IGNORED

Nintendo games leak of old prototypes.

pulsemyne

On 24/07/2020 at 23:05, Protocol Penguin said:

Confirms some fan theories that Nintendo sometimes designed and implemented games mechanics before later assigning characters/IP.

This isn't fan theory. 

Nintendo have acknowledged this in the Nintendo Land Iwata Asks, where they explain how the mini games came to be. Specifically Donkey Kong Crash Course started life as physics shapes and then was skinned to 1080 Snowboarding and finally Donkey Kong. 

Sure, but Nintendo Land's tricky as evidence for this as a minigame compilation game could easily be the exception: make 20 minigames for a Nintendo themed park, skin them with Nintendo licenses after. That's a bit more expected, I think. Luckily there are myriad examples of full games starting as concepts or gameplay/control prototypes and Nintendo applying their licenses to them afterward. The Miyamoto concepts for the WiiU that Nintendo made public, like Giant Robot and Flying, come to mind. 

Then there's tangential stuff like Dinosaur Planet becoming Starfox Adventures that illustrates their willingness to bolt a licence on much later. And SMB2 and DK: King Of Swing are examples of applying a license to an established franchise's gameplay; Doki Doki Panic and Clu Clu Land respectively. 

I always thought that Mario Vs Donkey Kong screamed of being a fully-realised concept that got an almost random franchise skin on much later. 'Toy Marios' is so left field. 

I always saw the Mario Vs Donkey Kong games as evolutions of the template laid down by Donkey Kong '94 (on Game Boy). It also introduced special moves that were later incorporated into SM64 and turned into a full blown puzzler reminiscent (to me at least) of the later GBA and DS vs. games.

I think a lot of these types of games owe a lot Lemmings, mostly.

Or Hyber Blob if you want to go back further.

The first Mario vs Donkey Kong game is basically a sequel to Donkey Kong 94 and I love them both dearly. The puzzle games that followed hold less interest for me.

On 25/07/2020 at 00:05, Protocol Penguin said:

Confirms some fan theories that Nintendo sometimes designed and implemented games mechanics before later assigning characters/IP.

This video adds further credence to a possible 'conspiracy' surrounding Nintendo, Plok and Yoshi's Island.

I've seen quite a few gaming journalists cautious about sharing/posting about the leaks, and I can understand them.

Prototypes, lost projects, alternate takes on well-known games? Yes, that's good to see.

Financial details, internal emails, personal data - definitely not to be shared.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2020 at 11:59, Myshkin said:

omg official GQ2 GB official Eng!! I was obsessed with the original. time to whip out the everdrive :wub:

OMFG it actually works!!! It's an official US sequel to one of my favourite games from literally 3 decades ago! So many memories of that game, those gorgeous B&W gfx and that time of my life. What a time to be alive :omg:

EDIT: Does anyone have a copy of Gargoyle's Quest 2 Jpn that they want to sell?

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Remember that hoax image of a leaked prototype NX/Switch back in April 2016? Perhaps it wasn’t so far from the truth after all.

Thats kinda nuts - i remember that 'leak' that looks identical to that. I wonder if leaks of proto-type consoles get purposely leaked to throw people off scent

On 17/09/2020 at 23:00, Protocol Penguin said:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5702/

This game got translated!

Im excited to see what full games people make out of the leaked demos/prototypes!

On 22/12/2020 at 12:28, Protocol Penguin said:

Remember that hoax image of a leaked prototype NX/Switch back in April 2016? Perhaps it wasn’t so far from the truth after all.

It was already shown as a patent so that’s why the fake looks so close.

I wouldn't get too excited about that "Switch" image, the only reason it mentions the Switch is to explain that's where the screenshot was lifted from. It seems to be discussing what size of all-screen handheld would be plausible given the power constraints (Nintendo signed a deal with Sharp to explore their free-form display technology around that time.)