Is it Balearic?

Art Vandelay

13 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

How about something a bit more modern? This one's for the daytime sunshine, though it might work early in your evening set to get feet shuffling and bodies swaying.

Mark Bardott - The Pathways of Our Lives (2017 - International Feel)

Mark Barrott is so good. I implore everyone to listen to his two Sketches From an Island and Nature Sounds of the Balearics if they haven't heard them. 

13 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

Here a couple of sun soaked beauties 

Love those. The second one reminds me of Durutti Column, who I nearly posted yesterday. I have no idea if they were played in Ibiza but the time period and the vibe fits.

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never seen that before. While Berkshire has never featured on my list of rave hotspots it does cover Venus which was very influential on the Derby clubs I went to. And the soundtrack features this great tune, which can only be described as Balearic:

Reminds me so much of waking on my friend’s floor wondering what was gonna happen next. 

Things took a turn for the Balearic today. Drove past a vineyard in Kent and decided to pop in for a drink. They’d seemingly flown this dude in from the White Isle to drop some knowledge on the attended wealth management consultants and other baffled patrons. Sade remixes, Gipsy King edits and Lovelee Dae by Blaze whilst he joyfully beat away at his bongos. The judge from Bake Off Professionals is swaying her hips for some reason. Either a transcendent experience or I’m having a stroke.

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Things took a turn for the Balearic today. Drove past a vineyard in Kent and decided to pop in for a drink. They’d seemingly flown this dude in from the White Isle to drop some knowledge on the attended wealth management consultants and other baffled patrons. Sade remixes, Gipsy King edits and Lovelee Dae by Blaze whilst he joyfully beat away at his bongos. The judge from Bake Off Professionals is swaying her hips for some reason. Either a transcendent experience or I’m having a stroke.

image.jpeg

Extra points for the bongos. 

I didn’t understand Sade first time around. Then I fell in love with a girl who liked Sade and those afternoons spent in bed listening to the smoothest or smooth me it all made sense. Her band put a record out, Sweetback, it was pretty good.  

From the bbe website...

Way back in 1981, two musicians got together to make a record. Mike Collins played guitar and had just bought a Roland CR78 – the first programmable drum machine. Keith O’Connell played Fender Rhodes piano and Prophet 5 synthesizer. Excited about the quirky and unusual instrumental track they’d composed, when the duo entered London’s Utopia Studios to finish off their creation, neither could have predicted what was to follow… Now viewed by many as one of the most influential early electronic dance records, ‘Rude Movements’ was swiftly picked up on by David Mancuso, who used it to devastating effect at his infamous ‘Loft Parties’, in turn introducing it to Larry Levan, Frankie Knuckles, David Morales and Kenny Dope, a group of young DJs who would go on to write the blueprint for dance music as we know it.