The General PC Gaming Thread

moosegrinder

I'm on a 2080Ti, loads of ventilation on the system.  I'm not much of a modern gamer on PC though, Elden Ring pushes it at 1440 to like 60 degrees etc.

With my undervolting I pushed it low enough til it crashed a few times, then just bumped a notch a little til it was stable. 

Mine is locked at 790mV, 1700MHz on profile 1. I just activate that profile when booting anything more intensive than Slay the Spire. Custom fan curve too, fan goes to 60 or so at that level. When it isn't undervolted it goes to like 75/80 degrees and drops itself to about 1730MHz so I'm losing 30MHz essentially.

Been stable, no crashes for over 18 months now.

It sort of depends on what you're looking for in a puzzle game!

I can't say how many are exclusives, but the PC is home to a particularly rich vein of sokoban-likes (highlights being Stephen's Sausage Roll; A Good Snowman is Hard to Build; Bonfire Peaks; and (my personal favourite) A Monster's Expedition. Actually, anything by Draknek (makers of everything bar SSR above) is worth a look; a world of small, smart puzzle games to be found there.

There's also the world of Zachtronics (alas that they've just exited stage left): classics such as SpaceChem, InfiniFactory and Opus Magnum. Satisfyingly convoluted games, the lot of them!

Outside of those groups, the delightful stained glass jigsaw puzzle mini-series Glass Masquerade and the rich lineage of Eyezmaze's Grow... series spring to mind as notable PC(-originating) puzzle games.

Left field option: have a look at the PICO-8 library. It's full of simple shape-matching games, if that's what you're angling for. Not particularly a series mind, just a fantasy platform that caters to 2D indie games.

A lot of the games I enjoy outside of Tetris/Lumines are all puzzle-adjacent in the purest of sense, but are worth a look: Islanders, shapez, Helltaker, There Is No Game, The Looker, and Poly Bridge.

You can technically count Satisfactory, too, as you'll be doing far too much napkin math and layout management for your own good.

This undervolting malarkey, what would be best to test the stability after the voltage has been reduced? Are there any places I can look for pointers for the card I have and what to expect?

3 minutes ago, Adrock said:

This undervolting malarkey, what would be best to test the stability after the voltage has been reduced? Are there any places I can look for pointers for the card I have and what to expect?

I would say 3DMark, and then something that makes sure the tensor cores are working right as they're usually the thing that's problematic in terms of stability with lower voltages - my go-to was usually the Bright Memory benchmark.

3D Mark can do this, but the ray tracing test isn't free, from what I recall. Might have changed since then, but I doubt it.

The best showcase for a new high refresh monitor (outside of moving windows about) has to be DOOM (2016), considering how well optimised it is. Just turn the motion blur down a bit is all I’d do.

Sorry, I've just now seen the undervolting chat from earlier in the week.

I was wondering, based on the description given, is it only of much benefit if you're maxing out your gpu?

I'm always open to optimising my system a bit more, but as-is I am mostly playing less demanding modern games or games from a few years ago (and it's on a 1440p screen, and capped at 60fps), so my 3070 typically runs at under 100watts consumption and temps no more than....50ish? Admittedly I have my fan curve bottomed-out at a flat 50% for gaming but that's to avoid the annoying stop-start that evga fans do.

Point is, I dunno if there is much to be gained in my case?

Even so, if I can legitimately make it even a tiny bit more efficient with no down-side, I don't see why I wouldnt?

Just now, Vulgar Monkey said:

Even so, if I can legitimately make it even a tiny bit more efficient with no down-side, I don't see why I wouldnt?

That's right. Although it is something that you have to manually load up with a couple of clicks before you start any gaming, so take that into account with your use case as well.

Yeah I undervolted my 3080FE shortly after I bought it (and opened it up and replaced the crappy thermal pads it came with) and it massively reduced energy consumption and heat whilst keeping the performance pretty much identical. Well worth doing. 

3 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Stupid question.....is there a reason they don't just ship like this? 

I assume 'so they can squeeze out an extra .5% in benchmarks'.

That's right, more or less. That includes games as well, but ultimately that's what gets the bar in the chart to be larger than the competitor's product, efficiency be damned.

However, to be fair, it's also a matter of the silicon lottery, similar to overclocking - they have to not just set the performance to be standard across cards they sell, but also the juice it requires to do that.

Of course, the 'dangers' are far less riskier than pumping too much juice or ramping the GPU clocks high - if the card doesn't have enough power when you're purposefully undervolting a card, it just crashes the driver or causes the card to stop and restart, uninterrupting the actual computer. It's not something you want to ship to customers, though. There's a happy medium they've got to achieve, in accordance to Nvidia's guidance to the architecture of the card.

4 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Stupid question.....is there a reason they don't just ship like this? 

I assume 'so they can squeeze out an extra .5% in benchmarks'.

Some gaming laptops are essentially undervolted from the factory these days and conversely, most high end aftermarket GFX cards are essentially overclocked. You can usually do better tuning it yourself though as they never custom fit it to the exact tolerances of the specific chip, way too much work involved.

Interesting to see UV finally becoming more mainstream.

Recommended Match 3 game where you slide blocks into one another, which slide into other blocks depending on where you place them and can create bigger combos in the process. A puzzle game with a relaxing sort of energy to it (Mixolumia).

gyejYYU.mp4

22 hours ago, mushashi said:

You can usually do better tuning it yourself though as they never custom fit it to the exact tolerances of the specific chip, way too much work involved.

I used to wonder the same myself, but this is precisely it. All chips overclock, some chips overclock better than others, and a small number of them overclock exceedingly well. It's a total lottery.

They wouldn't ever be able to get away with a drivers feature that benchmarks each device and then undervolts/overclocks accordingly for the very best results. You'd have people asking for refunds/returns until they get a top 3% chip. It's much better to target the lowest common denominator and market accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bradigor said:

This came out of nowhere! I really enjoyed the original release, so for less than £5 I am tempted.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/287310/ReVolt/

Having only becoming a PC gamer and Steam customer in the last few weeks I’m really finding it to be financial death by a thousand cuts. 

All these “fuck it…it’s only a couple of quid” moments soon start to add up don’t they. 

The real danger zone is bundles from Humble, IndieGala or Fanatical.

Humble Bundles are the equivalent of those 90s charity packages of PS1 games or the budget range that used to languish in WH Smith's, except they're all the games from only about a year ago and you're basically dragging your arm across the shelf to put them in your shopping basket.

It's equal parts great and terrifying, really.

The PC ecosystem is great for very, very quickly building a large library of titles, but as you say, all those cheapie add up quickly. 

You're probably lucky you missed back when Steam sales were properly good, wallets felt the pain! 

Especially as nobody ever plays their games ;)

• 1 month later...

I recently bought an ultra wide 1440p monitor, mainly for work purposes (one of my 24" 1080p screens had an unfortunate accident) but I tried out ultra-wide gaming, it really does add something (I wish it was an OLED though!). https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M34WQ

However I'm having connectivity issues with my Lenovo Legion 15, HDMI won't work on POST (laptop freezes) and GSync won't enable, USB-C > USB-C also doesn't allow GSync, USB-C > DisplayPort does but it seems to struggle to negotiate the connection - sometimes it works perfectly, other times the screen flickers on and off, the resolution is completely wrong, or the external display output just stops when I open a game. I'm tempted to send it back for a 4K monitor, not sure it'll help with this issue but will give the correct aspect ratio for streaming to other devices. 🤔

It's not lost on me that I bought a monitor for work and keep thinking about gaming. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reviving this thread, I am going to be building a PC from my son's leftovers - I would like to hook it up to my monitor AND the OLED TV (at the other end of the room).

Has anyone done similar? How did you setup games to switch between the two resolutions seamlessly?

Having only just got into PC gaming in the last couple of months there will be people much better qualified to answer you but doesn't it just happen automatically depending on the screen you're connected to at any given time? 

I've just bought a new monitor this weekend and all my games seem to have automatically changed over to the new resolution with no input from myself. At least the ones I've looked at anyway. 

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

Reviving this thread, I am going to be building a PC from my son's leftovers - I would like to hook it up to my monitor AND the OLED TV (at the other end of the room).

Has anyone done similar? How did you setup games to switch between the two resolutions seamlessly?

I've got a similar setup. I use two monitors at my desk, but switch to a 4K (sadly not OLED) TV for most games. I've got a bit of an arcane way to switch between the two setups involving third party software and a batch file to keep the screen layout correct, but it's a lot easier if you've just got one monitor and the TV. Basically WIN+P is your friend when you're switching between the two, as this lets you quickly switch between either monitor, or both in duplicate or extended modes.

I'd recommend only using one screen at a time when gaming ("PC screen only" or "Second screen only" in the WIN+P menu), as while many games behave well with multiple displays enabled, some seem to freak out a bit, especially when you're using two very different resolutions. 

As for the playing games at both resolutions, they usually work just fine. If you have borderless windowed mode set then they should automatically match your screen resolution anyway. I generally play games exclusively on one screen or the other, but on the odd occasion I have played the same game on both they automatically match the native res in full screen too. Your mileage may vary though.

• 1 month later...

GOG Galaxy is getting a push via Epic. This is an interesting move - help people move away from Steam being the place where you actually buy PC games. Good for GOG too of course - makes sense as a partnership. I wonder if we'll see links to buy games on Epic on GOG Galaxy too.

Between the free games boosting my collection massively (with some really good quality titles along the way) and the coupons during sales, it's not always a Steam purchase for me.

I quite like GOG Galaxy too (aka my Cyberpunk launcher). I often use it to check if I already own a game when I'm culling various wishlists.

image.png.434ad5c02b6b0395346835fd8e2d46c6.png