Yellowstone - Kevin Costner western series

kerraig UK

Sort of a mix of Sons of Anarchy, Open Range and Succession. It's about a family of cattle rangers in Montana and their fights with encroaching property developers, local native Americans and each other. Costner is the Patriarch trying to hang on to the old ways and his kids are the usual bunch of aspirational challengers, rebellious troublemakers and corrupt backstabbers.

Only watched the pilot so far but it seems pretty tight. Gorgeous to look at, refreshingly different setting and Costner is always great value. 

Definitely looks like it's following a pretty tried and tested formula (Large crime family tears itself apart while fighting enemies from all angles), but the pilot was riveting enough. 

• 1 year later...

Not a single reply?!?

I just started watching this and it’s pretty compelling stuff. 

There’s also now a spin off prequel series called 1883, which follows the ancestors of the Yellowstone characters as they set out on the extremely dangerous Oregon trail. That one stars Sam Eliot who is the most cowboy cowboy that ever cowed a boy. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

I mean…I only started watching it today and I didn’t realise that was a criteria for you, otherwise I would have paged you to the thread immediately. 

She’s proper filthy so far, so if she’s your bag, you’ll be happy. 

I have no idea why, but I love her.

This is created and nearly all written by Taylor Sheridan, who used to do Neo-Western films for a while including Sicario and Hell or High Water, both of which are pretty good.

I don't know how he finds the time to do multiple of these TV shows, as he currently has several on the go at once.

Somebody described it as basically a soap opera for men.

Yellowstone is just* Dallas with Kevin Costner as J.R. and set in Montana. Wasn't for me  but there's no denying the quality of the cast or budget.

* As if Dallas wasn't a massive hit in it's own era.

On paper there's no reason I shouldn't like this but I've struggled to get much entertainment out of it. The actors are solid, it's gorgeous to look at and I like the overall premise but almost every single character is a wanker in some form and I struggle to find anyone to root for. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watching ep6 of 1883 tonight, and this is just perfect tv. Superb cinematography, writing, characters and acting. 

On one hand I want to binge the last few but on the other I don’t want to get to the end. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I had the wrong impression about 1883. I thought it was a small scale spin off that would have a limited cast and setting to fill in some back story. Based on the first episode it seems they went all out on the locations.

I'm quite looking forward to '6666' now. The parts of Yellowstone S4 related to it were pretty good. Hopefully they don't stretch the IP too far though, given that's 3 spinoffs already.

5 hours ago, pledge said:

I think I had the wrong impression about 1883. I thought it was a small scale spin off that would have a limited cast and setting to fill in some back story. Based on the first episode it seems they went all out on the locations.

I'm quite looking forward to '6666' now. The parts of Yellowstone S4 related to it were pretty good. Hopefully they don't stretch the IP too far though, given that's 3 spinoffs already.

Thankfully it’s less “Yellowstone in the old west” and more it’s own thing, though I worry 6666 will just be “Yellowstone in Texas”. 

What's the deal with season 2, 3 and 4 in the UK? Season 1 was on 5action or something which I've watched but can't find any listings for the other seasons? Not to mention the spinoffs!

On 11/02/2022 at 18:15, papalazarou said:

This is a great show, the wife and I binged watch all the seasons so far so over Xmas.   It def ups the ante the more the show progresses. 

Have been also been watching 1883 and while good it’s very slow paced.

Where is it bingesble from? A service  or high seas?

1 hour ago, Trigg said:

What's the deal with season 2, 3 and 4 in the UK? Season 1 was on 5action or something which I've watched but can't find any listings for the other seasons? Not to mention the spinoffs!

The legit way in the UK will be Paramount+ when it launches (at least for 1883). 

• 1 month later...

I’m two seasons into Yellowstone now. Took a little while at first but the hooks are in deep. I was definitely quite invested in the second season finale and there’s been a few really brutal scenes I hadn’t been expecting. 

I only heard about from an article which covered how it was this huge, popular show that got very little attention in the media. Fair enough over here as the distribution doesn’t seem to be in place but in the US, this is way bigger than a show like Succession in terms of viewership. This isn’t as good as Succession of course but well worth the time.