROM size) of the Japanese one. Kinda blew my mind.

Anyway, I remember warming to the idea of getting a Retro Freak once upon a time. Decent emulation, auto-IPS patching, being compatible with original controllers, access to multiple entire libraries via sideloading ROMs as well as original cart slots. Pricier than a Retron5 but also featuring PC Engine / Supergrafx support (the biggest draw to me at the time) and supposedly built a fair bit better. Had it been available for less I might have pulled the trigger.

But I'm glad I didn't since I I've long been exclusively a handheld and CRT gamer at this point and rarely play games that aren't completely ruined (for me) by even small amounts of extra input lag - something that in my case seems only tolerable by removing the HDTV from the equation.

Having said that I think there's definitely an important niche that the Retron5 fills: The plug 'n play HDMI device for multiple old game systems with no PC literacy, extra knowledge or downloaded files required. I'm surprised the product doesn't seem to have been superceded or revised yet though. It's surely getting on a bit now.

• Upvote 1

I bought a GBA multicart off wish for a laugh and its hilarious.  There's all kinds of crap on the thing, obscure NES games for some reason.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Having said that I think there's definitely an important niche that the Retron5 fills: The plug 'n play HDMI device for multiple old game systems with no PC literacy, extra knowledge or downloaded files required. I'm surprised the product doesn't seem to have been superceded or revised yet though. It's surely getting on a bit now.

They released the individual Retron consoles for VCS NES SNES and Megadrive.

they work really well, and dont rip the rom from the cart like the retron 5 did.

they are a great happy medium between a rom / software emulator and an analogue fpga machine

I think the retron 3 hd is just a combination of their NES/SNES/Megadrive HD systems. It’ doesn’t rip the roms like the Retron5

I had the Retron 5 for a couple of days, had to send it back as it was gripping SNES carts so tight that some of the pins actually came out of the slot, vice like grip is an undertatement.

I switched it up and got the GameFreak, same thing, but does loads more systems, out of the box, it does Famicom, SNES/SFC, Megadrive, GB, GBA and PC Engine Cards.

Then there are cart adaptors that came with it for the SG-1000, Game Gear and NES, plus you can stick a MD2 to MS adaptor in and play those right off the bat.

It's a great little unit, and you can instal your titles to it, then, at the back, the actual brains of the device detach, so you can have just a tiny setup if you want to bin off the cart conenctor section.

Not sure what it is with these third party systems gripping NES carts like there's no tomorrow. Even worse than the blinking red light :lol: none of them seem to get it right.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Not sure what it is with these third party systems gripping NES carts like there's no tomorrow. Even worse than the blinking red light :lol: none of them seem to get it right.

there megadrive and atari clones work as smooth as butter.

ive had to give up using my HD Retron nes

• Upvote 1

One nice thing - it plays my Brian Lara Megadrive perfectly, unlike the Nomad and another knock-off handheld.

To be fair, that's probably because the Nomad is a US machine.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I had the Retron 5 for a couple of days, had to send it back as it was gripping SNES carts so tight that some of the pins actually came out of the slot, vice like grip is an undertatement.

I switched it up and got the GameFreak, same thing, but does loads more systems, out of the box, it does Famicom, SNES/SFC, Megadrive, GB, GBA and PC Engine Cards.

Then there are cart adaptors that came with it for the SG-1000, Game Gear and NES, plus you can stick a MD2 to MS adaptor in and play those right off the bat.

It's a great little unit, and you can instal your titles to it, then, at the back, the actual brains of the device detach, so you can have just a tiny setup if you want to bin off the cart conenctor section.

Do you know if the Game freak plays Brian Lara correctly?  Something about the frequency means that the Nomad and other knock offs load it ok but with the picture constantly jumping upwards.