IGNORED

Pikmin 3 Deluxe - Switch - October 30th

Quest

• 3 weeks later...

Have been mainlining this over the past few days and now reached what feels like the last boss. It’s as brilliant as I remember the original but my god is it stressful. I can’t think of another game that punishes failure on an emotional level as harshly as Pikmin. 

I mean, I’ve played hard games - Bloodborne, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Cuphead - but none of them make the potential consequences of failing a tough challenge seem so daunting. I almost don’t want to try again!

And done! Had to reset once to bring back my little guys back once I realised I was doing the fight all wrong. :D

Now to play the optional extras. At less than 9 hours the story mode is a pretty slight experience but I’m not entirely complaining given the size of my backlog. 

22 minutes ago, Popo said:

And done! Had to reset once to bring back my little guys back once I realised I was doing the fight all wrong. :D

Now to play the optional extras. At less than 9 hours the story mode is a pretty slight experience but I’m not entirely complaining given the size of my backlog. 

For me the main story was just the warm up for mission mode. Trying to get the platinum on each level is up there with the best gaming ever. 

I’ve started on the side missions. The first tranche were pretty easy and I got platinum medals but the second lot are pretty tough! Took me 3 attempts to beat the timer and get the ship engine (although when I did I smashed it).

requires a lot of lateral thinking. Good stuff. 

On 28/12/2020 at 15:57, Popo said:

Have been mainlining this over the past few days and now reached what feels like the last boss. It’s as brilliant as I remember the original but my god is it stressful. I can’t think of another game that punishes failure on an emotional level as harshly as Pikmin. 

I mean, I’ve played hard games - Bloodborne, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Cuphead - but none of them make the potential consequences of failing a tough challenge seem so daunting. I almost don’t want to try again!

The final boss is the only part of the game I don’t really like. I just don’t enjoy that last level at all tbh. Everything else is golden though. 

I’m on second run through on ultra spicy and it’s a lot tougher on fruit. I’m at the last level but don’t have enough to complete it so revisiting other places. 
Embarrassingly I just couldn’t kill this big tall hairy 4 legged job with a beard no matter what I tried. Lost stacks of Pikmin.  In the background (being ignored) my 5 year old was saying ‘you’ve got to get the hairy knees first, you’ve got to get the hairy knees....’.  He was right of course. 

What a treat - my 5 year old just discovered a load more levels open up on the treasure levels once you’ve got a certain number of medals. 
I really thought it was a bit lumpy at retail price but there’s actually quite a lot of content. 

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve finally picked this up while my TV is in for repair and therefore not using my Series X. 

Is there a way to split up your Pikmin by colour? I seem to remember in the first 2 games that with one button press your squad would split into red/blue/yellow/etc but I can only seem to achieve this by throwing them to one side which takes a bit of time if you have a big squad with you. 

10 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’ve finally picked this up while my TV is in for repair and therefore not using my Series X. 

Is there a way to split up your Pikmin by colour? I seem to remember in the first 2 games that with one button press your squad would split into red/blue/yellow/etc but I can only seem to achieve this by throwing them to one side which takes a bit of time if you have a big squad with you. 

I think it’s hold  ‘y’ then down on the d pad once or twice depending on what split you want. 

18 minutes ago, bear said:

This final boss is shite. In general the boss fights have been the weakest part of the game. 

We’re it not for my son I think I would’ve sacked it off. I didn’t enjoy a single bit of that last level. 
Everything else in the game is A1 mind...

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to playing this on switch and it's as great as ever, but way shorter than I remembered.

That last level in the tree is such a weird one. The whole game is completely relaxing, giving you so much fruit that it allows you potter about for around a Pikmin decade, then they throw in this level where a blob chases you around. I get they were going for a final challenge which made the most of 3 characters to control but I could see that being frustrating for many people. Still, a solid 9/10. The best PIkmin to date.

On 07/08/2020 at 11:13, Colonel Panic said:

Most stressful part of Pikmin isn’t the time limit. It’s losing Pikmin. 

I purposefully threw a few pikmin outside the safe zone every day just so the spotted frog things had something to eat before bed time.

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Finally got round to playing this on switch and it's as great as ever, but way shorter than I remembered.

That last level in the tree is such a weird one. The whole game is completely relaxing, giving you so much fruit that it allows you potter about for around a Pikmin decade, then they throw in this level where a blob chases you around. I get they were going for a final challenge which made the most of 3 characters to control but I could see that being frustrating for many people. Still, a solid 9/10. The best PIkmin to date.

See I think all the extra bits give you more than enough gameplay. 
we’re still rinsing the treasure collecting and Pikmin bingo. There’s always a level with a high medal left to get.