Who had the better film career, Robin Williams or Jim Carrey?

Who had the better film career, Robin Williams or Jim Carrey?   

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This occurred to me recently. It doesn't matter obviously, competition is bad. Jim Carrey i think did better comedies but Robin has Good Will Hunting which is one of my favourite performances in how true and convincing it is.

Of course, Carrey hasn't finished yet. I think of him having emerged from a cocoon around 1993 then unleashed on the world fully formed, but then look at his imdb and see he played a vampire in 1985 film Once Bitten. Of course he did!

reminder:

Robin Williams films

80s

Popeye

The World According to Garp

The Survivors

Moscow on the Hudson 

The Best of Times

Club Paradise

Seize the Day

Good Morning, Vietnam

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Dead Poets Society

90s

Cadillac Man

Awakenings

Dead Again

The Fisher King

Hook

FernGully: The Last Rainforest

Aladdin

Toys

Mrs. Doubtfire

Being Human

Nine Months

Jumanji

The Birdcage

Jack

Hamlet

Fathers' Day

Deconstructing Harry

Flubber

Good Will Hunting

What Dreams May Come

Patch Adams

Jakob the Liar 

Bicentennial Man

00s

One Hour Photo

Death to Smoochy 

Insomnia

The Final Cut

House of D

Robots

The Big White

The Night Listener

RV

Man of the Year

Night at the Museum

License to Wed

August Rush

World's Greatest Dad

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Old Dogs 

10s

Happy Feet Two

The Big Wedding

Lee Daniels' The Butler

The Face of Love

Boulevard

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

A Merry Friggin' Christmas

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

Absolutely Anything

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Carrey films

80s

Once Bitten

Earth Girls Are Easy

90s

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

The Mask

Dumb and Dumber

Batman Forever

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

The Cable Guy

Liar Liar

The Truman Show

Man on the Moon

00s

Me, Myself & Irene

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Majestic

Bruce Almighty

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Fun with Dick and Jane

The Number 23

Horton Hears a Who!

Yes Man

I Love You Phillip Morris

A Christmas Carol

10s

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Kick-Ass 2

Dumb and Dumber To

Dark Crimes

Sonic the Hedgehog

Actors do a lot of films don't they. Has anyone seen The Big Wedding? The Robin Williams film also starring Robert De Niro, Katherine Heigl, Amanda Seyfried, Susan Sarandon, Topher Grace?

Robin William's had a better career.

However he had a very diverse movie career , comedy's and serious - more so than jim Carrey. Jumanji and mrs doubtfire are two big favourites of mine.

However , I probably enjoy more of jim careys movies due to growing up with them. 

Both should have been more selective in the movies they made as those lists are pretty slim pickings. But Williams was definitely the better actor and had a more varied career. And if you have Fisher King and Good Will Hunting on you’re CV you ain’t done bad.

• Upvote 1

Yes, Williams has The Fisher King, which effortlessly shows his range as an actor.

Jim Carey can't really touch this. The closest he's been is Man on the Moon. A decent character career, no doubt, but he's struggled to lose the gurning funny guy image.

Does he even want to?

I never liked Jim Carrey, too OTT - but saw him on Stephen Colbert promoting Sonic in an unbelievably OTT fashion and realized he seemingly just lives to entertain people. (Or he’s utterly coked out of his mind all the time).

Anyway, I kind of respected the lengths he went to, to get people to have a good time.

Robin Williams was different. Maybe it’s because of his Larry Sanders appearance but I was always aware that he was using his shtick to deflect from something, like people who talk to avoid silence.

To get the correct result, you could have saved yourself a lot of effort and slimmed it down to:

Moscow on the Hudson / The World According to Garp

Vs

Me, Myself & Irene

The result is a draw, they’re all brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Jim Carey's career, for quite some time, was him exploiting that manic character which did really well for him, and when he broke away from that for films like The Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (his greatest performance for me) you could feel he was capable of more. Robin Williams had more range, he could take his brand of madcap to different places, he could also do grounded well, albeit in a rather mawkish fashion at times.

And so I went for Robin Williams.

Robin Williams had a range that Carrey can not approach. Able to move seamlessly from light hearted comedy to drama in a moment without missing a beat. Like that scene at the end of Good Morning Vietnam where he plays his schtick for a truck of newly arriving GIs as he departs. Or perfectly capturing the character in Jumanji, a man who has spent decades living a nightmare in a boardgame.

The problem is that he has done a lot of bilge as well. But when he was in the zone he was untouchable.

No offence to Carrey. A great entertainer and able to do drama as well. Just not at the same time.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

What a miserable waste of talent these two were. 

What the fuck.

Imagine not liking Robin Williams.

Just imagine it for a second.

What a joyless life.

• Upvote 1

This is not about who had the most range, who was the better actor, but just which chunk of films is better. 

I think they both had great careers, for stand up comics. Not sure what one would expect. Ace Ventura and The Mask were great vehicles for Carrey's comedy. Likewise The Genie was for Robin. There are other great stand ups like Chris Rock who never got even 5% of the material or opportunity. 

Hell there are the greatest actors of their generation who end up doing straight to DVD espionage CIA thrillers for years..at the same time goofy guy Carrey is landing The Truman Show with the great Peter Weir or Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind with the most inventive writer director partnership of the time. I just thought if I was gonna list filmographies I might as well list nearly everything ! Not exclude say The Butler just cos it's forgettable. Maybe people adore that film. Even on a recent Guardian 'best Carrey performances' list (Liar Liar as no.1) they reckon Mr Popper's Penguins is underated, not a sign we deserve to go exist as a species. 

I personally think Carrey's 90s list of films is flawless. But I even liked Dumb and Dumber To. I like Hook. I loved Robots! I'm happy something silly like Flubber exists. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I don't recall saying any of that. By waste of talent I'm referring to the staggering number of dismal films these two have made. 

I mean, that could be said of almost every decent actor there's ever been. 

In fact, I can't think of any actor who's not had their fair share of dross in their resumes...end of the day, it's a job and if the money's good you just go in and do the best you can. 

I like Toys.  I mean, it's a mess, but I can see what they were trying to do with it.

But by God, there is a lot of dreck on that list.  Both of them deserved much better.

I was surprised about the lack bad films on Carey's list actually. Batman Forever aside and ignoring the 80s ones I haven't seen, he was on a great roll until the mid to late 2000s. I Love You Phillip Morris and Yes Man are quite good fun even then saying that. The last 10 years have been a big flop, but I wouldn't say he's a wasted talent.

Is The Majestic any good? Ebert seemed to like it but it was apparently an absolute bomb. I'd never even heard of it.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Is The Majestic any good? Ebert seemed to like it but it was apparently an absolute bomb. I'd never even heard of it.

It was boring but pretty good. Reminded me of The Legend Of Bagger Vance - that kind of sepia-tinted Americana, but about a cinema.

My only problem is I can't believe Carrey's "genuine" face when he's acting.

20 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Could Jim Carrey play Robin Williams in a film about his life? Could work.

Maybe, he’s in an upcoming biopic of Bob Hoskins life so we’ll see how he does with that. 

4 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Carey's 80s list is missing The Dead Pool. :quote:

Is that the one where he’s on stage doing the Elvis impersonation?

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is that the one where he’s on stage doing the Elvis impersonation?

Nah that's probably The Mask. The Dead Pool is where he's basically playing Axel Rose by way of Motley Crue.

Young Liam Neeson as well!

31 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Nah that's probably The Mask. The Dead Pool is where he's basically playing Axel Rose by way of Motley Crue.

Young Liam Neeson as well!

Nah, it’s not the Mask! It’s a really small bit part, where the action ends up in a theatre and he’s on stage. I saw it years ago, but have never been able to remember which film it is.