rllmuk

Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

can you imagine how funny it would be if the Series S outsold the X by a country mile because of things like DLSS Not needing games to be 4K and therefore managing 60fps too? 

It's probably what they expect. Phil Spencer endlessly said that the oneS would outsell the OneX, after all. 

24 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

That might be confusing: I guess I’m saying that the 4K/1080p gap is the only reason that the Series S exists. Microsoft aren’t going to obliterate that. The two versions of the game will be like a movie on a Blu-ray and a UHD Blu-ray. Same content, different fidelity.

If you use DLSS to obliterate that gap suddenly it’s more like DVD and VHS. Same resolution, enormous image quality difference.

Perhaps a DLSS a like from 1080p to 4k for the X and 540p to 1080p for the S.

Microsoft are heavily invested in AI and gave a talk on AI upscaling a couple of years ago. I would suspect they will be ahead of Sony on getting a console solution together. Plus they have the resources in Azure to generate the required neural nets.

You know that hadn’t even occurred to me. Yeah, you could take the Series S down to some really low res as well.

I don’t think we’ll see any of this until the mid-generation refreshes at the earliest though.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think we’ll see any of this until the mid-generation refreshes at the earliest though.

Aye. Like Uzi said, it has taken Nvidia who are right at the cutting edge of all this a few years to get it sorted, so everyone else is going to be trying to catch up to DLSS 2.0 for the next few years.

I wonder if Nvidia's discussions to buy ARM from Softbank end up going ahead they might be in with a shout at the next gen of consoles given that ARM emulation of x86 is coming on leaps and bounds.

Sounds like the multiplayer paywall is going at Xbox...

I'd imagine they plan to announce it later this month at the next event which is expected around the third week of August.

20 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I don't believe that they're scrapping gold at all. Ultimate is part of their messaging, they just added xcloud into it.

I think its wishful thinking.

Actually, I think xCloud/Xbox Game Streaming being added to Ultimate in September gives credence to the rumour, as it would essentially be taking Gold's place in terms of the value proposition.

I do think they'll drop the online paywall, if only because there's no way they could introduce one on PC. I guess you sell the move to investors by pointing to the potential extra revenue cut Microsoft will be getting from a presumed influx of new players buying skins/hats/seasonal passes.

Not sure what they'd do about the legacy of GwG. Maybe require an active Game Pass subscription to play any of those titles you 'own'?

PS5.

The Sony exclusives have always been more appealing to me. So far we know of Tokyo Ghost Wire and Demon's Souls. And the FFVII Remake series will be continued exclusively on PS5 as well I suppose.

But frankly, I won't be getting a next gen console until the first revision - something which I've been doing since the PS3 era. Paying through the nose for hardware that might still have some some problems, and a games library that's typically sub-standard, just isn't worth it.

8 minutes ago, Clipper said:

DLSS? youy'll be lucky if it has HDR :D

If it's built by NVidia like the existing Switch hardware, it has a surprising chance of featuring AI Hardware in it . I mean, look at the Jetson SBC. NVidia always likes to push proprietary means to do clever shit (like G-Sync).

Anything powered by AMD (PS5 and Series S or X) would require some solution driven by software to make Ray-tracing and Machine Learning Supersampling the actual norm, like Microsoft's DirectML and equivalents (Vulkan ML perhaps). At least, I'd hope so, otherwise PC ports are going to be scuffed and reliant on some bullshit.

• Upvote 1

Sorry! Layman's terms: DLSS is a new NVidia hardware thing. The current Switch uses older NVidia hardware.

Both Sony and Microsoft are not using NVidia hardware. To do the same stuff, they have to rely on other ways to do the same thing. They already have to do it with Ray-Tracing, so it's more a matter of time than anything else!

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, layten said:

Imagine the lols we are going to have when the successor to the switch comes with DLSS and games look better than either home console. 

Didn't Nintendo say the Switch was at least going to have an 8-year run?

58 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Didn't Nintendo say the Switch was at least going to have an 8-year run?

So if it stays nvidia then it will almost certainly have DLSS whatever price point the tackle because it’ll be cheap ass old tech by then

DLSS is a technology that uses processing units on the graphics chip that are put there specifically for ray tracing and ML. They can’t be reused in Nvidias stack for rendering, and have to be a deliberate choice to trade off die space and size for the feature.

i don’t know that:

- it’ll be cheap as chips (it adds cost over a rendering only solution)

- its the kind of thing Nintendo are likely to prioritise for a switch v2.

It’s something that isn’t a great fit for a mobile device, but if they wanted a cheap and convenient way to make all Switch games play at 4K maybe it’d be a nice thing to work in to a new dock. Of course then the question is whether nVidia has any interest in doing a standalone DLSS scaler.

27 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It’s something that isn’t a great fit for a mobile device, but if they wanted a cheap and convenient way to make all Switch games play at 4K maybe it’d be a nice thing to work in to a new dock. Of course then the question is whether nVidia has any interest in doing a standalone DLSS scaler.

Or if NVidia ends up stuffing it into a newer Shield TV product between now and the remainder of the Switch's lifecycle. Which then gets repurposed for the Switch, because effectively that's what the Switch is.

• Upvote 1

Being a repurposed mobile chipset might’ve contributed to the console’s popularity with developers, and the availability of ports. Why add R&D, manufacturing and development costs when you don’t need to?