Balan Wonderworld - Remember NiGHTS? Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima do!

This is getting a demo next week. 

Publisher Square Enix and developer Arzest will release a demo for Balan Wonderworld for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam on January 28 worldwide, the companies announced.

The demo will feature Acts 1 and 2 of Chapter 1, Act 1 of Chapter 4, and Act 1 of Chapter 6, as well as access to the Isle of Tims, the hub area where you can also raise mysterious creatures called Tims. The demo also supports two-person local multiplayer.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/balan-wonderworld-demo-launches-january-28

• 2 weeks later...

Was quite excited for this, thinking it was going to be something different, perhaps similar to Nights.

But it just looks like a bland collectathon. 

Strongly agree (and I really like Yuji Naka games even the ones slightly below par)

Good? The CG cutscenes are great. The boss battle was kinda interesting.

Bad? The platforming. The pace. The look which is so so ropey. The lack of anything interesting in level design - not even as a collect-em-up does it have any sort of interesting design. The QTEs.

The game is like NiGHTS except that you just play as the kids platforming and you never get to fly around as NiGHTS even though he is clearly there and far more interesting.

I had far more fun with the Super Lucky's Tale demo. That has more charm and interesting mechanics than this, and that's nothing more than a decently solid platformer.

This is going to deservedly flop really hard.

Yeah, it's a bit meh. If it weren't for the association nobody would really care. The platforming and collecting and combat isn't broken or anything; it's just not very deep or interesting.

I do like the anticlimax of messing up QTEs in Balan's Bout though! :lol: 

I played through the PS5 demo. It's a very, very simplistic 3D platformer but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. 

It's basically made for kids. It's beautiful and colourful and runs fantastically on PS5, which makes it all very deliberate. This isn't some broken trashy game, it's intended to be like this. It's just that it's made for 8 year olds and not men in their 30's or 40's on a videogame internet forum. 

...the thing that doesn't make sense though, is the massive nerd-bait NiGHTS styling. That IS aimed at 30-40 year olds, and it's a really badly judged move. 

8 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's just that it's made for 8 year olds and not men in their 30's or 40's on a videogame internet forum. 

c7NJRa2.gif

I mean, these days you've got the likes of Mario, Kirby and the original NiGHTS still delivering amazingly satisfying gameplay for young and old players. :)

I don't know; maybe I'm being too harsh on a small segment of the game and the whole thing will be more interesting.

Yeah, it's such a lazy approach. We as kids played the likes of Zelda 1 and Metroid and loved them. They weren't dumbed down or simplified and they made me a fan for life. They wouldn't have had the same impact if they were made with the idea "for kids, let's make it hella basic"

I’ve played any number of 10p Switch eShop indie platformers both more fun and more professional than this. Woodle Tree 2, MacBat64, Car Quest... play those instead.

Why do the other characters disappear when I get close to them?

Also, I watched YouTube video of the PS5 demo and it didn’t appear to have tufts of grass? The Switch has tufts of grass. Are we not allowed tufts in the next gen?!

Is the PS5 sponsored by Manscaped?!

Started playing and had to come here to see if I was missing something. 

I thought that the part where you're walking around was like the bit in Nights when you walk to get your flying suit to start the game proper. I quickly realised that this with the addition of different 'costumes' is the actual game and I'm a bit stunned. Stiff controls, uninspired gameplay with a whacky big eyed setting that I guess they hope will save it. 

It's like they are basing it all on Yuji Nakas pedigree despite him not having made a decent game in 15 years. I think he may be broken if this demo is anything to go by. :(

5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It's like they are basing it all on Yuji Nakas pedigree despite him not having made a decent game in 15 years. I think he may be broken if this demo is anything to go by. :(

Yuji Knackered

On 29/01/2021 at 14:48, elmo said:

My 6 year old said it was “totally rubbish”

Well Kevvy metal will be round your door later telling him that actually he's wrong and it's what the developers had intended and therefore it's good.

40 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Well Kevvy metal will be round your door later telling him that actually he's wrong and it's what the developers had intended and therefore it's good.

Excuse me? 

I have never said it was good, that's subjective. I guess you didn't really read or pay attention to the point that I was making?.. That it's not a broken disaster of a game, it's actually polished implying that it's all intentional, and it's completely bizarre that it would hark back to NiGHTS so much. 

• 1 month later...

Happy launch day, people!

Uh...

I don't own the game but I did catch footage of the event pre-patch. Put simply, there are moments in the final boss battle where the whole screen blinks white rapidly as certain things happen. (Not, like, a character blinking white, or part of the stage - it's a full-screen effect.) Obviously be very careful if you do want to go and find footage yourself. But yeah... not a great launch.