IGNORED

Anyone else unable to game tired / drunk

CovisGod

I’m my own worst enemy when it comes to gaming, every time I go to play something and feel in the least bit tired or if I’ve had a drink I’ve got it in my head that “I’ll miss something” or “not be at peak performance”, which would be fine except 95% of my life is spent either tired or drunk....So the majority of the time I have to game is spent convincing myself that I’m not up to gaming and I’ll wait until I’m next off work and free, which never happens....

I’m a bit mad aren’t I? I also can’t ever go back to a game after a length of time lay-off, if I’ve started an RPG a year ago, got 10 hours in and got bored, I can’t then pick it up and carry on from where I left off, I have to start all over again in case there’s something I’ve forgotten or I get myself lost,

Maybe I’m just getting to old for gaming :blah:

I absolutely can't do it, but at the same time I think there's something amusingly futile about bashing my head against a Destiny Nightfall with one other player whilst it's approaching 1am and I didn't even get much sleep the night before...

At other times it's just apathy - I can be sober and (relatively) awake, but won't be able to motivate myself into doing a dungeon crawl or lengthy shooter mission, because I'd much rather play something more immediately fun like Wario Ware Inc :blush: 

Haven't played a thing since around Christmas. Get to the end of the day and I just feel too tired. Still have Astrobot &RE 2 sat ready to start, let alone anything released this year. Thought about booting original Halo up yesterday but it didn't happen.

You can ask @PinkMoon about my drunken gaming performance. 

I went through a stage of playing tell tale games On a Friday night with a few drinks . I used to fire it up the following Friday and be utterly bewildered as to where I was in the story or what was happening . 

I had a good few months off the booze before lockdown and was enjoying some late night gaming, up til midnight on a work night was very very rare previously but I was enjoying it. Wife in bed by ten, couple of hours with the headphones on, happy days. Then lockdown, work, family stuff, life became a mother fucker and I started having a couple of beers of an evening. On the upside, in bed most nights by ten, conked out. Downside, falling asleep with the Switch and and restarting the same chapter of FFX, Steins; Gate, AI:Somnium or whatever every time. 

The more tired I am, the less tolerant I tend to be of games and their bullshit. There are definitely some games I've ragequit/uninstalled/couldn't be bothered with that, had I been less tired, I would have stuck with. 

Gaming drunk, however (or, if not drunk, then well-oiled) is great. Some of my greatest gaming memories are of me completing some of my favourite ever games in the wee small hours after a few beers/whiskies, TLOU2 being a recent example.

I’m not really any slower on Gran Turismo after a couple of drinks, but I’ve noticed it really opens everything up and I start noticing all of the scenery in the background. The weirdest one is Sardegna Circuit which is full of huge windmills but I’d never noticed until I played drunk.

I play online shooters drinking/drunk and am not actually too bad but usually have to use a  LMG with big magazines, semi auto/bolt action rifles not so good! I think it makes you 'braver' aswell and not as scared about getting killed, for me anyway

Tiredness is my enemy in general, and I become really grumpy and just don't enjoy games when tired. 

When the Switch launched, mine arrived at 10pm after a DPD tracking nightmare, I set up the console, put Zelda in and went to bed knowing I'd enjoy it more when fresh the next day. 

I've never been a big drinker so can't comment on that aspect. 

1 hour ago, JamesTW said:

I play online shooters drinking/drunk and am not actually too bad but usually have to use a  LMG with big magazines, semi auto/bolt action rifles not so good! I think it makes you 'braver' aswell and not as scared about getting killed, for me anyway

The pool rule. You'll have a few drinks and seven ball someone off the break, then spend the rest of the night gradually getting drunk and worse chasing the same now impossible outcome. The next day you wake up with a fuzzy head only remembering the seven ball and conveniently forgetting all the pocketed whites and drunken throws, convinced that the sauce made you Paul Newman.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

I am amazing at Destiny after a few drinks. :coffee:

Oh aye, amazing. You either quit because somethings too hard or burst into some bloody Bros which, to be fair, is glorious but not amazing.

I love you all the same, though.

Right, I've started updating the Xbox and am looking to get a few rounds of MW in before sleep. Just 3.8g and then whatever updates MW has had since December. Probably another 40g for MW, then...

Close...92gb

Not even the option to play a few rounds of TDM. What a fun evening ahead.

Years ago in my mid 20s I loved nothing more than an all night session on Tekken 2 and Wipeout 2097 with a mate. Throw in as much Scotch, beer and pharmaceuticals as you like. Two player link up on Wipeout at 3am was as good as any warehouse rave (well nearly).

Jump forward to tonight and I've ate a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner, took my vits, had a fab sleep last night and had a nice few hours on a couple of sweet games. But about an hour ago I thought I'd have an arl Chivas Regal or two (yeah it's not an 18 year old Glenfiddich but it's a Monday and I save that shit for a Wednesday).

Fucking hell I'm bushed. Don't want to touch my joypad (and to be clear this can happen if I have a drink in the afternoon and sleep isn't a factor), just want to either snort something and put my headphones on and try energize myself or what will actually happen...go to bed.

So yeah, I can't drink and game anymore. Have a couple of drinks and gaming seems too much of a psychological effort.

Miss my youth.

I don't know whether it's exactly what this thread is going for, but:

In the last few years I've been developing a tiredness problem. There's probably a medical cause - I probably need to sort my body out - I'm middle-aged and overweight. GP hasn't told me I'm pre-diabetic... yet... but I'm already working on thyroid issues, kidney issues, things that can make you feel run down. Anyway, the point is that I get super tired and need to take a nap in the evening, even though my day job isn't very physically or mentally taxing.

This is starting to really piss me off because that's the chunk of time that I should spend playing videogames. Once I wake from the nap I feel a bit shitty and grumpy and don't want to play anything, I just want to be a zombie until I go to bed for real.

I am useless at gaming when drunk or over-tired. Had some fun times gaming whilst partaking of other recreational substances though. Favourite one of those was going to an all night rave at Beaverworks in Leeds and finding that they had a Prop Cycle arcade cabinet. The cab has a fan built into it so you can feel the breeze on your sky bike. When on various stimulants, the feeling of flying that bike into all of the balloons with the wind hitting you was damn near transcendental. If they'd had Afterburner Climax I probably would have climaxed.