Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm somewhat mystified as to why people are intending to jump onto Series X right away because of Game Pass. Apart from the first party titles I'm not sure you'll get Series X requiring games on the service for quite a while after the console launches, so I'd imagine it'll be about a year before it's a real benefit to having a new console for it.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm somewhat mystified as to why people are intending to jump onto Series X right away because of Game Pass. Apart from the first party titles I'm not sure you'll get Series X requiring games on the service for quite a while after the console launches, so I'd imagine it'll be about a year before it's a real benefit to having a new console for it.

It's not "does the game require the console to run at all", it's "does the game run better if I... so will I get the most out of my subscription if I buy it now".

See also:

- Anyone buying an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro.

- Anyone buying a PC that's more powerful than an ultrabook.

• Upvote 1

It's probably because I have a One X already (not an upgrade, but my first one) so I'm not sure there'd be much benefit in current games. Maybe the ones this year if they patch them well.

25 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Anyway, you’ve conveniently not factored in buying games after release when they’re cheaper or buying in sales, or buying 2nd hand!

After the holiday like “experience” is over.......I have a physical copy in my hand. On a subscription service.......I have nothing in my hand. 

I literally wrote a whole paragraph explicitly about buying games when they're cheaper/second hand, with an actual example. It's right there in your quote.

Also I don't think you've grasped the holiday metaphor. You don't return from a holiday with anything of equal tangible value, but that doesn't mean the experience wasn't worth it. The 'holiday', in this instance, is the period of time you spend subscribing to the service. You might have nothing to show for it, but you still got the experience of playing the games, which for me comes secondary to the privilege of ownership.

I only 'own' games to play them, if I can play them without owning them then it doesn't matter.

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

It's probably because I have a One X already (not an upgrade, but my first one) so I'm not sure there'd be much benefit in current games. Maybe the ones this year if they patch them well.

Machine-learning powered backwards compatible HDR for Xbox One / 360 / Xbox games is there at launch, isn't it?

Plus 120fps support.

As an owner of an LG OLED that can do 120fps and HDR I'll be keeping an eye on how that shakes out on launch day.

This has been an interesting discussion to follow because my gut reaction was not to be interested in a Series X, but I was interested in a PS5.

I only have a Switch and an ageing PC. The PC is too old to upgrade to any kind of decent gaming machine and I can't be bothered with the faff anyway. I love my Switch but now my fiancee is playing it a lot more so it makes sense to have another decent system.

I think the last console I was 'day 1' for was the Dreamcast. So, it's quite exciting to get something new. 

The reason I warmed to PS5 was exclusives, but actually more the ones I've missed so far. I'm not sure of anything on the Xbox that I wasn't able to play but wanted to. But being able to replay the Last Guardian, or the Shadow of the Colossus remake  for example might be the clincher on its own.

But now I'm concerned about whether the games I'm after playing will actually be compatible at all. I could just buy a PS4 if that's what it was about, but finally having a brand new actually next gen console would be a novelty I've not had in years and years.

Game pass does seem attractive but I'm not sure that an overwhelming choice of things that might disappear is actually that attractive. No doubt it's a good deal, but i'm not sure a financial saving is enough to decide which games I can and can't play. 

25 minutes ago, Benny said:

Loads of people bought a One X or Ps4 Pro at launch despite there being hardly any patched games. A Series X makes a lot more sense than either of those upgrades.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Loads of people bought a One X or Ps4 Pro at launch despite there being hardly any patched games. A Series X makes a lot more sense than either of those upgrades.

A decision I would have questioned then too for that exact reason.

34 minutes ago, Benny said:

The first party titles are still a draw for me, and there will definitely be new games out on a regular basis. Even if they're on the One X as well, they'll still likely run better on the Series X.

Just now, Alex W. said:

The PS4 Pro didn’t even have a boost mode for unoptimised titles to start off with. They ran exactly the same as they did on the original model.

I always assumed the benefit of the Pro would be 60fps frame rates to give PS gamers a taste of PC quality in so many games that could have benefitted. But in practice it's been a barely noticeable 1440p slight bump on most games at the same 30fps as the base one trucks along.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

I always assumed the benefit of the Pro would be 60fps frame rates to give PS gamers a taste of PC quality in so many games that could have benefitted. But in practice it's been a barely noticeable 1440p slight bump on most games at the same 30fps as the base one trucks along.

I don’t think there was enough of a CPU boost for that. It was, what, 2 of the GPUs, about a 50% faster CPU and buses, and maybe 25% more RAM? And a slightly newer version of the GPU architecture. ;) 

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

Yeah, the jump was *much* more pronounced for the One X, simply because the original Bone was more underpowered and it was significantly more powerful than the Pro.

PS5 at " some stage "  will be my first.  I might even get the Digital Only one sooner if it is only 350 quid like people keep surmising.

plus I suppose the new Horizon Dawn game will kick arse.

Why?  because I believe my PC will run most things that Microsoft Game Studios will throw at me. For a bit a least.

I mean ( and yes its not a Microsoft game ) if Cyberpunk is  A) Brilliant  and B) Running really well on my PC - then there's no incentive to bother yet.

Especially if the new Forza game(s) run well too!

Just now, Benny said:

Basically it was a con job.

More charitably, they set out to do a mid-gen console on a specific budget and no plans for a unique selling point. 4K was so obviously not on the cards for the design.

4 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Drive Club was the game I bought with my PS4, and it was so shit, I wondered why I had bothered.  Fortunately I'd picked it up used, not new.

I was furious with myself for not plumping for the Bone and Forza Horizon 2.

The Drive Club launch being so bad was what got me to pick up a Bone and (the far superior) FH 2. I remember making a video of how much fun DC was to play online in those early weeks.

If Sony come out and say that their first-party big-hitters are getting next-gen patches with 60fps and other bells and whistles, that'll probably sell me a PS5.

Don't get me started on Driveclub.  I know its improved and has a LOT of love at Rllmuk towers.

But i can't wash the first time i loaded it up and started playing it from my head.  It was like trying to drive one of those low loader  trolleys that you wheel round a DIY store.

- At least No Man's Sky was fairly loveable when that Prematurely got released :lol:

18 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Don't get me started on Driveclub.  I know its improved and has a LOT of love at Rllmuk towers.

But i can't wash the first time i loaded it up and started playing it from my head.  It was like trying to drive one of those low loader  trolleys that you wheel round a DIY store.

- At least No Man's Sky was fairly loveable when that Prematurely got released :lol:

I didn't actually find it played very much differently when I tried it years later, despite people telling me that it was basically a different game now.

It just isn't my thing at all.  Which is odd - I love most arcade racers.

• Upvote 1

Without us going into a crazy Driveclub rabbit hole, it's my understanding that they tried to release a Ridge-Racer style game mixed with Project Cars.

The controls weren't for everyone. Do you remember what happened if you so much as went near the grass...( pre-patching of course )

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Everything will load quicker thanks to the SSD and theres that quick resume stuff where you can switch between games quicker. 

Not worth €600 on its own but it'll still be a better box to use day to day. 

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

I literally wrote a whole paragraph explicitly about buying games when they're cheaper/second hand, with an actual example. It's right there in your quote.

Also I don't think you've grasped the holiday metaphor. You don't return from a holiday with anything of equal tangible value, but that doesn't mean the experience wasn't worth it. The 'holiday', in this instance, is the period of time you spend subscribing to the service. You might have nothing to show for it, but you still got the experience of playing the games, which for me comes secondary to the privilege of ownership.

I only 'own' games to play them, if I can play them without owning them then it doesn't matter.

So you did! Need to stop pulling all nighters on Ghost of Tsushima, I’m feeling knackered! Hahaha.

With regards to the whole holiday thing........I”m not sure how it’s even relevant or is supposed to make sense. You can’t own a physical copy of a holiday! Lol.

You can currently buy and own a physical copy of a game or buy and own a digital download of a game. Or you can rent it via a subscription service. They all offer the exact same “experience” of playing through the game but by buying a physical copy, you actually own the game and have something you can play/lend/sell whenever you want and the other you don’t. You’re just ultimately paying more for less. Its more relevant to say it’s like renting a house vs buying a house. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2
2 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

After the holiday like “experience” is over.......I have a physical copy in my hand. On a subscription service.......I have nothing in my hand. 

After the holiday experience is over you're left holding a plastic disc and the guy with the subscription service is downloading the next game to play.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

This is how they get Series X owners to spend serious cash - they want the best console, they want Gamepass for all the games, and then they’ll buy another two or three games anyway which show off the new features. 

One thing I do think is nice, although possibly suicidal, is bringing Destiny 2 to the system at 4K 60 with all the content included. But considering it looks gorgeous compared to Halo and is made by Bungie, perhaps foolish launching them side by side. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Revival said:

After the holiday experience is over you're left holding a plastic disc and the guy with the subscription service is downloading the next game to play.

Nah, I’ve lent it to my mate who gets to play it for free and I’ve borrowed one of the other games I’ve wanted to play off him for free! I can then do the same with other mates and eventually sell it (or I might keep it) and spend the money on another game or music gear or.........going on holiday for the experience. Lol.

• Empathy 1

Only buying the one console next generation same as this generation and that will be Playstation. Mainly because of the exclusive & more importantly we have spent quite a bit in PS4 digital library which I would like to play some of again on PS5 especially the titles the kids enjoy.

On 25/07/2020 at 20:50, Isaac said:

10 million Game Pass subs = £1.1 billion annual recurring revenue.

Yes, many people will be using the £1 offer, but Microsoft will still be booking that and accounting it as £1.1 billion annual recurring revenue.

Do you have a game pass subscription?

I think it's becoming increasingly clear in this thread that there isn't really an understanding of the value of Game Pass amongst people that don't actually have it - people seem to think it's purely MS first party titles and small indie games, for some reason.

This year on Game Pass I have played:

Forza Horizon 4

Red Dead Redemption 2

Kingdom Hearts 1 + 2 HD

Ace Combat 7

The Witcher 3

Outer Wilds

Hollow Knight 

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Banjo Tooie

Untitled Goose Game

Tacoma

Prey

Deliver Us The Moon

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

The Gardens Between

Slay the Spire

Moving Out

Streets of Rage 4

Overcooked 2

Two Point Hospital (on PC)

Gears Tactics (on PC)

Ori and the Blind Forest

Lonely Mountains: Downhill

Yakuza Zero

Yakuza Kiwami

The value is actually insane. I just installed Carrion to try later, and I have my eye on trying Subnautica next too. I'm cautiously eyeing up No Mans Sky as a game I'm vaguely interested in. I haven't even started on the Halo MC collection.

It's the most compelling value proposition in games right now, and literally the only reason I think it's not more popular is that people that don't own an Xbox aren't aware of the depth and breadth of what is available on there for what is a relatively small amount of money each month.

I actually said it was great value.  I just think it won't threaten Sony and Nintendo all that much for the reasons I stated earlier. We'll see though.

There are so many games there though, where do you start?

Does it end up being a monthly rolling cost where in reality you never get to play much other than  two or three games from that list  in the allotted time you have to play games?