Pixar's Luca (Now on Disney+)

JohnC

I enjoyed this, a perfectly pleasant film with good humour that was just fun. It's not up there for me with Pixars best, infact on my letterboxd list I've actually got it at 16 out of 21 (I've still not seen the Cars Trilogy), but thats because I still hold the Pixar films with esteem. Unlike some who seem to rag on Pixar a lot these days, I personally still really love a lot of their stuff with only Monsters University, Brave and The Good Dinosaur the only films in the last decade I've not really liked.

Was a lovely film to watch with the kids, who loved it. 

3/5

It's delightful. I don't know how much i care for that though. I'm not finding Pixar an antidote like some do, clearly they're still a cut above other cgi animation studios. I just think of Over The Hedge (still..75% on rotten tomatoes) whenever i think of all the churned out wise cracking furry animal cgi animations released in the mid 00s and when you compare Luca to that it's like Pixar are using a different medium, operating in a different realm, things like beauty and poignancy permeate every frame of their films while tacky crassness is just mostly all you get from other studios. And I've liked some more, Despicable Me, Zootropia, they are funny, well written and bring the emotion, but Pixar still reach for beauty in a way others don’t. 

There's an argument to be made that Inside Out, Coco, Soul and Luca represent the best of Pixar, more mature and refined, like a band 25 years in on their 10th album who don't need to try to express who they are because they're so comfortable doing what they do it comes so naturally. 

But I do think Pixar have settled into a formula of well crafted quality that doesn't strive for more, it's something about how small scale they are, their early films weren't really. Toy Story took you to places, well an arcade and Sid's bedroom but it felt massive. A Bugs Life had scale, i never liked it much mind you. The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Wall E, Up. It's with the sequels from Monsters University where they began to feel more closed in, didn't quite suggest a bigger world beyond as before. When every superhero film and blockbuster is a loud forceful aliens destroying the world with their magical emerald plot, it is nice in contrast to that. That Pixar are focusing on character and simplicity, going more Ghibli. 

I actually think Luca had more humour than other recent Pixar, it mined fish again like in Finding Nemo (don't know how else to phrase that) and the 

Spoiler

cat scenes at dinner and in the boat had me laughing, as did Luca's mum kicking kids into the water. 

The ending is hard on the eyes. But then i thought Onward was too and i get why people are nonplussed by that film. 

Despite the quality and care and artistry every new Pixar film to me is just a 6/10. I enjoy them, laugh a bit, am moved, but never really excited. They bring in new voices as new directors, go to new worlds, yet always feel the same, always fine tuned the same. Their next release is Turning Red, about a girl who turns into a giant red panda when she gets excited. In a way, Lightyear, released after, the Buzz Lightyear origin story has me more intrigued even though it's recycling Toy Story again. 

Really needed some songs, there were a few moments where I thought we might get some but nope, decent Pixar effort and surprised it did not get the Disney Premier Tax.

9 hours ago, gospvg said:

Really needed some songs, there were a few moments where I thought we might get some but nope, decent Pixar effort and surprised it did not get the Disney Premier Tax.

Pixars don't really have songs though do they.

I've been thinking about this today, and it felt very Studio Ghibli inspired with its setting and story and I feel like I should have liked it more due to that. But what I think lets it down is that it straight up copies a lot of stuff we've seen before in other films such as The Little Mermaid, Splash, Ponyo and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (the design of the girls dad). Some may say it's taking inspiration from these but to me they felt like direct copies. I also think the young antagonist was fairly generic and boring.

I really loved the line near the end

Spoiler

“Some people, they’ll never accept him. But some will. And he knows how to find the good ones.“

It showed a level of maturity beyond your run of the mill coming of age movie. I couldn't help but see the film as a metaphor for growing up gay, trans, minority or otherwise "different" in a rural locale and having to fight for opportunities and acceptance. Viewing it through that lens had me really invested in the story by the end and I loved the whole

Spoiler

race sequence, when the rain started and Luca had to choose in that moment to reveal his true nature, which I saw as a metaphor for coming out.

12 hours ago, Loik V credern said:
  Reveal hidden contents

cat scenes at dinner and in the boat had me laughing, as did Luca's mum kicking kids into the water. 

In a way, Lightyear, released after, the Buzz Lightyear origin story has me more intrigued even though it's recycling Toy Story again. 

Not wanting to derail this thread, but I’m uncommonly annoyed by the idea of a Buzz Lightyear origin story. 

The whole point in the original Toy Story is that he’s a board room approved mass market toy, with a generic, paper thin backstory to flog him in adverts. The humour derived from the fact he think that’s all true. 

The idea he needs a damn prequel, in the way that Han Solo got one, Cruella de Ville got one, and even Willy bleeding Wonka, is a bit depressing. 

At least those characters are *actual characters* in their world, though, unlike Buzz Lightyear. Unless they come up with something really smart, it’s just going to be a bit rubbish, isn’t it?

If they played it smart, the Buzz Lightyear origin story would have Buzz not uttering one single word throughout the entire thing. Instead it's about the human characters who created the concept.

Who are we kidding though, will just be Buzz flying around yapping his catchphrase

Quite a few Ghibli references. Its definitely has roots in the Calarts style but its a wonderful, light hearted romp in comparison to previous Pixar films which are emotional rollercoasters.

You guys do realise the Buzz Lightyear figure is based off of a cartoon within the Toy Story world right? The Lightyear film is basically going to be that. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but he does already have an origin, like Woody did with Woodys Roundup (fuck they're gonna do a Woodies Roundup film aren't they).

I enjoyed Luca. Good fun, touching ending, lovely setting, looks great. But I also think it's pretty forgettable. Which if I'm honest has become true of much of Pixar's output. I think they've crafted some great moments that stick with me (bits of Up, Wall-E, Soul) but overall it's all become quite familiar.

21 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I enjoyed Luca. Good fun, touching ending, lovely setting, looks great. But I also think it's pretty forgettable. Which if I'm honest has become true of much of Pixar's output. I think they've crafted some great moments that stick with me (bits of Up, Wall-E, Soul) but overall it's all become quite familiar.

Its why I enjoyed Luca so much, it wasn't as deep and introspective but aimed at just being fun. 

On 20/06/2021 at 16:16, Moz said:

I really loved the line near the end

Reveal hidden contents

“Some people, they’ll never accept him. But some will. And he knows how to find the good ones.“

It showed a level of maturity beyond your run of the mill coming of age movie. I couldn't help but see the film as a metaphor for growing up gay, trans, minority or otherwise "different" in a rural locale and having to fight for opportunities and acceptance. Viewing it through that lens had me really invested in the story by the end and I loved the whole

Hide contents

race sequence, when the rain started and Luca had to choose in that moment to reveal his true nature, which I saw as a metaphor for coming out.

No so much a metaphor, Pixar aren't exactly subtle.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watched this with my two (11 and 13) after getting outvoted on a couple of occasions for more mature fare. 

We all thought it was great. I know some people always expect Toy Story 3 levels of amazingness and spiritual enlightenment from Pixar, but I’m happy when you can just watch a film, and at the end, say, “well that was lovely, wasn’t it?”

It was lovely. And films like that which are a surrogate for a holiday in a warm climate are very welcome right now, too. 

On 21/06/2021 at 14:25, thesnwmn said:

I enjoyed Luca. Good fun, touching ending, lovely setting, looks great. But I also think it's pretty forgettable.

I'll tell you what, it isn't forgettable when your 4 year old has already watched it 3 times in the space of week!😂

On 20/06/2021 at 00:45, Stigweard said:

I enjoyed this, a perfectly pleasant film with good humour that was just fun. It's not up there for me with Pixars best, infact on my letterboxd list I've actually got it at 16 out of 21 (I've still not seen the Cars Trilogy), but thats because I still hold the Pixar films with esteem. Unlike some who seem to rag on Pixar a lot these days, I personally still really love a lot of their stuff with only Monsters University, Brave and The Good Dinosaur the only films in the last decade I've not really liked.

Was a lovely film to watch with the kids, who loved it. 

3/5

I used to dislike Brave but I've watched it a few times with my daughter and I think it's fantastic now. 

48 minutes ago, Darwock said:

He has a thing for human junk.

He’s forging an identity for himself in the absence of a parental/guardian figure. 

Liked this one a lot. Even if it did seem a bit like Pixar throwing in ideas from the big Pixar ideas bin.

How could anyone not like Brave?