Balan Wonderworld - Remember NiGHTS? Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima do!

https://balanwonderworld.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/main/

This video includes their introduction with English subtitles, as well as the trailer:

Edit: Here's the longer version, from the official site

And the trailer alone:

Looks like a very traditional platformer, with character design that fortunately looks a lot more NiGHTS than Blinx.

In particular, those bosses look extremely NiGHTS-y - not just their character designs, but also their attacks (spike balls and flames) remind me of some of the hazards in that game's final boss fight. And that voiceover is earnestly cheesy in exactly the same way as the narration in Christmas NiGHTS... :wub:

"Cephalopainter" - is that a Splatoon reference?

And a few seconds later at 1:10 there's a familiar-looking blue runner!

Did I mention that it's all very reminiscent of the 1996 Sega Saturn game NiGHTS Into Dreams?

Looks interesting - let's hope it's got some good level design in there.

This isn't going to match up to NiGHTS but something at the Billy Hatcher sort of quality level will be more than good enough for me.

I also quite liked the last title he released, Rodea: The Sky Soldier - Wii version not the WiiU/3DS one.

21 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I also quite liked the last title he released, Rodea: The Sky Soldier - Wii version not the WiiU/3DS one.

Absolutely!

The free (believe it or not) Wii game was pretty decent. A lot better than the sequel to Nights we got a few years earlier.

Then again, Naka's golden days ended ages ago. I wasn't even a big fan of Billy Hatcher tbh

From the official site, here's a longer version of the video in the first post, with more developer interviews. Skip to 6:14 for an amusing demonstration of Ohshima's character design method! :eyebrows:

BALAN WONDERWORLD is a wondrous action-platformer game themed around a mysterious musical theatre.

The stars of the show will use special abilities from a multitude of characterful costumes as they adventure in the bizarre and imaginary land of Wonderworld. Here memories and vistas from the real world mix with the things that people hold dear.

Twelve different tales await our stars in Wonderworld, each with their own unique quirks. They will explore all corners of these labyrinthine stages, using all the tricks and gimmicks hidden along the way, to get to the heart of each touching story.

COSTUME

The stars of the show can use powers from the inhabitants of Wonderworld by wearing their colourful costumes, with over 80 different ones to try on!

Bash your enemies, walk in the air, freeze time or manipulate all kinds of objects... the possibilities are endless when you pick up a new costume.

STORY

The setting for this tale is the fantastic, imaginary land of Wonderworld; a place where people's happy and positive memories mix with their restless worries and negativity.

Leo and Emma are led into Wonderworld by the enigmatic maestro Balan and set off on a journey to find what is most precious to them.

Before they can return to the real world, they must first restore the lost balance in their hearts...

And of course people are already making crossover fanart:

Between this, Psychonauts 2, Astro Bot and Sackboy, we're getting quite a few 3D platformers, which is nice. I'm not sold on the character art, but the game itself looks fun.

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

Looked interesting until I saw these...

so so so bland. Been given the corporate makeover until they lose all character in an attempt to appeal to all but yet appeal to no one.  

It's good to see Cappy still has a career in videogames after his adventures from a few years ago.

Still; getting some strong Nights/Sonic team vibes from that trailer, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

13 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

The free (believe it or not) Wii game was pretty decent. A lot better than the sequel to Nights we got a few years earlier.

In fairness to Journey of Dreams, it is pretty good if you buy an adapter and use a DualShock 2 to play it. The ungated circular analogue stick really helps it.

I think this'll be bad right?

Like NIGHTS was bad, and NIGHTS fans are already doing the ultra-defensive Shenmue 3 style "there's nothing like it, if I can keep shooting down comparisons, I can keep it as this special thing immune to criticism" posting in here, which is a new record.

35 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think this'll be bad right?

Like NIGHTS was bad, and NIGHTS fans are already doing the ultra-defensive Shenmue 3 style "there's nothing like it, if I can keep shooting down comparisons, I can keep it as this special thing immune to criticism" posting in here, which is a new record.

I'd love to know what your criticisms of NIGHTS are.

There are definitely games similar to it, but they don't tend to look the same and are possibly not even seen to be in the same genre.

Balan Wonderland is a 3D platformer and that's totally fine.

The 3D platforming wasn’t even what NiGHTS was about. It was a kite flying sim and it was glorious.

This looks... ok? Definitely more of a straight up 3D platformer and not much like NiGHTS at all, really.

Are you all mad?

This looks amazing. Absolute day one for me. It's exactly the kind of game I cream over. It must be a throwback to my heyday as I really respond to these kinds of platform adventures. Absolutely thrilled to see this, can't wait to play it.

Switch trailer with what looks like actual Switch footage (not always a given with trailers for multiformat games).

Decent effort but I think I’ll be playing this one on Game Pass.

It looks really generic, which is not a criticism you can level at NiGHTS irrespective of whether you’re a fan of the latter or not.

• 1 month later...