Games you love but never finished

This may be a boring listy thread but it might also prompt some of us to finally get round to finishing stuff we otherwise loved playing. We could also gawp, heckle and goad each other. Anyway:

I've never completed SMB1-3 or World. Never finished 3D Land or World. Never done Sunshine. Adore them all. 

I've never completed any 2D Zelda. Never completed Ocarina. Formative shit, love them, just never reached the end. 

I finished and loved the main game of The Witcher 3 but dropped both DLCs quite quickly. Tried again but had enough. 

Never completed any MGS besides MGSV which I played for hundreds of hours. I love the series. 

I've never completed any Resident Evil besides RE4, which I've rinsed repeatedly. 

I think I've probably completed Skyrim but I've no memory of it, and never finished any other ES games. 

Never completed any DKC besides Tropical Freeze.

I've played fifty hours of Splatoon, never done the campaign. 

That should get the ball rolling. If anyone wants to lambast me, go ahead. 

My current list of shame is 

Subnautica - I can not tell you how much I love this game. It was a complete surprise and I've thought it is constantly amazing. I played it for 4 hours straight for a week and burnt out a bit. Last time I played it was 6+ months ago.

Zelda Breath of the World - I've done 3 of the 4 beasts and 90% of the side quests. Again, I adore this game, but just stopped.

Control - A really interesting game from a developer who always tries to do something different. Probably 30% of the way through.

Dishonored 2 DLC. - Enjoyable game. A little repetitive and I burnt out.

In all honesty, it's time. I don't have much free time and I feel incredibly guilty when I spend anytime playing a game. I did recently spend 35 hours on Last of Us 2 mind. In any spare time I get i'd rather watch a film then have to  concentrate on playing a game.

Right now I am watching Westworld S2 which I don't really care for. I could be playing a game..but i'm too tired. 

Bloodborne

Hated it. Failed several times to even get through the first part. Then earlier this year I had an epiphany and made it through a significant amount of the game, and loved it. Then stopped. And now I am at a hard bit and am out of practice and keep putting off trying to finish it. Urgh I’d love to finish it so much. 

I've completed a lot of games I love to be honest but there are exceptions. 

Breath of Fire 3: Reached the last 10 hours or so back in the day and stopped. Played it late last year, getting really far than split with Mrs. So stopped. 

Tobal no 1. Never beaten that pesky last quest mode level.

Still haven't beaten Ganon or gone to his castle in Breath of the Wild, even though I have played 150+ hours over two saves. I guess I just feel that once he is beaten that will really mark the end of my time with the game.

Persona 5 I loved as well and I think was like 95% of the way through. I don't really know why I stopped, sometimes you just get to a point where you feel you have seen everything a game has to offer gameplay-wise.

I can only genuinely think of one:

Super Monkey Ball.

Absolutely love it but it’s insanely difficult. There may be an infinite credits option but I probably avoided using it. See also: Ikaruga (which I would include here but I think it falls into the ‘respect’ category rather than ‘love’, again mostly because of the difficulty).

A lot of the games I played as a kid on the Spectrum were ridiculously hard for me, but I feel like I probably cheated my way through things like Rainbow Islands because I do have some recollection of seeing the end of the game.

Majora's Mask

Attempted it three times but just can't get into the spirit of it. I think in reality the cleverness is massively offset by the Groundhog Day nature of experiencing things over and over. But I know I'll go back and genuinely love the premise.

Metal Gear series

I believe I've tried them all (including various handheld versions) and the only one I ever completed was the PSone version. I do like a lot of the ideas, gadgets and Kojima's ability to push graphical fedelity but there's also something a bit fiddly and annoying about them too.

The Binding of Isaac

Keep bashing away at this but I can't get past the Cave level. I find a lot of it baffling but keep going back.

16 minutes ago, spanx said:

Bloodborne

Hated it. Failed several times to even get through the first part. Then earlier this year I had an epiphany and made it through a significant amount of the game, and loved it. Then stopped. And now I am at a hard bit and am out of practice and keep putting off trying to finish it. Urgh I’d love to finish it so much. 

Bloodborne is also proving problematic for me. I usually try to be efficient with my character skill in Souls games, I want to be effective but not flabby - however if I want to get any further motivation in Bloodborne I probably need to say ‘screw it’ and just dump all my (not)souls into the health bar so I can power on through.

I think I got up to the Crystal Tower in FFIII for the DS and was done - I liked how things were going but the grind between boss attempts was a bit much. And apparently that was near the end of the game too :facepalm:

I really like the later DMC games but never stuck with 3; I think it was in the era of me buying dozens of old PS2 games on the cheap, and so I never invested time in anything...

I'm not even sure if I ever finished Deus Ex 1 - I enjoyed that a lot when it came out, but other games always distracted me...

Metroid Prime. I can’t remember how far in I got but I got stuck on a boss and gave up. I then bought the trilogy for Wii, left it in its box for 3 years and sold it at no loss. 

I would Day 1 a Switch port. 

22 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I thought the 2016 Hitman was absolutely amazing and I recommended it to a few friends who also adored it but I only got as far as Marrakech. I should go back to it.

You should, but with that said Paris and Sapienza are easily the best levels so you've seen the best of it.

It's Persona 5 for me.

Loved pretty much everything about it and was enjoying it immensely but for whatever reason I left it for a week or two and just never went back to it. I almost never leave games unfinished and generally love huge epics but as great as Persona 5 is it's way too long and I think on some level I'd had my fill of it by the time I let it fall by the wayside.

Very few for me generally as I'm a persistent bastard and hate giving up...

But yeah Ocarina for me too - never played it at the time and I just got too irritated at the water temple twice (once on the GC port and again on the 3DS version).  Yet I happily  engaged in the elongated shit which was the Tri Force pieces in Wind Waker and despite that it remains one of my favourite games of all  time.

Sometimes I guess you just have to be there at the right time

I’ve never finished Majora’s Mask or Wind Walker, I’ve definitely seen the latter half of both, and I used to think I’d finished them, but watching speedruns has shown me that there’s stuff at the end of both that I don’t think I’ve ever seen. I’m not sure how I’d even play either now without digging out the Wii U, and I don’t even know if I could buy Majora digitally now. 

I don’t think I’ve ever finished Oblivion, despite playing a solid 200 hours of it.

Loved the new Hitman but only actually managed to finish the first two or three missions, I’m terrible at it. Still spent a lot of hours playing it though.

I don’t think there are any more games I’d say I really enjoyed but didn’t finish. I have played hundreds of games I didn’t finish, but most I really love I end up playing all the way through multiple times. 

Too many to list as I've got a weakness towards buying new games all the time where I end up trying new games instead of sticking to what I like. 

Here are some games I really liked but never finished: 

The Evil Within 2 - A fantastic game and a horror masterpiece, it does everything right imo, yet I abandoned it because it was released in the midst of a lot of other games and it simply drowned in the crowd. I've been meaning to get back to it for a couple of years now but there are too many games released that distracts me. 

Bloodborne - Possibly the most interesting Souls like game around due to its unique setting and art style. Gameplay feels tight and responsive and even if it's a hard game it never feels unfair. This was abandoned mostly due to fatigue as I'd recently played through Dark Souls 1 and 2 as warmup to the release of Bloodborne but it ended up feeling too familiar in the end and I simply craved less stressful games at the time. One day, though, I'll return to it and finish it. Probably. Or not. 

Majoras Mask - This is a weird one for me. When Majoras Mask was released I was in a life changing situation where I ended a long term realationship after living in another country and moved back to my country of birth. During this time I had no N64 and didn't feel the urge to play as I had loads of stuff going on in my life. Years later I decided to give it a go, but I only got hold of it through emulation and it didn't sit well with me due to not playing with the N64 controller, everything felt a bit off as it was a game that clearly was designed for the N64 controller. If it ever gets the remaster I think it deserves, I'll be first in line to pick it up. 

Xenogears - Possibly in my top five jrpgs ever, this was a game that blew me away when I got it in the late 90's. I loved everything about it, the music, the grahics, the world, the story....I just couldn't get enough. Then on the second disc I encountered a boss I couldn't beat and got stuck on it for ages. I think I was very close to the end of the game, it might even have been the final boss for all I know as I've heard that the second disc is very brief compared to the first disc. This was also abandoned due to my reason for Majoras Mask, I ended a realationship and moved to another country and I simply forgot about it for years. I remember I did try to boot up the game and continue my save but I'd forgotten all about the moves and techniques and I simply couldn't get into the game at all. 

10 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Persona 5 I loved as well and I think was like 95% of the way through. I don't really know why I stopped, sometimes you just get to a point where you feel you have seen everything a game has to offer gameplay-wise.

I tend to do this with RPGs - get to the last boss and stop playing. I just know there's going to be about five long battles in quick succession, followed by an hour of cutscenes.

Okami

Loved what I played on the old PS2 version, and got to around the same area on the PS3 remaster, but just lost all will to continue. Shame, I have fond memories of playing the game, but I kept losing interest at almost the exact same point.

San Andreas is my favourite game of all time - not sure I ever actually finished it. I definitely didn't finish GTAV either despite sinking untold hours into it.

Some of my favourite games have taken a long time to get through. Deus Ex took well over a year. Hitman 2 is one of my favourite games and this generation and I'm only just getting to the end after months of playing it on and off. Sometimes the richest, deepest games require a long period of time to fully experience.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Okami

Loved what I played on the old PS2 version, and got to around the same area on the PS3 remaster, but just lost all will to continue. Shame, I have fond memories of playing the game, but I kept losing interest at almost the exact same point.

Great call. I finished the 'First Act' on the Wii and then the same years later on the Switch, having completely forgotten why I dropped it first time round. Instantly dropped it. That cursed city area is so depressing and a real comedown. The first act also finishes in a satisfying way so you don't feel like you need any more. 

I never finished Skyrim. I’m about 200 hours in, and have an extremely powerful character, but I just never got around to finishing the main quests.

Paper Mario on the Wii. Really enjoyed it, played a good few hours, got distracted and never went back.

Resident Evil 4 was another I got a good few hours into and started something else for no good reason.

13 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

Metroid Prime. I can’t remember how far in I got but I got stuck on a boss and gave up. I then bought the trilogy for Wii, left it in its box for 3 years and sold it at no loss. 

Oh yeah this is a good one, I often say it is one of my fav games of all time but I don't think I ever got past the penultimate boss.

2 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I never finished Skyrim. I’m about 200 hours in, and have an extremely powerful character, but I just never got around to finishing the main quests.

Paper Mario on the Wii. Really enjoyed it, played a good few hours, got distracted and never went back.

Resident Evil 4 was another I got a good few hours into and started something else for no good reason.

Yep Skyrim is a classic example, I've put in hundreds of hours across multiple characters and platforms but never finished the main quest.

13 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

This x100. Despite the respawning everything & horrible save system I loved it right up to the Omega Pirate. Lost count of how many times I got my arse kicked before putting it down starting something else. Had every intention of going back but never did, & as a result didn't play either of the sequels.

Hope the rumoured Switch port has save-anywhere & useless old git difficulty level, but I'll buy it anyway if it ever happens.