The General PC Gaming Thread

moosegrinder

Thankfully, on Linux, you can ignore all this launcher-in-launcher bollocks and just use Heroic to manage both sources in the same place.

Same with Lutris for, well, everything.

Actually, that does remind me to take a look at Nobara Project - a flavour of Fedora Linux that GloriousEggroll (of ProtonGE fame) is working on. Comes with a bunch of additional gaming bobbins on a pretty reliable base, so that's cool.

Honestly, I claim the free games on Epic every week even if I have to actually play any of them yet. I never browse the Epic store though and unless it's a big name exclusive I have no idea of what's even available there. 

In fact I have bought games on Steam that I already own on Epic just so I can have achievements, trading cards, forums etc

I think the success of the Steam Deck will do far more to lock people into Steam than this will cause people to shop elsewhere. 

Plus why would I want to move away from Steam? For me it is by far the best digital store and i include the console stores in this. I mean when Epic were introducing a shopping cart to their store, whoopee, Valve were announcing the Steam Deck. Bringing hand held PCs to a reasonable price and introducing lots of people that would never have considered a hand held PC before to them. 

20 minutes ago, Siri said:

Thankfully, on Linux, you can ignore all this launcher-in-launcher bollocks and just use Heroic to manage both sources in the same place.

I already use GOG Galaxy so it doesn't have to be launcher in a launcher - it's a nice interface imo. I'm more interested in this partnership between Epic and GOG.

8 minutes ago, Mallet said:

In fact I have bought games on Steam that I already own on Epic just so I can have achievements, trading cards, forums etc

Everyone's mileage/value will vary of course but I couldn't bring myself to do this. I do love Steam but I'm happy to use other sources too.

Steam Deck is an attractive proposition for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I've successfully implemented a gaming PC connected to the TV, my son approves and is playing on it more than me.

Nobara OS was good but eventually abandoned, I couldn't see any benefit for the extra effort it took and VRR/Freesync did not work over HDMI. Windows 11 now in place, with Playnite as the front end. There is some setup after initial install of new games, but once setup it's nice and slick.

One hiccup - my Xbox Wireless Adapter has failed, it's not detected by Windows (no light, not visible in device manager at all) which is unfortunate as they now seem difficult to get hold of. The Bluetooth receiver I'm using isn't brilliant with occasional disconnects so I need a solution. Is anyone using the 8bitdo Wireless USB Adapter 2?

I also have a Steam controller which is fine to use for some games, but my son isn't a fan 'what is this?!' 🤣.

I'm contemplating clearing out some tat to fund upgrades, but for now the R5 3600 and RX580 are just about good enough, not sure how long that'll last for (I briefly ran F1 2020 at 4K60 on the TV using my RTX2060 equipped laptop, it was nice).