rllmuk

Avowed (Elder Scrolls X Pillars Of Eternity)

1 minute ago, Zael said:

Ok sorry I don't think I'm getting my point across. I don't think the main character is the same as Geralt. I think Geralt is a much better written, more fleshed out character. I was responding to your point about how Deadfire has a cliched old fashioned plot because "you are still the top dog and capable of hunting down a God because you are super amazingly awesome." Since you previously made a comment about how The Witcher 3 is an example of how a current RPG should be written I was making the point that if anything Geralt is more of a super amazingly awesome top dog than any of the characters you play in Deadfire.

Ah,  sure, now I get what you meant. :)

• Upvote 1

He certainly is. As for the actual game this thread is about as much as I liked Deadfire I really didn't like Outer Worlds so not sure how excited to be!

20 minutes ago, Zael said:

He certainly is. As for the actual game this thread is about as much as I liked Deadfire I really didn't like Outer Worlds so not sure how excited to be!

Did you like New Vegas or Alpha Protocol or KotoR 2?

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Did you like New Vegas or Alpha Protocol or KotoR 2?

Yeah loved them all. I think Outer Worlds is the only Obsidian game I haven't enjoyed. I even liked Dungeon Siege 3. 

29 minutes ago, Zael said:

Yeah loved them all. I think Outer Worlds is the only Obsidian game I haven't enjoyed. I even liked Dungeon Siege 3. 

Well, enough reason to get excited! The makers of those games, with a budget this time around.

Fwiw, I didn't get on with Dungeon Siege 3 at all but loved Outer Worlds - it petered out towards the end though. Also, I got the impression that Deadfire was their main team if they have such a thing, and Outer Worlds was more of an in-between game. I might be making that up.

I’m up for anything that’s elder scrolls like. Really wish obsidian could escape the Bethesda jank though. Even when they’re not making thinks with that shit engine, their games look similar. 

39 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’m up for anything that’s elder scrolls like. Really wish obsidian could escape the Bethesda jank though. Even when they’re not making thinks with that shit engine, their games look similar. 

Outer Worlds was unreal engine wasn't it? Yeah they sure did their best to make it look like the same old New Vegas engine.  But the crucial difference ia that I've played all the way through without a single bug that I can remember. Try doing that in any Elder Scrolls!

Aesthetically speaking, I totally agree that it would be best if Avowed didn't look like a Bethesda game... Hopefully they'll look more towards Witcher or even Tsushima (because I'm playing that right now) for how solid, pretty, and atmospheric an open world can be with good art direction.

12 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

But it's not. :P

Ah, it's decent - you might not like it but a lot of people do enjoy it. It's barely an RPG though was my point, Bethesda has streamlined their sandbox so much ever since the early days that Skyrim, for as enjoyable as it might be on its own terms, has zero depth to it. As a fan of the genre, I hope Obsidian makes a great one of those in that setting. We've already had Witcher 3 of course, but having played Deadfire I'm totally up for that kind of experience in first person.

Also, the way player hero dude activated his magic hand immediately reminded me of Arx Fatalis which means automatic excitement level +1 for me :D Edit: I'm referring to the end of the Avowed reveal trailer of course.

• Upvote 2
Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Outer Worlds was unreal engine wasn't it? Yeah they sure did their best to make it look like the same old New Vegas engine.  But the crucial difference ia that I've played all the way through without a single bug that I can remember. Try doing that in any Elder Scrolls!

Aesthetically speaking, I totally agree that it would be best if Avowed didn't look like a Bethesda game... Hopefully they'll look more towards Witcher or even Tsushima (because I'm playing that right now) for how solid, pretty, and atmospheric an open world can be with good art direction.

Ah, it's decent - you might not like it but a lot of people do enjoy it. It's barely an RPG though was my point, Bethesda has streamlined their sandbox so much ever since the early days that Skyrim, for as enjoyable as it might be on its own terms, has zero depth to it. As a fan of the genre, I hope Obsidian makes a great one of those in that setting. We've already had Witcher 3 pf course, but having played Deadfire I'm totally up for that kind of experience in first person.

Also, the way player hero dude activated his magic hand immediately reminded me of Arx Fatalis which means automatic excitwm level +1 for me :D

:wub:

• Upvote 1

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-game-studios-otx-you-had-me-at-halo.246538/post-40806123

As I previously mentioned before the announcement, Obsidian is working on Pillars (I assumed this regarding the info) game as back then I did get confirmation that game contains “spore-like” creatures with few other vague descriptions of The Living Lands.

So, I did get new informations about Avowed:

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.

On 24/07/2020 at 22:17, Broker said:

Escape the Bethesda 'look', you mean? Their games are far from janky.

It was very refreshing being able to play The Outer Worlds without having to worry about installing community fixes and mods to make things work as they should.