IGNORED

Old Nerd Playing Old PC Games (Youtube)

Old Nerd

10 hours ago, Old Nerd said:

Ok guys, I acknowledge your criticism, please accept my apology. So lets try to discuss a bit.

I would like to ask, whats your most favorite (iconic) pc games from the past ?

For me, its:

1. Gothic trilogy (mainly Gothic 2) - for perfect work with AI, original story-telling, authentic vibe & quests variety

2. Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven for the complexity of RPG elements, weapons (armors, items) variety & huge open-world.

3. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for unrivaled multiplayer & complex chess-like tactics.

4. Diablo 2 - for its atmosphere, well-designed action & coop multiplayer.

5. GTA San Andreas - for many sophisticated mechanisms, interesting story-line & perfectly designed open-world.

If we must choose from this list I’d say Diablo 2. 

I’d probably say my favourite series of games from the mid nineties on would have been the c&c franchise. After dune 2 I was fully bought in. 

I spent so many hours playing Doom and Doom 2 it's a wonder I passed my degree at the time.

I also enjoyed the Dungeon Keeper games too.

Another massive time sink was Monkey Island 2 and it was this game that made me upgrade from my Amiga 500 to something with a hard drive! 

Does Carmageddon qualify (pre 3DFX version) cos that was something I played for hundreds of hours.  I even played the demo for about 30 hours I think.

Finally, as @Droo says, the C&C, Dune 2 and Total Annihilation games were faves for a while too.

18 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Ah yeah, Command and Conquer definitely has to be in there - also Age of Empires - I played the originals to death when they first came out (except 3 which I never got into) and am currently having a good time with 4. 

Dune 2 and C&C hold a really special place in my heart.  They came along at the tail end of my childhood and the start of my adolescence.  So they mingle in with that magical time where the summers are long and fun and magic.

I remember seeing the FMV for C&C and it blowing my mind, many a long boring sunday evening were spent playing through the game. 

26 minutes ago, WizRider said:

Have you tried the new remastered versions on PC @Droo?  They look ace and play as well (if not better due to some modern QoL changes) as ever.

yeah, but at something daft like 40gb I do not have enough space to keep it on my laptop!

I think there are very few PC games I’d pick.

There’s Morkin II, which is a clone of Chaos for DOS, and Command & Conquer, but most other games that are perhaps classed as PC titles I played on the Amiga or console.

So point and click adventures and Civ II, Amiga, and anything newer, console.

Oh, and GORILLA.BAS

22 hours ago, WizRider said:

I spent so many hours playing Doom and Doom 2 it's a wonder I passed my degree at the time.

I also enjoyed the Dungeon Keeper games too.

Another massive time sink was Monkey Island 2 and it was this game that made me upgrade from my Amiga 500 to something with a hard drive! 

Does Carmageddon qualify (pre 3DFX version) cos that was something I played for hundreds of hours.  I even played the demo for about 30 hours I think.

Finally, as @Droo says, the C&C, Dune 2 and Total Annihilation games were faves for a while too.

I rebought carmageddon on gog, only played for a few mins, couldn't get back into it again for some reason. The physics are still impressive though.

For me unreal tournament, quake 3 and Deus ex are the games that really stand out on the pc. Q3 is probably still my favourite arena shooter.

Quake 2021 (quake remake) is free on Steam if you own the original. Worth getting for ease of multiplayer and wide-screen etc

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_(2021)

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2021 at 11:43, Anne Summers said:

Ah yeah, Command and Conquer definitely has to be in there - also Age of Empires - I played the originals to death when they first came out (except 3 which I never got into) and am currently having a good time with 4. 

For sure, C&C and AoE are diamonds of RTS genre. I remember I was in love with AoE2 campaign when it came out in 99.

On 28/11/2021 at 09:04, bplus said:

I rebought carmageddon on gog, only played for a few mins, couldn't get back into it again for some reason. The physics are still impressive though.

For me unreal tournament, quake 3 and Deus ex are the games that really stand out on the pc. Q3 is probably still my favourite arena shooter.

Quake 2021 (quake remake) is free on Steam if you own the original. Worth getting for ease of multiplayer and wide-screen etc

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_(2021)

Yeah, I will definitely play the Quake remaster on my channel.

On 27/11/2021 at 19:54, deKay said:

I think there are very few PC games I’d pick.

There’s Morkin II, which is a clone of Chaos for DOS, and Command & Conquer, but most other games that are perhaps classed as PC titles I played on the Amiga or console.

So point and click adventures and Civ II, Amiga, and anything newer, console.

Oh, and GORILLA.BAS

Civ 2 was my most favorite one from the series. Civ 5 was not bad, but the new Civ 6 is not much of my style.

I’ll join in. The pc games that I spent far too much time of my teenage years playing are in no particular order:

Indycar - for some reason I preferred this to Geoff Crammonds F1 and the texturing seemed from the future

All lucasart scumm games but most importantly day of the tentacle and Indy and the fate of Atlantis. 

Flight Sim 3, 5, 95…

Falcon 3 and 4 just flying around

The original gunship

sim city 2009 

some game called Doom. On a school network (we were seriously lucky at my school)

Wing Commander privateer

Age of empires (2 really - bit later on)

ah….happy simpler days. 

Secret of Monkey Island 2 was essentially the game that moved me from console gaming into the PC world. I still think it's a pretty astonishing game in many ways. 

Wing Commander 2 - I'm not entirely sure whether it was even a particularly good game at the time, but the idea of playing through essentially a sci-fi TV series was pretty awesome. And on my 486-dx it almost ran smoothly.

Ultima 7 - probably the greatest western RPG ever made. It's awfully, awfully dated now but I thought the world building in it was amazing.

Gabriel Knight - as with most Sierra games, I found the mechanics in the game far more janky than the Lucasarts equivalents, but the story in that game was fabulous. The sequel was pretty awful, although I seem to remember seeing the actor who played Gabe in an episode of Friends (or was it Frasier? I dunno, something like that).

System Shock - it might have been a blocky mess with far too many controls but by god that was a great game. Not entirely sure I'd ever want to replay it, nor have much interest in the remake but there we go.

Plenty more of course...

On 26/11/2021 at 06:39, Old Nerd said:

Ok guys, I acknowledge your criticism, please accept my apology. So lets try to discuss a bit.

I would like to ask, whats your most favorite (iconic) pc games from the past ?

For me, its:

1. Gothic trilogy (mainly Gothic 2) - for perfect work with AI, original story-telling, authentic vibe & quests variety

2. Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven for the complexity of RPG elements, weapons (armors, items) variety & huge open-world.

3. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for unrivaled multiplayer & complex chess-like tactics.

4. Diablo 2 - for its atmosphere, well-designed action & coop multiplayer.

5. GTA San Andreas - for many sophisticated mechanisms, interesting story-line & perfectly designed open-world.

Cool channel!

My favorite old PC game is Civ 2. 

Also, 1st time playing an RTS like Age of Empires just blew my mind.

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 completes the trinity for me. I could live on a desert island with just those 3 games. 

On 28/11/2021 at 01:04, bplus said:

Oh man. I forgot about Carmageddon. Yeah, the physics were fun and I got several of my friends into that game back in the day. No one forgets the game where you're encouraged to run over pedestrians and get a bonus for running over an old lady, lol. 

I enjoyed the Splat Pack expansion too, especially the new areas which seemed a lot bigger with more weird areas to explore. 

• 3 months later...

Hello gamers. Hope you all doing well. I was not here for a long, but I'm still uploading retro stuff like crazy. 😀

Do you remember the first Worms game release ? I've just made a longplay of this popular hotseat game. We played hours behind a one PC back in the days. I really miss those times.