Daytona USA Vs Ridge Racer Console Launch

6 hours ago, dumpster said:

Another question would be... Seeing as how the Xbox and PS3 got the perfect arcade conversion, does that render the Saturn versions obsolete anyway? Is there any point other than nostalgia to play a previous home conversion when a perfect one exists?

This is a good question - despite having the 360 version on a nice big TV on a proper sound system etc I still prefer the Saturn version and hardly ever play the 360 one. They are obviously very different games.

I also quite like the Dreamcast version once I adjust to the twitch-o-matic controls. 

I play the 360 version via BC for convenience reasons. I couldn't get on with Daytona 2001, something felt off about it. I guess because it was not Daytona 2: Battle on the Edge like it should have been.

On 06/08/2020 at 12:28, Kevvy Metal said:

They both have really cool 2nd versions too. 

Daytona : CCE kinda strays away from the original a bit, but is still great. 

There's also the 60 fps version of RR that came bundled with type 4 in japan. 

RR Hi Spec (60fps, analogue (dual shock) and rumble support) was released outside of Japan with Type 4.  I wasn't a Playstation user, but it must have been amazing picking that bundle up at the time!  Both fantastic games.

When it comes to all available versions of Daytona, how does the Switch version stack up?  What is it in terms of Arcade / Saturn / the later version / 2001 etc?

It's not a game I've played a lot of, but I'm intruiged.

Edit: Did I imagine Daytona being released on Switch :ph34r:

12 hours ago, pastry said:

I Ridge Racer became one of the PS1 cultural icons just like Wipeout, it had all the ingredients and was just significantly more "cool" than Daytona, which had weird music, less interesting cars vs RR's super dorifto models, traditional track vs city courses... and no Galaxian – which was just such a neat touch!

RR benefitted more from the PlayStation’s cool factor than the other way around though. 

If I remember rightly, Type 4 came with the Ridge Racer Hi-Spec demo only, where the Japanese disk has the full Ridge Racer on the Hi-Spec disk and a load of demos.  But the Japanese Hi-Spec demo still ran that bit faster and smoother than the PAL conversion.  The did optimise the PAL version but natively running the Japan version was still better.  

24 minutes ago, dumpster said:

If I remember rightly, Type 4 came with the Ridge Racer Hi-Spec demo only, where the Japanese disk has the full Ridge Racer on the Hi-Spec disk and a load of demos.  But the Japanese Hi-Spec demo still ran that bit faster and smoother than the PAL conversion.  The did optimise the PAL version but natively running the Japan version was still better.  

NTSC games back then would run at 60fps, Pal games at 50fps. We did have a higher resolution though, hence the black borders for unoptimised games.

The Dreamcast was the first console to address this, by offering us PAL games a 60hz mode if your TV could handle it. We've alot to thank Sega for.

8 hours ago, Freeman said:

RR Hi Spec (60fps, analogue (dual shock) and rumble support) was released outside of Japan with Type 4.  I wasn't a Playstation user, but it must have been amazing picking that bundle up at the time!  Both fantastic games.

When it comes to all available versions of Daytona, how does the Switch version stack up?  What is it in terms of Arcade / Saturn / the later version / 2001 etc?

It's not a game I've played a lot of, but I'm intruiged.

Edit: Did I imagine Daytona being released on Switch :ph34r:

You did! You might be thinking of Virtua Racing perhaps?

I’m not much in the habit of playing my 360 anymore (and it’ll be consigned to storage once the next generation rolls round) but I do still fire it up for quick blasts on Daytona USA. It’s sublime. I don’t even think I played it in the arcade - I think my first experience was the Japanese Saturn version, which is still brilliant once you’re eyes adjust to the graphics and frame rate. CCE isn’t really Daytona, and the Dreamcast version gets close but isn’t quite right. 

It’s interesting that so many attempts to bring Daytona home were made but couldn’t quite capture the magic. I wonder why? Bad luck, or a secret sauce that’s hard to replicate? I’d love a Switch version (and Sega Rally, while we’re at it) just so I don’t need to dust off the 360 in the future. One things for sure - it’s a shite sight better than Ridge Racer. 

So the 360 one is a port of the original, not CCE, and it’s backwards (forwards...) compatible with the Xbox One it seems, possible daft questions...

Is it analogue (the Saturn one presumably wasn’t) and does it support force feedback? Am I getting ahead of myself..?

11 minutes ago, Freeman said:

So the 360 one is a port of the original, not CCE, and it’s backwards (forwards...) compatible with the Xbox One it seems, possible daft questions...

Is it analogue (the Saturn one presumably wasn’t) and does it support force feedback? Am I getting ahead of myself..?

Yea it’s a port of the arcade version and it plays spot-on. Analogue, yes, and I think it rumbles, hard to remember, like 3D in movies I tend to tune out rumble!

On 11/08/2020 at 20:31, Freeman said:

It’s a shame it didn’t have a 4:3 option. Doesn’t look quite right in 16:9

I remember way back playing Daytona in the arcades. I was already a big fan of Virtua Racing, but Daytona was something else entirely. It had my family stood around the cabinets as me and my step-dad were having races against one another. My nan would throw more coins at me to keep playing despite it being £1 a pop. I remember one race where there was a huge collision directly in front of my and I managed to speed through the mess of flying cars everywhere without taking a scratch. It was a proper "WTF!" moment and I remember looking at my nan and even she was excited by it!

As the months turned to years I'd yearned for Sega to quit messing around with Mega Drive expansions and bring out a proper 3D console so that we could play this at home. The Saturn came along but it was just too expensive, and Daytona looked heartbreakingly shite while also receiving bad press. Somehow I ended up with a PlayStation on launch day, mainly because of the hype at the time.

Anyway, long story short come late '96 I ended up swapping my PSX for my mates' older brother's Saturn with a stack of games. VF1/VF2, Sega Rally, Daytona... all the good stuff (bar Virtua Cop, which my grandad picked up for me as a gift later). Sega Rally was(is) great of course, but each day before school I'd get up super-early to cram in Daytona. I couldn't believe how well it played, all this coming off of the back of absolutely rinsing Ridge Racer Revolution for ages with me and my mates competing over TT.

I absolutely loved that machine, and selling it all off to fund the upcoming N64 was my first time experiencing deep regret with 'getting rid' of something. Obviously I made up for it by ploughing into imports once I started work the next year.

The 360 port was a gift from the heavens. As is Switch Virtua Racing. I came back upstairs just now with my batteries intending to play something at my desk, I reckon I'm going back down for some Daytona instead. :)

On 11/08/2020 at 17:48, dumpster said:

No full version of Ridge on any Hi Spec region. 

3 minutes ago, nakamura said:

No full version of Ridge on any Hi Spec region. 

Thought there was one where you got the full standard Ridge Racer (not enhanced) and the Hi Spec demo (only one other vehicle on the track) and a load of demos .  But I'm probably wrong.

I spent a while a couple of years back burning tons of PSX discs. The JPN. Hi Spec Ridge is one of them. It's certainly not the full game, and I came away thinking of it as more of a delayed tech demo than anything else.

I gave it a couple of laps. It takes me a few hours to sink into any Ridge game, especially the newer ones where the beginning races are so, so sterile. With the Sega racers you can jam them from the get go on Manual transmission and get that rush back instantly, or at least within a few corners.

On 11/08/2020 at 20:31, Freeman said:

The 360 version is so good that I don't even know why it's a debate as to which game is better. It has a fantastic online mode which makes those 80 lap races the most intense racing experience ever, allowing for some actual tactics. It's amazing seeing people stay out for longer without pitting, really pushing those tyres until it's like driving on ice whilst the people who pitted 5 laps earlier are starting to gain time. It was crazy because it was the most arcadey racing game yet felt more like actual racing than all the sims on a console.

I still play it on my Xbox One using backwards compatibility with my Logitech G920 and the FF works fine.

I wish they'd release Daytona Championship USA on the current gen. It already works on PCs just fine. 

I find it sad that NAMCO have abandoned Ridge Racer. Was genuinely expecting a remake of sorts for the next gen reveals.

I've been playing some Daytona today. Mainly trying to skim my time down on the Three-Seven Speedway. I really feel like I could be doing with a wheel.

Still, it's absolutely fantastic. It's a shame it's not on the Switch (yet). I reckon even a 3DS version would have worked out just fine.

My main memory from those days was that Daytona impressed me because you could see cloud reflections in the car windows. I had no idea how 3D graphics worked - I couldn't really comprehend it yet - but I knew that Daytona had cloud reflections in the windows and Ridge Racer didn't, so Daytona looked cooler.

On 06/08/2020 at 20:14, mash said:

Yes, Daytona was a mess technically. But it played better than Ridge Racer and surely that's what matters. The Saturn version  captured the feel of Daytona and Daytona USA was an infinitely superior game to RR. Once you'd played the 1 track and its three variations you were pretty much done. 

Original Saturn Daytona was far better than the crappy improved version Daytona CCE and it had better handling than the Dreamcast version too.

Do not agree. At all.