Edge #348 | Cover story - Cyberpunk 2077

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I think finding someone who "cares" about a game is more important than handing a review to someone who will "like" it, because they're likely to have better knowledge of the expectations that fans of the genre/series may have. (Look at the fun we had trying to split coverage of the GotY awards and how nobody wanted Gears 5 ;) )

How do we know that Edge don't already do that though?

I'd expect most publications to at least try to do that unless staff/assignment constraints got in the way.

1 minute ago, macosx said:

Edge lol. 

I don’t have any problem with them scoring it such . But they do have a track record of this sort of score for the more generic open world games . And since I thought days gone was great ( and Death Stranding is one of my favourite games this gen ) I’m not going to worry too much about it . 

16 hours ago, Zael said:

Yeah, it's good. Not as complicated as STS but there are a lot of fun cards and the three platform mechanic adds a unique feel to it. 

Thanks. Im hesitant to play another time sink! StS consumed my life for a long time.

Aye, mine hasn't arrived yet. I also dreamt it was a bumper Diablo special issue with a gorgeous art pullout and one of those novelty sound gimmicks you get in cards (That played a stunning vocal version of the Diablo 1 village theme).

Fuck me but the opening editorial is terrible this month:

Horizon Forbidden West seemed close to indistinguishable from Horizon Zero Dawn.

You fucking what? Get your arse to specsavers.

And this gem:

The attention to detail in Night City... didn’t even need a new console [generation] to do it.

Er, while that might be technically correct the narrative is patently false. You played it on a £2k, 2080Ti rig, far surpassing current and next gen consoles. You haven’t seen it on a console, and it sure as shit won’t look like what you played in the PC press demo on an Xbox One. Wtf are you talking about?

Missing you already Nate.

Also, the guy who reviewed Ghost of Tsushima was clearly crap at the game. The complaints about too many enemies, and the archers being too accurate, are wide of the mark. The game does throw enemies at you at times, and it is challenging, but not to the point it feels unfair. The archers clearly call out when they're about to shoot, and you get a skill very early on that auto-parries all arrows when blocking. 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Also, the guy who reviewed Ghost of Tsushima was clearly crap at the game. The complaints about too many enemies, and the archers being too accurate, are wide of the mark. The game does throw enemies at you at times, and it is challenging, but not to the point it feels unfair. The archers clearly call out when they're about to shoot, and you get a skill very early on that auto-parries all arrows when blocking. 

The guy who reviewed Ghost of Tsushima is clearly crap at reviews. It’s not just one of the best games on PS4 but, also one of the best game worlds ever created..........and it gets a 6! Wtf? Archers are too accurate? How about, ya know, pressing Circle to dodge? Kids these days!

On 16/07/2020 at 19:30, rafaqat said:

Yikes, if that's the general score from other respected outlets then that explains the tweet from Neil Druckman on this yesterday explaining how much he loves the game.   Seemed very PR like to me.

Well, it's not the general score. As for Druckmann's tweet, I'm sure there is an element of PR to it. All these studios congratulate each other at launch, which is definitely PR. Doesn't mean he can't enjoy the game though. He did complete it, looking at his Twitter.