Pikmin 3 Deluxe - Switch - October 30th

I mean they're alright, but this fake outrage about not being able to buy Pikmin 3, a seven year old game, off the Wii U eShop anymore is hilarious. I'm amazed people are even still visiting the store! Were any of you waiting for the price to drop in a sale before pulling the trigger on it or something? :lol:

• Upvote 5

Actually considering picking up a WiiU at some point to play some of the old games again and the fact that it is BC with my ageing Wii too.

Our of interest does the WiiU support all Wii peripherals like the Wii Fit board?

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Actually considering picking up a WiiU at some point to play some of the old games again and the fact that it is BC with my ageing Wii too.

Our of interest does the WiiU support all Wii peripherals like the Wii Fit board?

Yes it does, obviously game dependent though.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Pretty sure it will do because it boots into a full "wii mode". Google says yes for wii fit board. 

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I mean they're alright, but this fake outrage about not being able to buy Pikmin 3, a seven year old game, off the Wii U eShop anymore is hilarious. I'm amazed people are even still visiting the store! Were any of you waiting for the price to drop in a sale before pulling the trigger on it or something? :lol:

Being in disagreement isn’t outrage, as @The Mighty Ash pointed out it’s just the principle behind it when other games are still freely available. The fact not many people would buy it anyway just reinforces why it’s mean spirited, they should at least have the choice as it’s not likely it will hugely impact Switch sales, and as I said to begin with it benefits no one, and doesn’t require any maintenance work on Nintendo’s behalf, it’s just a file on a server. 

Apparently Nintendo have done this eshop faffery before with earlier Wii U to Switch ports like Bayonetta, but they only take them down for a while when the new version is announced then put them back up once the buzz has died down. I can't corroborate this but that's what I read on Resetera anyway. 

• Upvote 1

It's nice to see a release for this title, but looking at that trailer it seems an absolutely bare metal port. I'd really of expected at least a texture hike, performance permitting. It really wouldn't have taken a lot to do. Given the situation, I'm fine with Nintendo leaning into their catalogue to support a bare schedule, but a little more spit and polish would have gone a long way.

7 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

Apparently Nintendo have done this eshop faffery before with earlier Wii U to Switch ports like Bayonetta, but they only take them down for a while when the new version is announced then put them back up once the buzz has died down. I can't corroborate this but that's what I read on Resetera anyway. 

Bayonetta is still gone from the Wii U eShop, but Tropical Freeze did go and came back, as did New Super Mario Bros U.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, deKay said:

For games that are many years old and now on current systems... I’m not sure there’s a need now? So long as people can redownload games they’ve bought I don’t see the problem. Was anyone really waiting 7 years, 3 years past the death of the Wii U commercially, before deciding to pick up Pikmin 3 digitally?

If it was ONLY on the Wii U, and ONLY available digitally, you’d have a point.

@johnjpicked it up for the first time a month or two ago, iirc. If Nintendo have still got the WiiU store up and are happy with people buying titles still (and they do, or it'd be gone), I think you can understand why people find it a bit rubbish that they take some of the games for that console away because pricier ports have been released on a different machine. 

The later revelation that they come back is good news, obviously, although I'd be surprised if the average consumer is made aware of that.

On 05/08/2020 at 19:33, the_debaser said:

The first one stressed me out too much with the time limit.

Same, initially - but do try it again if you ever get the chance. I played it through with my nieces a few years back with them all noisily directing my actions. We ended up with about 10 days to spare by the end of it.

When I play on my lonesome I try to play perfectly without losing a single Pikmin, although I got far too stressed out with trying to heavily multitask on 3. I say that as a Diamond league SC2 player. I could probably repeat the stages over and over and over in order to nail things but I never had the patience for that.

• Upvote 1

I've no real issue with Wii U versions disappearing from sale when they republish but I think it's sad they consider it necessary. If they were doing a "good" re-release with a graphical upgrade then they wouldn't need to pull down the old ones. I think most people would happily pay more for a superior (at least graphically) version. But in this case given that the deluxe looks pretty bad (i.e. a pure port) then it's a cheap ass move.

• Empathy 1

It’s not a pure port though is it. It’s got new mission content. And the whole thing can also be played co-op now. Why does everyone just keep ignoring that?

I’m happy Pikmin will get a bigger audience. I hope it does well. I’d love to see more from the franchise.

• Upvote 3

People even do it with games that are actual sequels, like Splatoon 2.

To be fair, Nintendo removing the original from the Wii eShop is pretty shitty, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about paying fifty quid for it. It'll probably be about a third less than that where I am, so it's easier for me to say it's decent value.

If you’ve not played it, and plenty of people haven’t, Pikmin 3 is as worth the RRP as thousands of other games. It’s a delightful thing.

If you’ve already beaten it then absolutely it’s not worth full price again, and I won’t be paying it. But if you haven’t, then yeah it’s worth it easily.

Only Nintendo has the stats on that, and as their action is to have taken Pikmin 3 down on there, it stands to reason that it's: not zero. I'm always amazed when I idly boot up the PS3, 3DS or WiiU stores and there are changing charts, user ratings and other little clues about quiet, ongoing activity. Or 3DS themes for games only out on the Switch. 

This year, Nintendo took down the WiiU/3DS eshops 'in certain Latin American and Caribbean countries by 31st July 2020'. But not everywhere. No way will the WiiU eshop last for as long as the Wii eshop (finally shut down last year) as the userbase isn't there, but as enthusiast adults (who can buy every console and lament their piles of shame on rllmuk) it's surprising how many people are out there playing old consoles, more casually, for ages. I've got a neighbour who never moved on from the PS2, but still actively plays it and shops for new games at CEX like it's 2003! :D

7 sales of Pikmin 3U have been dodged just in time, saving Nintendo $240. 

Edit: Just caught your fake outrage point, @Bojangle. Probably not the case. Fine if you don't care or agree but doesn't mean someone else's take is fake or in bad faith. This isn't a politics thread - unless Louie departed Hocotate for darker reasons I'm unaware of. 

• Upvote 2

I don't see how this has anything to do with income for Nintendo. If they made it the same price or more on Wii U, they're not losing out.  

Maybe it's for SEO/marketing reasons. When someone searches "Pikmin 3 eshop" they don't want them landing on the Wii U page. They want this to appear like it's a brand new game on Switch and not a port of an old game. 

I'm actual missing the last set of DLC on Wii U I think, so yeah, boohoo for me. 

7 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Only Nintendo has the stats on that, and as their action is to have taken Pikmin 3 down on there, it stands to reason that it's: not zero. I'm always amazed when I idly boot up the PS3, 3DS or WiiU stores and there are changing charts, user ratings and other little clues about quiet, ongoing activity. Or 3DS themes for games only out on the Switch. 

This year, Nintendo took down the WiiU/3DS eshops 'in certain Latin American and Caribbean countries by 31st July 2020'. But not everywhere. No way will the WiiU eshop last for as long as the Wii eshop (finally shut down last year) as the userbase isn't there, but as enthusiast adults (who can buy every console and lament their piles of shame on rllmuk) it's surprising how many people are out there playing old consoles, more casually, for ages. I've got a neighbour who never moved on from the PS2, but still actively plays it and shops for new games at CEX like it's 2003! :D

7 sales of Pikmin 3U have been dodged just in time, saving Nintendo $240. 

Edit: Just caught your fake outrage point, @Bojangle. Probably not the case. Fine if you don't care or agree but doesn't mean someone else's take is fake or in bad faith. This isn't a politics thread - unless Louie departed Hocotate for darker reasons I'm unaware of. 

I find it quite heartwarming that people are content with older tech and take the time to get the most out of a system, we’re often so quick to move onto bigger, better, faster that it’s easy to forget and ignore the huge amount of quality from video games past; in some cases really recent as with the Wii U, I’d really like to pick one up - still sad it’s the first Nintendo system since the SNES that I didn’t buy. Should have known better. 

3>1>2 for me.

Three really benefits from the splashy HD update and the world felt much more realise and all the systems are neater and tidier - mission dialogue and characters are funnier too. One I played near its launch and felt fresh at the time. Two I played recently - I felt like they made it much harder and there was a lot of quite boring dungeon crawling - I'm not playing pikimin to spend a lot of time underground, I want to be in a jungle moving giant packets of frosties around.

I wouldn't pay £50 for any game so its a bit moot but at £30 that seems like fair value and I'd deffo encourage anyone who hasn't played to have a go, its glorious and 3 is a great place to start. The Eurogamer review is excellent: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-10-pikmin-3-review and the opening paragraph is spot on:

Legend has it that the Pikmin series began life as its creator's response to starting a garden. In truth, though, it feels more like his response to starting a family. This is a game built of empathy and responsibility - a game about exploring a familiar world from an unfamiliar, childlike vantage point, and about trying to ensure that the equally childlike characters who assist you on the journey come to no harm along the way.

• Upvote 3