The General PC Gaming Thread

moosegrinder

On 10/11/2020 at 17:30, simms said:

Anyone played this:

Yes! The beta looked and felt great. Thank you, I'd forgotten, grabbing it now on steam.

Grab Gunfire Reborn as well while you're at it. I only play solo so I don't know what online is like, but the game is amazing! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1217060/Gunfire_Reborn/

Also, seems a waste only posting about this in the shmup thread since only a few people seem to read that. If you've even dabbled in shooting games in the past, you neeeed to play this. It's only a 2 stage demo at the minute, but this is going to be immense!

Mechanical Star Astra - https://boghog.itch.io/mechstarastra

On 07/11/2020 at 09:51, moosegrinder said:

@Mitchell I see Avicii Invector is on your wish list.

Was playing some last night and it's great, thanks.   I don't know why, but I struggle mostly with changing direction...

Have you got VR?  I know you like music stuff, have you played Audica?  It's bloody good.  

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1020340/AUDICA_Rhythm_Shooter/

8 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Was playing some last night and it's great, thanks.   I don't know why, but I struggle mostly with changing direction...

Have you got VR?  I know you like music stuff, have you played Audica?  It's bloody good.  

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1020340/AUDICA_Rhythm_Shooter/

It's on sale on PlayStation, or it was. Been meaning to grab it.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some closure. I've googled the solution but there's a puzzle in RE:Turn that makes no sense to me. I'll spoiler it, can someone look at these parts and tell me what they think the solution is and why I'm being thick?

Spoiler

20201201102908_1.thumb.jpg.17f803150874cddb9fe8eca7130a1ef9.jpg

^this poem links to the lock below. You can move the lock below left/right 6 times. What's the solution?

20201201102922_1.thumb.jpg.c5ba2ed7db203ba115f4de8ec34b4bcd.jpg

29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I need some closure. I've googled the solution but there's a puzzle in RE:Turn that makes no sense to me. I'll spoiler it, can someone look at these parts and tell me what they think the solution is and why I'm being thick?

Hide contents

20201201102908_1.thumb.jpg.17f803150874cddb9fe8eca7130a1ef9.jpg

^this poem links to the lock below. You can move the lock below left/right 6 times. What's the solution?

20201201102922_1.thumb.jpg.c5ba2ed7db203ba115f4de8ec34b4bcd.jpg

L, L, R, R, L, R

Based on the fate of each person being attached or not.         

• 2 weeks later...

Slapshot Rebound went into early access last week, which is a developed-from-the-ground-up-in-Unity sequel to Slapshot. If you enjoy hockey games or really just organised/skill-based games, it's worth a look. The difficulty curve is a bit tricky initially - and yes, while controllers are supported now, most players do use M&KB. The action feels somewhat Rocket-Leaguey with 3-on-3 games, lots of focus on rotation and people flip-flopping between looking very fancy and very silly in equal measures.

It is also free (paid cosmetics) so nowt to lose, really. I do recommend perservering a bit as the likelihood of being cheesed-off due to uncontrolled flailing is moderate-to-high in the early offing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173370/Slapshot_Rebound/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Decided to try out the the open beta of Slipways based on RPS’ article. Fully expected to only give it a 5 minute look before moving on, but ended up spending a good chunk of time on it yesterday. It’s deceptively non-complex until you find yourself spending tens of minutes agonising over optimal trade routes.

Definitely worth a bash if it piques your interest, but bear in mind the beta ends today, so don’t delay. Full game is coming out next month.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Anyone picked up Gal Civ IV? Beta Out today, Epic exclusive....

Also, I am definitely getting Going Medieval after reading the RPS piece, looks excellent. And you can get it for £8 with your Epic voucher in the sale! 

I'll definitely be picking up going medieval, I only realised yesterday that it was on epic and also valid for the discount.

I'll also likely pick up Chicory, as that is also valid for the discount and currently sitting at the top of the year on reviews used by opencritic.

Well, the trailer was dogshit so I looked for something that'd show off the ARPG style combat and this one seemed to do that, but I imagine it's not like that all the time.

This is the sort of thing I'd play when I'm too tired to shmup so it looks relaxing and cosy to me rather than exhausting.

It's an MMO so I imagine you could just spend your time sitting around fountains and chatting to people or enjoying the scenery in between the munster bashing.

Aye, it's free to play. I got into the alpha which I think starts tonight so I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try it and it'll grab me.

I don't much care for the MMO's I dabbled in in the past, but I've been hankering for a new decent diablo style hack n slash ARPG for a while now so I hope this scratches that particular itch.

Oooft, this is far too much like an MMO for me.
Unskippable cutscenes, arseholes banging on about tomes and arks.
They were making me deliver flowers and I was just like "this is my fucking free time you're pissing up the wall!"

Combat looks the part but it just feels so flat and pointless.
The whole thing feels hollow.
Naah. Don't think this is for me.

• 1 month later...

Rail Route

This is a Rail Routing simulator and it is fantastic. You get basic tools to start (tracks, manual signal, etc) but as you complete contracts you earn money and skill points. These are then used to expand you network and improve it. Adding automation and such. I have been addicted for the past week now and have managed to make a portion of my map fully automated. It is so relaxing sitting and watching it all come together. 

image.thumb.png.67429c5d67058e2b4e464673cede118a.png

Balls. My Asus ROG Swift PG279Q (27" 165Hz IPS display, my main) is developing more and more ghosting, and just as it slipped out of the warranty period. It's like the pixel response is gradually getting worse. I tried a game for the first time in a while the other night and it's like an extremely muddy version of motion smoothing has been slapped over the top of everything.

I used to swear by Asus stuff. My old MoBo (my first piece of Asus kit) took a right hammering, and my ROG laptop is still going strong at almost eleven years. With this 2018 build I've had nothing but issues.

17 hours ago, bradigor said:

Rail Route

This is a Rail Routing simulator and it is fantastic. You get basic tools to start (tracks, manual signal, etc) but as you complete contracts you earn money and skill points. These are then used to expand you network and improve it. Adding automation and such. I have been addicted for the past week now and have managed to make a portion of my map fully automated. It is so relaxing sitting and watching it all come together. 

image.thumb.png.67429c5d67058e2b4e464673cede118a.png

Oh my god this looks like it could be excellent. 

Have you played Oxygen Not Included?  Same vibe but with a wider array of 'things' to manage and automate.