rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Hanzo the Razor

Remember Late Night Horror Films on Terrestrial TV?

Pretty much the same as you but with dollops of moviedrome, loads of kaiju movies. Though I didn't have Sky so my Uncle would record the Halloween movie marathons for me. 

Though I was also quite lucky in that I had access to loads of banned horror movies on VHS due to a friend in my village using mailing lists and supplying me with many delights of 70's and 80's Italian and American horror movies. 

I had seen  the entire video nasty list by the time I was 15.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Pretty much the same as you but with dollops of moviedrome, loads of kaiju movies. Though I didn't have Sky so my Uncle would record the Halloween movie marathons for me. 

Though I was also quite lucky in that I had access to loads of banned horror movies on VHS due to a friend in my village using mailing lists and supplying me with many delights of 70's and 80's Italian and American horror movies. 

I had seen  the entire video nasty list by the time I was 15.

I remember answering an add in The Dark Side and the guy sending me a hand written list of the Video Nasties he was selling. I couldn't afford any of them but loved reading the titles.

I also first saw The Thing on Sky Movies one Halloween. It has become a yearly Halloween staple for the wife and me.

• Upvote 1

I can directly trace my love of horror movies to watching John Carpenter's The Fog on late night TV with the volume so low I could barely hear it when I was about 9 years old.

Thanks for reminding me of that. It's a great memory (and movie).

• Upvote 2

On 31/07/2020 at 10:21, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I can directly trace my love of horror movies to watching John Carpenter's The Fog on late night TV with the volume so low I could barely hear it when I was about 9 years old.

Thanks for reminding me of that. It's a great memory (and movie).

Speaking of John Carpenter, seeing Prince of Darkness on late night Channel 4 was a seminal moment for me. Still one of my favourites. I've had the Region 2 DVD but now have the US Bluray version. I've just remembered that my mate and me (Not the rocket fuel scrumpy making one) bought a double bill VHS of Halloween and Halloween 2 at a local petrol station for a tenner at about two in the morning one night. We spent the rest of the night/morning getting pished and watching both in between lengthy bouts of playing the Saturn version of Wipeout!

• Upvote 1

Way back at the start of the satellite TV era Sky used to have a show on Friday nights called The Deadly Earnest Horror Show. An English show, not the Australian one from the 70s. It was hosted by an old vampire guy and his pretty sidekick, they'd crack some jokes then show a horror film. I can remember watching lots of stuff on that.

Good article here on it and a list of the films they showed. http://arfonjones.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-deadly-ernest-horror-show.html

On 31/07/2020 at 10:27, Silent Runner said:

Way back at the start of the satellite TV era Sky used to have a show on Friday nights called The Deadly Earnest Horror Show. An English show, not the Australian one from the 70s. It was hosted by an old vampire guy and his pretty sidekick, they'd crack some jokes then show a horror film. I can remember watching lots of stuff on that.

Good article here on it and a list of the films they showed. http://arfonjones.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-deadly-ernest-horror-show.html

That reminds me of Dr Terror on late night Friday on BBC1! They showed the butchered version of Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf that was so badly cut that whole scenes jumped wildly from one bit to the next. It was a revelation when I finally saw the uncut version on the region 1 Hammer Horror DVD set!

The first time I saw Night of the Living Dead was on (of all things) Sky One!

And the Godzilla movies on Channel 4 on Friday nights!

I had a TV in my room from a very young age so always used to see things late at night when I was meant to be asleep. One that sticks out in my memory was Demon Night with William Sadler and Billy Zane. Also, Creepshow.

I also remember seeing RoboCop for the first time really late at night too. I know it's not a horror but I just remembered it when thinking about late at night movies.

Can we just have a late night tv thread. I wanna talk about Get stuffed and Cinematractions. Maybe a bit of Sledgehammer and Herman's Head. 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Can we just have a late night tv thread. I wanna talk about Get stuffed and Cinematractions. Maybe a bit of Sledgehammer and Herman's Head. 

i remember Sledgehammer!,  i found it hysterical at the time, no doubt i'd probably think it's crap now. 

Not strictly horror films, but I miss when the BBC used to have a film on a Sunday night around midnight. There was something cozy about laying in bed watching something then, and because of it I watched all kinds of things I'd probably not have been interested in before. I mean, they may still do that, but it just isn't the same nowadays.

I remember pulling a sickie after watching a late-night double-bill of Q The Winged Serpent and Alligator. The only time I have ever done that.

Totally worth it. Would have been on C4, because I'm pretty sure 5 wasn't on air at the time.

The late night animation/anime slots on 4 were also brilliant. The Cyber City Oedo 808 dub was excellent.

• Upvote 1

No one old enough to remember the horror double bills that used to be on BBC 2 on a Saturday night? I saw loads of stuff then that shaped me; Night of the Demon (original), The Devil Rides Out, The Blood Beast Terror... Just loads of films both good and awful. 

5 hours ago, smac said:

I remember pulling a sickie after watching a late-night double-bill of Q The Winged Serpent and Alligator. The only time I have ever done that.

Totally worth it. Would have been on C4, because I'm pretty sure 5 wasn't on air at the time.

That was Moviedrome on BBC2. I remember that double bill.

I certainly remember BBC showing the old Universal and Hammer monster movies - absolutely loved them. Also remember them showing the Chinese ghost stories and Dracula films over Christmas every year :)

i rememeber taping loads of the godzilla stuff from channel 4 with introductions from the guys who hosted Vidz got memories of BBC 2 showing Dawn of the dead uncut back in 2004 when shaun of the dead came out along with day

18 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Ah, Moviedrome. Alex Cox presenting, right?

My parents were older than average and weren't interested in all the modern stuff, so we never had a video recorder until 1990 and so I only had limited access to video shops during the 80s. I made up for it by watching tons of films on TV late at night, especially Amicus/Hammer and the like.

The great thing was you only had the very limited listing in the paper to go on. There was no IMDB, no easy way to get more information, so you'd just go "yeah I'll give that a go". Looking back I actually preferred it, it was exciting, you never knew what you were going to get. Plus it felt like you were discovering something, not like now where every idiot on Youtube has posted some awful "review"* of any old rubbish.

Some of my horror favourites via late-night ITV included The Satanic Rights Of Dracula, Horror Express, Society (this was a bit later in the 90s). But lots of non-horror too, sat there feeling like I'd stumbled upon the greatest film ever when I caught Escape From New York in about 1989. I knew absolutely nothing about it, and it blew me away.

* "review" being a complete plot synopsis and ever mistake and bit of bad production pointed out for you. Absolutely hate that.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

I well remember them showing Trancers.

On 31/07/2020 at 21:06, cassidy said:

Late-night Central ITV was the best, not just for films. The obvious ones were Prisoner Cell Block H, The Hit Man And Her and The James Whale Radio Show, but things like Sledgehammer, Married With Children, Pop Down The Pub, shitty talk shows like Donahue. Central Weekend!

And don't get me started on 4Later. Those were the days.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Vimster said:

The great thing was you only had the very limited listing in the paper to go on. There was no IMDB, no easy way to get more information, so you'd just go "yeah I'll give that a go". Looking back I actually preferred it, it was exciting, you never knew what you were going to get. Plus it felt like you were discovering something, not like now where every idiot on Youtube has posted some awful "review"* of any old rubbish.

One good thing about living in London back in the day was Time Out - would clue you in on good cult movies.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s both BBC 2 and Channel 4 would show  foreign films regularly.  I remember seeing seasons of films by  Kurosawa, Renoir, Satyajit Ray, the French new wave. You also really good film programmes like Moving Pictures, Moviedrome and The Incredibly Strange film show. That programme in particular did a brilliant show about Jackie Chan's HK films, they even showed a couple of his best. As well as some HK horror films if i recall.

Nowadays we seem to have more channels but the programming is uninspired. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, smac said:

I think that was an Alex Cox era Moviedrome on BBC2. I remember it distinctly. Carnival of Souls was another one they showed which has stuck with me. I would love if they brought Moviedrome back with Mark Kermode. Or even get Mr Cox back!

12 minutes ago, mash said:

I remember back in the 80s and 90s both BBC 2 and Channel 4 would show  foreign films regularly.  I remember seeing seasons of films by  Kurosawa, Renoir, Satyajit Ray, the French new wave. You also really good film programmes like Moving Pictures, Moviedrome and The Incredibly Strange film show. That programme in particular did a brilliant show about Jackie Chan's HK films, they even showed a couple of his best. As well as some HK horror films if i recall.

Nowadays we seem to have more channels but the programming is uninspired. 

The Incredibly Strange Film Show was brilliant. I was eleven when it was on and it shaped a lot of my movie viewing tastes in the years following. I don't think I had even heard of Jackie Chan before I saw it. I loved him after seeing a couple of his HK movies.

9 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I think that was an Alex Cox era Moviedrome on BBC2. I remember it distinctly. Carnival of Souls was another one they showed which has stuck with me. I would love if they brought Moviedrome back with Mark Kermode. Or even get Mr Cox back!

Yeah, DukeOfEarlsfield also spotted that.

Great, great double-bill to put together. Haven't seen Q since.

8 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

it was Alex Cox, i believe it was 92. Alex Cox's run ended in 94. And they bought Moviedrone back in 97 with Mark Cousins. First film shown was the UK premiere of Scarface. 

i dont think it would work nowadays, biggest pleasure of Moviedrome was discovery of the unknown. I'd never heard of The Big Silence and many of the other films they screened. With so much info at our disposal it just wouldnt have the same impact.

• Upvote 3